• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missing comic now turned up on eBay, seller silver-acre. Help

338 posts in this topic

I am currently having issues with this seller. There are five books I purchased from them and they sent me the correct issue of the books, but sent lower grade copies of the books. Like a bait-n-switch. Here are the excuses they gave me -

Dear silver-acre,

Upon inspection of each of the books I can see that each of them are not the as described. They have writing on them, one has tape on back cover, tears on covers, etc. You had described these as "like new" and to refer to the pictures, but these are not the same books as in the pictures. Except for the Battle Action Force Annual.

- blightning11

Dear blightning11,

Hi Jeff, Thanks for the email, there is a problem with ebay Us that shows items from other contries incoretly, the items is listed as used 2nd hand all over the world apart from on ebay Us and for some reason when displayed on ebay us it converts all international used listings to new, ebay know about this as its been an on and off problem for over a year now so i am unsure why they have not fixed the bug, british comics were sold through newsagaets who used to put the names on the comics for the paper boys to deliver, its the norm and accepted in the uk, if you want to contact ebay is the Us just to confirm what i say no problem, just want you to be sure it was listed at my end as used 2nd hand, as a sign of good will i would be happy to refund you £5 or the comics you are not happy can be posted back regular air mail and i will refund in full including the cost of the return postage, let us know,

Regards Darryl

- silver-acre

They are not as he says. His auctions state to use the picture provided to show they quality of books. They were not the same books. I want the books, though, as they are not easy to find.

How did Silver-acre get the book,if addressed to the buyer? (shrug)

good question!

Great bloody question! The USPS express tracking stopped on the 4th of Jan, so no idea how it would end up in UK.

just the other day i sent a USPS priority package containing a hulk 181 from Alaska to California. Tracking had it out for delivery in the wrong town and wrong zip code. I was able to get on the phone and finally get a live rep who was very good to work with he started a claim. Luckily i noticed it so quickly they were able to grab the book that was set to be picked up at a p.o. box and send it on its way to the proper address I got lucky i guess to a degree and also i have a little extra time on my hands so i been checking op on stuff i have tracking for. Coulda got ugly. might be your package was simply delivered to the wrong addy here and the recipient gave in to temptation? Who knows?

If the book was sold on east coast usa there is a chance that the postoffice moved the book with british airways and if thats the case it may of traveled to UK first explaining why it turned up there

:)

I am currently having issues with this seller. There are five books I purchased from them and they sent me the correct issue of the books, but sent lower grade copies of the books. Like a bait-n-switch. Here are the excuses they gave me -

Dear silver-acre,

Upon inspection of each of the books I can see that each of them are not the as described. They have writing on them, one has tape on back cover, tears on covers, etc. You had described these as "like new" and to refer to the pictures, but these are not the same books as in the pictures. Except for the Battle Action Force Annual.

- blightning11

Dear blightning11,

Hi Jeff, Thanks for the email, there is a problem with ebay Us that shows items from other contries incoretly, the items is listed as used 2nd hand all over the world apart from on ebay Us and for some reason when displayed on ebay us it converts all international used listings to new, ebay know about this as its been an on and off problem for over a year now so i am unsure why they have not fixed the bug, british comics were sold through newsagaets who used to put the names on the comics for the paper boys to deliver, its the norm and accepted in the uk, if you want to contact ebay is the Us just to confirm what i say no problem, just want you to be sure it was listed at my end as used 2nd hand, as a sign of good will i would be happy to refund you £5 or the comics you are not happy can be posted back regular air mail and i will refund in full including the cost of the return postage, let us know,

Regards Darryl

- silver-acre

They are not as he says. His auctions state to use the picture provided to show they quality of books. They were not the same books. I want the books, though, as they are not easy to find.

No, if you're buying HG copies of British comic books, such as 2000 AD, then names on the cover aren't acceptable. It's still one aspect that you are paying a premium for. That's nonsense. Not all copies were sold that way. They had loads of them, unmarked, on the shelves at newsagents in the town centres.

Holy balls this is a nightmare of a story. I love my country and I wouldn't live anywhere else but buying slabs can really get the nerves going. This is exactly why.

I hope all works out Joesph!!! Doug - couldn't have had something like this happen to a nicer set of peeps.

Fingers crossed for you both. :wishluck:

At risk of sounding too 'manly'...

Don't worry Andy - there's no risk.

Dear silver-acre,

- blightning11

Dear blightning11,

Regards Darryl

- silver-acre

No, if you're buying HG copies of British comic books, such as 2000 AD, then names on the cover aren't acceptable. It's still one aspect that you are paying a premium for. That's nonsense. Not all copies were sold that way. They had loads of them, unmarked, on the shelves at newsagents in the town centres.

His auctions state this -

"These are mostly in very nice condition. Please view picture to assess condition for yourself. No cutouts or pages missing and the pages are generally off white and supple."

So, I bought books based upon the description and picture. You will see that thei picture they posted did not have name written on cover, but the one they sent me did.

Name is written to the right of the word "The" above "Super-Heroes".

Picture the posted on eBay.

sh1_zps800129d5.jpg

Comic actually sent.

CAM00053_zps94256845.jpg

All of the books they sent me were like this. It is like I paid for VF/NM and got FINE. Some had small tears and/or loose staples.

You did exactly as instructed - assess the book from the image supplied by the vendor - and obviously it's reasonable of you to expect that copy, unmarked.

....or the comics you are not happy can be posted back regular air mail and i will refund in full including the cost of the return postage, let us know,

Regards Darryl

Tell him you want to take him up on that and return postage will be $40 (low estimate) for tracked Priority Mail... I expect he will change his mind.

I am currently having issues with this seller. There are five books I purchased from them and they sent me the correct issue of the books, but sent lower grade copies of the books. Like a bait-n-switch.

I got tired of bait-and-switch games after placing just one order with him. Felt more like dealing with a tenth-rate market trader than a professional comics retailer.

Dear silver-acre,

- blightning11

Dear blightning11,

Regards Darryl

- silver-acre

His auctions state this -

"These are mostly in very nice condition. Please view picture to assess condition for yourself. No cutouts or pages missing and the pages are generally off white and supple."

So, I bought books based upon the description and picture. You will see that thei picture they posted did not have name written on cover, but the one they sent me did.

Name is written to the right of the word "The" above "Super-Heroes".

Picture the posted on eBay.

sh1_zps800129d5.jpg

Comic actually sent.

CAM00053_zps94256845.jpg

All of the books they sent me were like this. It is like I paid for VF/NM and got FINE. Some had small tears and/or loose staples.

You can always open an ebay case.

Then initiate a chargeback if you paid with paypal. Nothing they can do.

Dirty dealers like this is the reason I don't use Ebay any longer.I'm quite happy waiting for board members that I trust to have the books I want.

Wise words, pal.

That doesn't help.

It would require return of the books with tracking which will likely cost more than the books themselves, and the seller has already offered to take the books back anyway. (shrug)

someone in the uk really needs to just punch this guy in the face.

I wouldn't go that far but it would seem to be a fitting end if by the time this particular story is over, he'd be out for the $ he spent on the purchase.

That doesn't help.

It would require return of the books with tracking which will likely cost more than the books themselves, and the seller has already offered to take the books back anyway. (shrug)

I think they bank on it, that you're going to think it's just a big hassle to return books like this.The first picture the colors just pop on the book,the second shot well....... (shrug)

Let's look at what happened:

The book was lost in the mail... this rarely happens in comparison to the quantity of parcels mailed around the world.

The book that was lost in the mail ended up in the hands of a comic collector / seller with a less than reputable background.

I would suggest that SilverArce did not receive the book from the post office. I would say that another party did and then sold it to SilverArce. The coincidence of that happening is too much for the cosmos to handle.

This would be like if I sold a Purple Label book to someone and it got lost in the mail and was misdirected to Robojoe's doorstep. More likely it was directed to someone else's doorstep who decided to sell it and then Robojoe picked it up from that person since that is something he entertains.

That doesn't help.

I think they bank on it, that you're going to think it's just a big hassle to return books like this.The first picture the colors just pop on the book,the second shot well....... (shrug)

You are correct. I would have to prove that I sent it back to them by paying for shipping that offered some kind of confirmation. It is to much of a hassle.

I like these UK comics and if any boardies have some to sell I am more than interested. gaz973 helped me get a pretty good load from there and am always looking for more, but to many people from eBay UK are ruining it for me.

Leaving this particular case to one side for the moment. The message to all comic buyers worldwide is simple;

DON'T BUY FROM SILVER ACRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if the main reason he stopped doing shows is to avoid face to face confrontation with people he has shafted. Much easier to hide behind eBay.

Dear silver-acre,

- blightning11

Dear blightning11,

Regards Darryl

- silver-acre

Darryl is talking bollocks, the majority of these went to news agents and were unmarked. The minority will have names written on them and it isn't "the norm".