• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Appearance of Spider-Man's Black Costume Anywhere?

120 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, MR SigS said:

You're all wrong.:nyah:

The artwork is the first appearance the moment someone other than the artist sees it :insane:

j/k

If a claim can be made that the official 1st appearance of a character can take place outside of a comic book story, then where can those claims end? 

If people want to get really loony, Zeck's original art for all the "previews" is the REAL "first appearance"....wait, unless Zeck sketched it on a sheet of paper...or a napkin! Someone find that napkin!!

meh

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

On 4/11/2019 at 3:15 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

Was there ever an actual reason said for going with the black and white costume as opposed to the black and red one?  Wonder if Shooter made the final call on that.

There actually was here is Ron Frenz on Facebook telling a fan in one of his threads why it happens . Essentially in eleventh hour or last minutes leading to printing the choice was made to use white as red and black during printing on smaller images formed blobs that like dbad visually . White was cleaner for printing reasons . That’s it!

F58DBDC3-1B65-470F-8FA1-78B9EC49523A.png

59B39BEA-C607-4E25-9F0C-373A5E938B0C.png

A8BC2A63-7D19-4939-AB71-B8A657A21559.png

Edited by Subby1938

1562243427_spiderycostumezeck.png.cb4604679917256b33af3db8db1ee8be.png

On 4/17/2019 at 9:35 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

If people want to get really loony, Zeck's original art for all the "previews" is the REAL "first appearance"....wait, unless Zeck sketched it on a sheet of paper...or a napkin! Someone find that napkin!!

meh

Anybody impressed that I knew this...?

hm

No...?

Drat.

:D

21 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

There actually was here is Ron Frenz on Facebook telling a fan in one of his threads why it happens . Essentially in eleventh hour or last minutes leading to printing the choice was made to use white as red and black during printing on smaller images formed blobs that like dbad visually . White was cleaner for printing reasons . That’s it!

Good for you for tracking this down. That's the way to do proper research. I applaud your dedication to finding the answers; that's the only way the truth ever really comes out.

I don't agree with your conclusion...but good job doing the legwork.

:applause:

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

1562243427_spiderycostumezeck.png.cb4604679917256b33af3db8db1ee8be.png

Anybody impressed that I knew this...?

hm

No...?

Drat.

:D

Seeking continuous affirmation  . . .  you seriously need a good therapist. :bigsmile:

16 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

It’s funny how many Spiderman costumes today or at least in modern era used this black and red combo . Either way it would have been a winner red or white . It’s still the first printed app in comic format Marvel Age 12 . See Ya!

The reason for this is that getting the color right is much easier with computers now. Before computer coloring, all of the original linework was initially printed black, and the color was printed in cyan, magenta, and yellow. This is why you'll see ghosts of color behind the black on older comics; because they cut out shapes of the color to go behind the black, and it extended beyond the edge of where the black met the color. See this adjusted image, and you can see a hint of the edge of the red inside the line:

94046EA5-8DE5-4632-A130-964E3014AAFA.jpeg.d2bb027eac0b022eff75b55de49087f4.jpg.e2bb2384ba91283d5975e189a061c821.jpg

With computer coloring now, the black is richer because there are percentages of cyan, magenta, and yellow boosting the depth of the black in the dark areas.

As an avid Spider-Man reader during that period, in terms of books coming out on Newsstands, the ASM 252 was the first one out of the gate, Spectacular and Marvel Team-Up came after. The frustrating part was having to wait months to find out where the costume came from in the days before internet spoilers. 

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:43 AM, bellrules said:

As an avid Spider-Man reader during that period, in terms of books coming out on Newsstands, the ASM 252 was the first one out of the gate, Spectacular and Marvel Team-Up came after. The frustrating part was having to wait months to find out where the costume came from in the days before internet spoilers. 

Those were the good old days. :preach: I'll never understand the need to know what's going to happen (or any other info) before paying money to read/see it. 

On 1/12/2013 at 12:31 AM, MrWeen said:

Marvel Team-Up 141 is one of my most prized Marvel comics for a few reasons. This book has a 75 cent Canadian Variant that is nearly impossible to find, there is a Mark Jeweler Variant, it features one of the earliest appearances of Spider-Man's black costume, oh and the cover was done by Mignola! There are so many things about this book that make it a true comic/Spider-Man collectible. If only I could find the original cover art I would gladly sacrifice my lowest hanging testicle.

I have one of these at home I bought at the gas station back in the day, can be seen here

SM4.thumb.JPG.3765ca872f2ada4e8385811b732fa758.JPG

I've talked to Mike Zeck a number of times about the creation of the black costume over the years... Mike was the original creator of the black costume design and was paid by Marvel for his designs.  He created them in advance of Secret Wars since it was a planned reveal later in the series and they wanted to start drawing it the month Secret Wars #1 hit the stands.  Alas, the original artwork for that design (which had a slightly more alien looking head) hasn't shown itself since its creation and was never published anywhere.  The design that was published In Marvel Age #12 was a rendition that was done by Leonardi to share with other creators.  Mike always intended it to be B&W.  As he will tell you... that's the natural color scheme you'd choose if you were design a costume based on a spider.

And no, that napkin drawing isn't Mike's.  Mike knows how to draw feet!

Edited by comiconxion

On 4/10/2019 at 1:38 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

This. A million times this. Previews, ads, editorials and marketing have their place in the esoterica of collecting, but in the lexicon of collecting, an appearance is in a story

No, see Red Hulk and a host of others.  Many collectors might prefer first appearances happen in stories but there is no definition that supports this.