• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huge drops in VF and lower in new price guide?

16 posts in this topic

In the General Comics section, Clobberintime started a post commenting on the fact that he heard from a reliable source that (among other things) the new guide will be showing new lower prices for any comics in the Fine - Very Fine range. Apparantly the differences will be significant. Alternately, NM's were to rise to new dizzying heights.

The thread concentrated in most part about how everyone felt about the "new near mint" prices.

Because of what's in my collection, I am more concerned with what's happening to the LOWER GRADES and THAT'S WHAT THIS POST IS ALL ABOUT.

Will a lot of people all of a sudden find out that their collections are worth a lot less when that new guide hits?

Is it only overstreet that's making this decision?

Are there outside forces involved in this process?

Anyone?

I don't think the post you are refering to is anything other than a rumor.

I can't see the prices on VF books dropping, the gap between them and NM may rise because of a jacking up of the high end prices.

There has been nothing said by Overstreet to indicate it intends to do this though.

Overstreet does not determine the value of comics. That is left to the marketplace. If the Overstreet prices on VF and below drop, it only reflects actual market conditions.

Your comics are not worth less because a price guide indicates a drop, they are worth less because people are not willing to pay more for them.

Rival's exactly right - if you collect and actively purchase G/VG/F/VF silver age comics (like me!), you know that they have not been going for guide prices, either at shows or on ebay. Even Hulk 181 doesn't sell for guide in these grade ranges (yes, I know it's not silver but the point's the same). CGC-graded books sell closer to guide in low-mid grade than raw books, but even then you can find them for below guide. Look at it as an oppportunity!!

Lower grade books go for between 40-75% of Guide consistently. There are many many bargains to be had. I wouldn't be surprised to see the spread jump between 9.0 and 9.4 to a significant multiplier, though.

I only worry that people will still purchase at 40 - 75 % guide prices even with the new lower prices. I don't know for sure because I don't know what happened the last time this happened a few years ago. Anyone remember how the market reacted the last time prices dropped? This happened in the mid 90's? I was very much out of touch with the market when it did happen so I don't know. Was the correction a positive?

Why worry? The books will continue to sell what they have been selling for in terms of $$, but with lower guide prices the appearance will be that they are selling for a higher % of guide. If a VG FF 2 is selling for $400 now, I doubt it will suddenly be selling for $300 if Overstreet cuts low-mid grade price values by 25%.

The previous Ostreet price correction was well received by collectors. They accelerated their buying of g- vg & fn silver age as they perceived bargains compared to the previous year of higher suggested retail prices per Ostreet. However, sellers of vf condition books were crying because their values were dragged down due to the new pricing frown.gif ratios.

The previous Ostreet price correction was well received by collectors.

Almost! lol. I sent a letter to Gary Carter that he published in CBM V 2, no. 58 (Apr. 1998) because you know what happened? They chucked the pre-hero Marvels in with the Silver Age hero books. Journey Into Mystery, Tales Of Suspense, Tales To Astonish and Strange Tales: this during a time that the pre-hero big-monster Kirby/Ditko/Lee books were getting VERY popular. Someone at Overstreet made a BIG boo-boo. Almost like "hmmm - ok - TOS has gone down in G-F - let me highlight them all and apply the same reduced price percentage.)

Did the lower price guide values actually result in lower prices, or did the market remain strong for those books? I seem to remember "pre-hero" Marvels picking up steam about 10 years ago when they were really cheap in the guide, but since I didn't collect them (tough enough to complete my pre-'65 hero collection!) I didn't really follow the prices. Not that I wouldn't mind a Strange Tales 89...

Banner,

Would say the mkt remained strong for early silver & pre-hero Marvels. Prices did not go down on pre-hero b/c they were usually selling for at least 100% of condition guide especially if no Marvel chipping. Lots of early prototypes like Aunt May, Uncle Ben, Dr Strange, Dr Doom, etc.

But man, they are hard to find in grade.

That IS true. G/VG seems to be the standard and when the grade gets into Fine and higher prices really begin to increase.

The pre-hero Marvels (the Kirby/Ditko monster issues) are troubling me.They are n ot pre-code and I keep thinking they would be fun as well. I KNEW this was gonna happen when I started collecting again.