• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barcode on cover - First book with one?
2 2

23 posts in this topic

Marvel releases from Jun '76 had them and it looks like DC in May of '76 did too... not sure which specific book hit the stands first... or did other publishers use the UPCs before that?

Edited by Miraclemet

I only know this bit of trivia.

The first ever commercial product to be bought with a barcode was a 10-pack of Wrigley’s Juicy Fruit gum. It was purchased at Marsh’s Supermarket in Troy, Ohio, USA, on June 26, 1974, by Clyde Dawson. It was scanned by Sharon Buchanan at 8:01 am.The historic pack of gum and the receipt are now on display in the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History in Washington, D.C.

On 1/24/2013 at 2:55 PM, montrealfilmguy said:

I only know this bit of trivia.

The first ever commercial product to be bought with a barcode was a 10-pack of Wrigley’s Juicy Fruit gum. It was purchased at Marsh’s Supermarket in Troy, Ohio, USA, on June 26, 1974, by Clyde Dawson. It was scanned by Sharon Buchanan at 8:01 am.The historic pack of gum and the receipt are now on display in the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History in Washington, D.C.

Mmmmmm... juicy fruit.

30567-cuckoos-nest-juicy-fruiit.png?fm=j

I remember buying my first bar-coded comics where they actually scanned them in.  It was in a grocery store in Bend, Oregon in the summer of 1976.  I was mortified that the checker was sliding the comics over the scanner - aaaarrrgh!  A potential new source of damage!

Charlton was almost definitely the first publisher to use barcodes on comics, in 1975. As I remember it, though, the early ones were dummies--that is, no matter the title, the barcodes were the same. Think I read that in The Comic Reader, during the time when I was working in book and magazine distribution. I remember pointing that out to the Charlton rep on one of his visits to the warehouse where I worked, but he argued with me that, no, the scanner could tell the difference even though the barcodes all looked exactly the same. It would be interesting to examine Charltons from that period to see if my memories are correct.

On 4/19/2019 at 8:51 AM, lizards2 said:

I remember buying my first bar-coded comics where they actually scanned them in.  It was in a grocery store in Bend, Oregon in the summer of 1976.  I was mortified that the checker was sliding the comics over the scanner - aaaarrrgh!  A potential new source of damage!

I was at the little deschutes camping ground just outside Bend, for a couple weeks, summer of ‘76. 

1 minute ago, djpinkpanther67 said:
On 4/19/2019 at 5:51 AM, lizards2 said:

I was at the little deschutes camping ground just outside Bend, for a couple weeks, summer of ‘76. 

Whatever happened, it wasn't me. :cool: