• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Motion Picture Funnies for 21st Century

3 posts in this topic

OK, Marvel admits it missed an opportunity with the first X-Men movie. For Spider-Man, they timed Free Comic Book Day to coincide, and had the reader-friendly USM launched (yeah a year or more in advance!). But I've not seen any evidence that movie brought in many new readers (nor FCBD for that matter).

My suggestion: Get comics in the concession stands! Originally I'd thought giveaways would be the way to go, but that might be too much of a write-off (compared to FCBD, or 10 cent adventures, which were managable quantities), and the theatre owners probably would have a fit with the extra litter. I'd say next to a $5.00 box of popcorn or a $4.00 coke, a 99 cent comic would look like a good deal.

And without having to pay half the comic's retail price to the direct market distribution chain, a 99 cent comic seems to be within striking distance of the breakeven point for covering its costs.

It's too late for Daredevil, probably too late for XM2, but what do you think?

Some important points:

- accessible story (but not an adaptation) for viewers of the movie

- ideally the story would fit in continuity of both the movie and the ongoing comic

- top artwork, maybe by Bryan Hitch. Who knows, this exposure might tempt a Neal Adams or a Steranko back?

- cheap paper (it'll get popcorn butter on it anyway!)

- ads galore for upcoming movies (this is what is in it for the theatre owners)

- co-op insert ads for local comics shops

- the Comic Store Locator number / URL on inside front cover

- perhaps work a deal where the theatre owner gives away the comic for patrons' ticket stubs from the movie (oh well, there goes breakeven...)

Comments? (Anybody got a direct line to Joe Quesada or Paul Levitz?) crazy.gif

Z.

But I've not seen any evidence that movie brought in many new readers (nor FCBD for that matter).

I havn't seen any evidence either, but I don't get out much, and I live in a small town. The Spider-Man movie generated tremendous interest in Spider-Man and the Green Goblin. I would guess that many people that have never read a comic book, enjoyed the movie. I'm sure that the Spider-Man movie brough BACK several collectors that had quit collecting at some point (like me wink.gif ). Perhaps enough to even become future comic collectors? If comic books stick around, then I think there is a possibility that some FUTURE collectors might come on board because the Spider-Man MOVIE sparked that first interest in the character. I could be wrong, but I'm speaking from personal experience. I played with those 70's Superman, Spider-Man, Batman, and Hulk Mego dolls/action figures long before I ever started collecting comic books. Maybe things have changed too much now though, with all the competing forms of entertainment frown.gif

I'd say next to a $5.00 box of popcorn or a $4.00 coke, a 99 cent comic would look like a good deal.

If that happened, I might go to the movies more often! grin.gif Seriously, it would be a good deal, but IMO it wouldn't be a good sale. Why? People go to the movies to watch a movie, not to read a comic book. It's too dark to be reading in a movie theatre anyway! tongue.gif I have kind of a different idea...What if a FCBD edition of Ultimate Spider-Man 1 had been given out with the purchase of every Spider-Man movie ticket? How many people can refuse a free handout? Comic books would have received massive attention and comics would make it into the hands of kids.

Originally I'd thought giveaways would be the way to go, but that might be too much of a write-off

Yes and No, it all depends on the sucess of the "promotion". You might call it hook and worm marketing. Give them a taste, a tease, make them want to come back for more. Who could watch the first Lord of the Rings movie and NOT want to watch the next movie? Certainly not me. Wise sellers sometimes use this type of strategy to WIN customers. What they do is give the customer a really good deal that they can't refuse, and make sure that the customer is pleased with the transaction. If they suceed in making the customer happy, then what are the chances that the customer will come back to them to do future business?

It's too late for Daredevil, probably too late for XM2, but what do you think?

I think Marvel should give a free copy of a DareDevil and X-Men comic with the purchase of each movie ticket. Seriously doubt it will ever happen, and I don't make these kinds of decisions for a living, but at least I'm free to voice my opinion. wink.gif

Some important points:

- accessible story (but not an adaptation) for viewers of the movie

- ideally the story would fit in continuity of both the movie and the ongoing comic

- top artwork, maybe by Bryan Hitch. Who knows, this exposure might tempt a Neal Adams or a Steranko back?

- cheap paper (it'll get popcorn butter on it anyway!)

- ads galore for upcoming movies (this is what is in it for the theatre owners)

- co-op insert ads for local comics shops

- the Comic Store Locator number / URL on inside front cover

I couldn't agree with you more there, especially using "cheap paper". I wouldn't mind trading a downgrade in a paper for a downgrade in price. grin.gif