• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EC Fanatic Appreciation Weird Thread of Terror

346 posts in this topic

I could not find a thread dedicated to EC appreciation, so starting my own. Here and there, I read threads with interesting trivia or great discoveries of rare versions etc, but the info is buried and hard to get at without hours of surfing. My hope is this thread will aggregate the many stories of collectors, images of popular or forgotten covers, discuss pedigree, share market knowledge, or just plain enjoy chat with other EC fanatics about a brief and infamous genre of comics.

So... I got into GA because of EC's. I remember going into a comic shop in the early 80's and seeing a Tales from the Crypt 20 and 21 up on the wall. They were around $150+ each, which was beyond my budget at the time. I was enthralled by the covers, but did not get to read them. Fortunately they had a Crime Suspenstories box set. I had helped the owner bag books several weekends in a row, so he let me read a few volumes since the box set was opened. It was maybe a year later that I ended up buying the set, but not before I was able to locate a few beater copies, one of which was Weird Fantasy 18. From that time on I have always considered ECs as my favorite genre, although I generally collect a wide range of books.

My most current purchase is a real nice copy of Haunt of Fear 15 (1) 1950. She is housed in a blue label cgc @ a modest 6.5 grade. The colors (including white) are very bright on the front and back cover. Had I known how nice it looked in person, I would not have waited so long to pull the trigger. Of course I suffer from the collector bug, so was on the fence for some other EC keys, however HoF won the coin toss ^^ I also had missed out on the copy sold @Comic Connect last year, so felt like this was second chance at this tough book.

8435954743_3ed2783c95_c.jpg

Haunt of Fear 15 (1) by foxtrot70, on Flickr

Great idea for a thread. (thumbs u

I have dozens of ECs and will be happy to add them over time.

One suggestion though - how about a more 'neutral' thread title like 'EC appreciation thread' - I almost didn't click on it because the one genre I don't collect is horror.

Let me start with one of the lesser known titles. A geat cover on this one but not, to be honest, one of their better reads.

extra4.jpg

My wife loves EC's infact she working on a Tales from the crypt run <3

here are her books

tales20.jpg

large-tales_from_the_crypt_23_cgc.jpg

and here the happy girl with her WAC 11 ( thats off to CGC ) Im pretty proud of her

mals1stbook002.jpg

A wife who also collects Golden Age? That's just awesome!

I could not find a thread dedicated to EC appreciation, so starting my own. Here and there, I read threads with interesting trivia or great discoveries of rare versions etc, but the info is buried and hard to get at without hours of surfing.

Here are a few links to check out:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5957746

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5739427&fpart=1

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3654656

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5749466&fpart=1

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2552033&fpart=1

Cmack

Thanks for posting one of the first covers I ever saw! Your wife has excellent taste. My wife doesn't read or collect, but she tolerates it.

Actually, that Crypt 20 reminds me of something I have always wondered... I have seen copies with either a blue logo or Grey logo. My old copy was gray, but interestingly had zero fading anywhere. It was uniformly gray. Anyone know if print runs had issues w ink quality? i.e.. it fades not because of sunlight, but poor color fastness, similar to FF#13?

My wife loves EC's infact she working on a Tales from the crypt run <3

here are her books

tales20.jpg

large-tales_from_the_crypt_23_cgc.jpg

and here the happy girl with her WAC 11 ( thats off to CGC ) Im pretty proud of her

mals1stbook002.jpg

A wife who also collects Golden Age? That's just awesome!

Specifically,a cute short-haired freckled wife who collects E.C comics !

Damn.

Me i havent begun to collect Gaines copies yet so all i have to show for now is this.But this still being pretty awesome right ?

Russ Cochran E.C. cover prints.All of these are a great 9 and a half by 13.

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

Behind a lot of the covers,you get all kinds of biographies from writers and artists.

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

Great idea for a thread. (thumbs u

I have dozens of ECs and will be happy to add them over time.

One suggestion though - how about a more 'neutral' thread title like 'EC appreciation thread' - I almost didn't click on it because the one genre I don't collect is horror.

Let me start with one of the lesser known titles. A geat cover on this one but not, to be honest, one of their better reads.

extra4.jpg

I would change the title, but don't know how. Anyway, for the record ALL ECs are wanted in this Thread.... "Moon Girl Romance", "Piracy", "Gunfighter", "Bible Stories" every EC - so bring 'em on.

(thumbs u

I won the HoF 15(1) referenced in the OP; I also bought the TFTC 20(1) 8.0 in the same auction. They are the only two books I physically have here with me in the UK! Not a bad pair at all.

Any of you EC mavens have one of these Impact 1's:

From Overstreet: "Variant printed by Charlton. Title logo is white instead of yellow and print quality is inferior. Distributed to newsstands before being destroyed & reprinted (scarce)"

Destroyed & reprinted -- wonder what that means? hm

I sold this one last summer and still regret it.

WarAgainstCrime10FC.jpg

Do you think this is the copy I had way back in the 90s?

I bought it from Hank Pym a couple of years ago. It is always possible. It was a seriously sweet book (and probably still is)!

Any of you EC mavens have one of these Impact 1's:

From Overstreet: "Variant printed by Charlton. Title logo is white instead of yellow and print quality is inferior. Distributed to newsstands before being destroyed & reprinted (scarce)"

Destroyed & reprinted -- wonder what that means? hm

I was curious also - found this link w some info

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5250168