• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay auction pulled

15 posts in this topic

I was bidding on a comic on EBay. The price was low, lower than it should have been with a day left. Next thing I know the book was pulled with an email saying "Book is not available".

Can you stop an auction because the book is not making enough money for you?

Yes. How can you prove what his or her intent was?

Happens a lot. Few times on me. Once I won an auction for a comic book that was a maybe $40 book sold for $3 . No one bid. Suddenly its cancelled due to book not available. I emailed seller and he says his house went on fire and the book was destroyed. I nicely asked if the was a local paper article with the fire since he cancelled an auction after I won. He cursed me out etc . I guess he did not want to sell it so cheap. I didn't pursue it with EBay.

Happens a lot. Few times on me. Once I won an auction for a comic book that was a maybe $40 book sold for $3 . No one bid. Suddenly its cancelled due to book not available. I emailed seller and he says his house went on fire and the book was destroyed. I nicely asked if the was a local paper article with the fire since he cancelled an auction after I won. He cursed me out etc . I guess he did not want to sell it so cheap. I didn't pursue it with EBay.
That would be a pretty d*ck move if his house really did burn - I can understand the response.

Very common. I think I'd rather get this than actually winning the auction and getting a story of why I won't be getting the book. I won a TOS 58 for like $35, but was told it was accidentally sold and the transaction was cancelled once I was refunded the $.

Several weeks later I saw I still had an opportunity to leave feedback on the transaction. Thinking that is certainly is possible for a book to go out by mistake, I simply left a neutral feedback (the only one for the seller it turns out) stating the auction was won, but the book was gone and I was refunded.

I then got a message saying they got the book back and offered to complete the original transaction so I would remove the neutral feedback. I rolled my eyes, chuckled, realized once again that it IS possible and then agreed to do so once I received the book. I did get it, but unfortunately I wasn't able to change my feedback- I can't remember the reason- and I feel real bad about that. :(

So yeah, I'd rather the auction go poof than to deal with headaches.

A seller can end an auction for any reason before the auction ends (although if there are bids, I don't think you can end an auction once there are less than 12 hours left), but eBay changed the rules recently so that if a seller ends an auction early that has bids, the seller is charged a final value fee based on the last bid. eBay likely did this to prevent sellers from accepting an offer to sell their item directly (in which case eBay would not have gotten anything), but it also provides a disincentive to sellers from ending auctions early just because they are not happy with the way bidding is going.

That would be a pretty d*ck move if his house really did burn - I can understand the response.

I should have said his shed and not his house ,it was his shed that he said went on fire but you are also correct . I felt like a creep asking and I was probally out of line but was peeved because I felt he was just trying to not sell me the book for so cheap. I probally should have just said nothing and moved on.

A seller can end an auction for any reason before the auction ends (although if there are bids, I don't think you can end an auction once there are less than 12 hours left), but eBay changed the rules recently so that if a seller ends an auction early that has bids, the seller is charged a final value fee based on the last bid. eBay likely did this to prevent sellers from accepting an offer to sell their item directly (in which case eBay would not have gotten anything), but it also provides a disincentive to sellers from ending auctions early just because they are not happy with the way bidding is going.

I have away around this current policy that they have not accounted for. It only works with selling an item that does not have any bids on it.

This happens with Star Wars toys all the time. That's why there is a no live-auction outing rule on RS. People who didn't know about the listing, who find out about it when someone asks "is this legit" will contact the seller and try to take a deal off eBay.

It isn't uncommon for them to do it after a listing has ended and a winning bidder has been determined, so to see it happen without putting in a bid or before the auction listing ends is par for the course for some sellers (some mention their intentions right in in their description)

Either way, the seller will come up with some lame excuse or just tell the high bidder its not available and sell it to the person who offered more off-eBay.

Like I said, it happens all the time.

I don't know what anyone here things can be done with the "yes" responses, but when this kind of thing goes on, you can't do anything. Not saying its right, but it's a sign that some sellers have no backbone and run to straight the money. Not something I support either, so I don't look at it as a loss.

This happens with Star Wars toys all the time. That's why there is a no live-auction outing rule on RS. People who didn't know about the listing, who find out about it when someone asks "is this legit" will contact the seller and try to take a deal off eBay.

It isn't uncommon for them to do it after a listing has ended and a winning bidder has been determined, so to see it happen without putting in a bid or before the auction listing ends is par for the course for some sellers (some mention their intentions right in in their description)

Either way, the seller will come up with some lame excuse or just tell the high bidder its not available and sell it to the person who offered more off-eBay.

Like I said, it happens all the time.

I don't know what anyone here things can be done with the "yes" responses, but when this kind of thing goes on, you can't do anything. Not saying its right, but it's a sign that some sellers have no backbone and run to straight the money. Not something I support either, so I don't look at it as a loss.

As a seller, you don't cancel the bids on an item. That is just scummy. If you are going to commit to selling something and someone bids at the minimum then so be it. The minimum bid is what the minimum you are willing to part with an item for.

NOW... occasionally if someone makes you a decent offer for an item outside of eBay and no one has bid on it... even IF you have 38 people watching it thinking they might snipe at the last minute...

Well... eBay allows people to edit their auctions... change the title, category, the picture and the listing itself to something else entirely. Nothing was taken down. The original item was edited.

A watcher wrote me after doing this asking what happened to the item. I told them that no one was bidding and someone made me an offer I could not refuse. However, there is a lovely CD that is available. If they want to bid on the item, then bid on the item. If no one wants to bid on it then it is fair game to do with as I please. If this upsets the snipers, I don't know what to tell them.

I'd be tempted to look at the seller's other auctions to see if he pulled all of them. If not, I'd compose a message saying things like: "I'm glad that your other items weren't in the shed, too," but then I wouldn't send it because I'd figure the joy of being a jerk wasn't worth the extra thought, and it wouldn't get me the comic, regardless.

If I could take back all the things I never said, I could have applied my mind to many more worthwhile things.

happened to an auction i was watching too. this one was up over $300 and still got cancelled with about a day left (shrug)http://www.ebay.com/itm/310579467791?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

someone probably pointed out that besides 4 very early JLA's in the lot there was a number 1 which does not have a number printed on the cover. Lot was probably worth close to 1K