• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best final line in a story EVER

11 posts in this topic

So I'm prepping Jimmy Olsen comics for auction (maximum fun for your buck, those Jimmys) and in JO #112 I find the single greatest final line ever. Period. Here it is:

"Magnaman was probably the only super-villain who was ever killed by a gopher."

How could anyone NOT want to read that comic???

-- Joanna

Odin, that's the difference between us. I can't think of anything I'd rather read more than a comic where the supervillain was killed by a gopher. Honestly. That really appeals to me. Not that all DCs are like that. There were plenty of serious stories. When I was a kid, there were some stories that would make me cry, they were so well-written. OTOH, when I tried Spider-Man and FF they left me flat. Couldn't get into them at all. I'm also probably the only person on this board who didn't like the Spider-Man movie. Too many plot holes and the lead character just didn't appeal to me. Too angsty/wimpy or something (though that might be Toby Maguire's fault, as I found him really unappealing). I like the powers Spider-Man has, though, and I'm very happy that a comic movie made such a splash. Good for the hobby.

It's okay that you don't care for DC. Tastes differ and there's nothing at all wrong with that.

-- Joanna

Hehe...I'm more loyal to characters than company's. It irritates me when I hear a fellow collector say something to the effect of "Marvel sucks" or "DC sucks". I like and dislike characters of both companies. My favorite DC character is Superman, my favorite Marvel character is Spider-Man. Comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges because they are so different on many levels, but they BOTH have their unique appeal, are well received by collectors, and both characters have been written and penciled by some of the greats in the business. I am entertained by DC characters and I'm entertained by Marvel characters, and both companies have a long history of quality work, and not so great work.

Anyway, more to the topic, one the classic last lines that comes to my mind is when Peter Parker first meets a cool, hip, and sexy MJ, and she says to Peter "Face it tiger, you just hit the jackpot!". Ol' Jazzy Johnny sure knew how to draw women.

I hear you...

But other than Batman, Firestorm, Bizarro and Black Lightning - I thought DC's characters pretty much sucked. So even if the stories were okay, it wouldn't have mattered. Marvel's characters had more personality actually acted like regular people - whereas DC characters always seemed to be acting like the prototypical hero all the time. I think it was an intentional difference between the 2 companies. I think Marvel was shooting for an older audience.

Hey Joanna, I will be going completely by memory here so please pardon my vagueness on the specifics. I do however know that the last line is correct.

In Green Lantern #86(?) after the Jesus type dude dies on some rich moguls airplane GL and GA take the body down from the plane and walk away. When they are a safe distance away Green Lantern swiftly turns to his right and summoning the awsome power of his ring destroy's the rich dudes complete fleet of planes. With mouth agape the rich dude says "Those were worth over a billion dollars" to which Green Lantern replies in the final oversized panel "Bill me!!!..." .

To some this may not seem such a great line but I think coupled with the fact of the book, drawn by Neal Adams, and the intensity that led up to the final line it has stuck in my memory to this day and so gets my vote as best final line ever.

OK, so we're going all serious now on Joanna's thread (sorry, me too frown.gif )

Part 3 of Miller's "Born Again" when the Kingpin realizes despite his best efforts to destroy Matt Murdock, there is no corpse. :

"And I -- I have shown him...that a man without hope...is a man without fear."

Yeah.

Z.