• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nick Cardy in Action Comics posted by Brandon Shepherd

12 posts in this topic

Nick Cardy in Winnipeg.

I've recently acquired a nice piece that fits into a few themes within my set of Action Comics. My latest addition is Action Comics #417 (Oct. 1972) from the Winnipeg pedigree, I love how this cover features several major characters together. Two of my major goals for Action Comics are to obtain #'s 400 through 500 in 9.8 grade with white page designations as, well as every cover from Nick Cardy (36 covers), so my newest piece allows me to cross off an item from two checklists. This piece is also special to me as it is a third time charm for me in my acquisition of it.

I missed my first chance in 2006, from an eBay auction, the opening bid started at a high dollar amount so no one bid on it. A few years later the piece appeared on the ComicLink Exchange where it sat for a while. I had intended to make an offer but I kept putting it off to focus on other pieces, then one day it was no longer listed. I saved the scan and added it to a list of books that got away, when I got a rare third chance, I took it.

Seeing Nick Cardy's covers in the Action Comics run for the first time as a kid left an impression on me. I was thinking the other day about how best to describe his art and why I like his covers so much. I was thinking maybe because there is simplicity to most of his covers, there is also, I guess a cartoonish style about it. I don't mean this in a bad way, or that I think his work is merely simple. I like Cardy's version of Superman because he seems more confident and relaxed, Supes even smiles every now and then.

After six years of waiting, I can now say that I have Action #417, the Winnipeg copy, and also one of my favorite Nick Cardy covers in my hands. I sent some books in for new holders recently, one of them being Action #411, also a Cardy cover and also from the Winnipeg pedigree. With the #411 in a new holder, it looks better that before (this came in a slim holder, scratched quite a bit and with an old style label that was crooked) and looks real nice with my #417.

13019.JPG

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

Nick Cardy is definitely one of the many great artists to grace DC's Golden, Silver and Bronze Ages. He drew some amazing covers for Aquaman, Batlash, Teen Titans and of course, Superman.

A beautiful pair...and pedigrees no less! Nice acquisitions! Congratulations!

SW3D

Just curious... i see his name on street level in the foreground to Lois' left foot, but did he also sign his initials "NC" in a corporate logo style on the foreground sidewalk on the left below all the cheering women? It looks like a thick white "N" enveloped inside the sihlouette of a "C".

Just curious... i see his name on street level in the foreground to Lois' left foot, but did he also sign his initials "NC" in a corporate logo style on the foreground sidewalk on the left below all the cheering women? It looks like a thick white "N" enveloped inside the sihlouette of a "C".

Yep, those are his initials. On the printed comic you can only see the NC and not the name on the left, so it's less redundant.