• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Asbury park (NJ) Comicon Sat March 30 th

22 posts in this topic

The Asbury Park Comic Con has moved up this year from the small bowling alley to a bigger location. Will be held at the Asbury Park Convention Hall on Saturday March 30th. Went to the ones at the bowling alley and they were great but way too small so this is great. Recommend this to all NJ / NY collectors on here.

http://asburyparkcomicon.com/

http://www.apboardwalk.com/news/248

Asbury Park Comicon will feature a wide variety of comic book & pop culture purveyors as well as many comic book creators, artists and illustrators. Comic fans will have a rare opportunity to meet the artists, who will be available to sign books that will be sold at each artist’s table. Commissioned sketches are also available from many of the artists for a fee.

Special guest include:

• Mad Magazine’s Al Jaffee (creator of the back page Fold-In and Snappy Answers For Stupid Questions). Jaffee celebrates his 92nd birthday the week before the convention.

• John Holmstrom ( artist and publisher of the seminal late 70’s Punk Magazine and artist of for the Ramones’ Rocket To Russia and Road To Ruin album covers). This is his first guest appearance at a comic convention ever.

• Joe Sinnott (inker at the inception of Fantastic Four, X-Men, Silver Surfer, and many books created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby)

• J.G. Jones ( artist for DC’s comics Batman, Before Watchmen, Wonder Woman, and many others)

• Eisner Award winner Evan Dorkin (creator of Milk & Cheese, co-creator of Beasts of Burden, writer for Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Shin Chan,)

• Sarah Dyer (creator of Action Girl, writer for such television shows as Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Shin Chan, Superman, and Batman Beyond)

• Larry Hama (the writer who breathed life into GI Joe for Marvel Comics on over 150 issues and now for IDW)

• Dean Haspiel ( Emmy Award winner for his intro art on HBO’s Bored To Death, comic artist for Marvel, DC, Harvey Pekar’s American Splendor, and his creator owned Billy Dogma)

• Jamal Igle (Super Girl, The Ray, Green Lantern Corps, and many other DC and Marvel books, comics of the rock band Kiss for IDW Publishing, and his creator owned title Molly Danger )

• Danny Hellman (cartoonist for New York Press, Time, S ports Illustrated, Screw, Village Voice, and many others)

• Steve Mannion (creator of Fearless Dawn published by Asylum Press)

• Stephanie Buscema ( illustrator for My Little Pony, Web of Spider-Man, Girl Comics, Adventure Time Comic)

• Mike & Ming of the AMC television show Comic Book Men. The pair from AMC TV’s Comic Book Men and the podcast I Sell Comics will be doing a live broadcast from the Asbury Comicon as well as judging the costume contest.

The Asbury Park Comic Con was conceived by Cliff Galbraith, a comic creator and veteran of most major and many minor comic cons and festivals. Cliff brings an exhibitor and comic artist’s perspective to organizing a comic convention and intends to place the emphasis more on the artists and writers whose work actually makes the comic conventions possible. He is joined by co-promoter Robert Bruce, who refers to himself as a Popculturist having written many articles and contributed to a number of published books on collecting and collectibles. He is a collector and appraiser of rare toys and comics. You can find him on the hit AMC TV show Comic Book Men.

Saturday, March 30th

10 AM to 6 PM

Convention Hall

1300 Ocean Blvd.

Asbury Park, NJ 07712

Advance admission is $12 online. Visit www.AsburyparkComicon.com to reserve tickets to ensure entry in the event of high turnout. Tickets will be $15 at the door if available. Kids under 12 get in free when accompanied by an adult.

I think I am going just to bring my 10 year old daughter to meet Al Jaffee. She loves the MAD tv show and I can't pass it up, only 45 minutes away. Plus I can thank Ulises Farinas for 2 awesome commissions.

I'll be set up. Any looking for anything in particular?

Well, my goal in the next few shows I hit was to get a copy of Tomb of Dracula 44 to read. I do not expect to get one, and will likely end up with an omnibus eventually but since you asked...

Anyone who went curious how it was . Had to work and take my son to baseball so couldn't make it. Was wondering how a convention was in that kind of small place but still a better location then last years which was at a bowling alley.

Yeah that price to get in is another reason I ddint try to make it after work was over and my sons practice ended. Just too much for such a small venue. Last year i think it was $3 , i was bringing my son and $30 was just too much. Supposedly they are closing the convention center soon so it will have to be somewhere else next year.

Yeah, the word is the Gestapo, otherwise known as the State of N.J., have deterrmined their needs to a million dollar instalation of sprinklers and the owners have deemed too costly. As you see, the "stae" always knows what's best, don't they?

Nice to see the old place lots of rock history there i prepaid for 12 bucks still to high for me.Sometimes you have to try something different.even in our policed state!