• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's All Buy Joanna A DVD Player...

74 posts in this topic

I just ordered a DVD player. Movie reviews will be forthcoming, and if you'd like, I'll let you guys help me choose who to vote for for the awards. I'll post a list of nominees tonight.

My sincerest thanks to all of you. I'm pretty much speechless about this kind of generosity so I hope an inadequate "thank you" is enough.

-- Joanna, the tongue-tied

murph,

There was $80, so I added $20 and bought the Sony. I bought it through Good Guys because if you order on their website, there's no tax or shipping, the price is the price. $50 is too much for me to come up with, but $20 I could do. I've been reading the reviews and reports on the various machines and it looks like the Sony has the best reviews for its price. The APEX didn't fare as well at all. Several people had a lot of trouble with it (one guy was on his 3rd machine. Seems to me a person should just give up after a point). It would kill me to finally get a machine and then have it not work. The Sony had 5 out of 5 stars from customers.

-- Joanna

I've also got some old DVDs that have been gathering dust since I got on

NetFlix: Gone with the Wind, City Lights, Dracula, Armageddon, .. (I forget).

If you want these for your new player, Joanna, just PM me a shipping

address.

> Is that the Dracula with Gary Oldmen?...I love that version...

This is the original Bela Lugosi version. I forgot to mention

the original "Nosferatu" is part of the set as well, although I am not

sure that's the best goodnight movie for Joanna right now... I'm a big

fan of early horror movies myself.

---

Edited with PRs info.

Sony makes an excellent DVD player

You ain't lyin', Murph. I've had 4 DVD players - Magnavox, APEX, Toshiba, and Sony. Gave my sister the Magnavox, my girl the APEX, my Dad the Toshiba, and I kept the Sony for myself!!! No problems at all! smile.gif

Chris

I just wanted to point out APEX makes one of the cheapest, but also crappiest DVD player I've ever seen

What gave Apex its old claim to fame was the elimination of region codes and copy protection. But yes, after a while they started to display - well - "tendencies". grin.gif

Three years ago I picked up a Pioneer DV-33 equipped with the ICOS chip (no copy protection and user-selectable region codes) at a retailler in Japan Town here is San Francisco for $279. A lot pricier than the Apex but is still running prefectly to this day.

While we're on the subject of Dracula, here's a good question:

With all the remakes and new Dracula movies that have come out in the last 20 years, what the Hell was the matter withe REcasting Christopher Lee as Dracula in at least ONE of them? The guy has one of the most distinctive voices on the planet, in tight-budget Hammer films (no relation, thank you) in the 50s/60s, his brilliance shined through the poor writing, and he's STILL very much a huge film presence when in front of the camera, an extremely believable villain (like me).

Jens..... Jens....., I say JENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNSSS!!!!! I'm talking to ya' boy (nice boy but he don't listen)! Are you taking notes on this particular thread!! We're debating the dilemna of Joanna's DVD-lessness. She's a writer, Jens. Probably a damned good one. And as an artist, her earning power directly inversely proportianate to her talent in her lifetime until she is discovered for her genius (which usually is anywhere between 10 to 125 years AFTER a genius expires)!!!

As an artist, be prepared for a life of DVD-lessness, Jens!!! Perhaps you could supplant your income by jumping out of windows into Porsches parked 30 feet below!!! Hell, it worked for Chromium!

Holy , hammer, I almost totally agree with you... shocked.gif Christopher Lee is still such a viable actor that I think ,with the proper scripts, could singlehandedly bring the horror movie genre back into the spotlight. The that they come out with lately has been so lame, lackluster and just plain bad that this Master of Horror could be the proverbial shot in the arm that "Horror" needs.

Maybe his role in LOTR will bring about this renaiscance(sp?). If the film-makers would just slow down the pace of a movie and concentrate on terror after building up such a mindset of fear (ala. Christopher Lee) then I think the classic horror genre could make a resurgance. "The Ring" almost succeeded at this but alas fell slightly short of completing the task.

Hey Guys,

If that's the Ethiopian place I'm thinking of--OUTSTANDING. I was there about 7 months ago and had the usual great meal. It sounds like you guys were there sometime in the past 10-12 years--you should have seen the Central Sq area about 15-20 years ago--nothing but a pizza joint, a couple of bars (some of them great) and lots and lots of vacant and burnt out buildings.