• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FFB's selling his restored copy of Amazing Fantasy #15!!!!

99 posts in this topic

Linky-dink

A nice copy that presents far better than its Apparent 4.0 grade. Chickety-check it! thumbsup2.gif

OK, so first i see Scott selling an AF#15 - thumbsup2.gif

then i see it's a private auction - 893whatthe.gif

then i see it's been cracked outta the slab - 893whatthe.gif

then i see he's set the BIN around 110% of an UNrestored copy in the same grade - insane.gif

then i start the PM asking him to send me a small sample of whatever it is he's recently been smoking - but i decide to check out the GPA analysis instead - acclaim.gif

this book seems to be a true anomaly. 4.0's (which i'm sure looked no where as good as this) have sold for close to full guide?!?!?!?

if you check out the prices realized it's pretty apparent that at the lower grades, restored AF 15's are pulling in GREAT prices..........which once again begs the question as to why a restored 9.6 (in GPA) only went for a fraction of 9.2 guide, and even the infamous comiclink 9.6 was only going for a third of 9.2 guide??

in any event - good luck, scott.... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Linky-dink

A nice copy that presents far better than its Apparent 4.0 grade. Chickety-check it! thumbsup2.gif

then i see it's a private auction - 893whatthe.gif

Private AUCTIONS are fine, it's PRIVATE FEEDBACK that sucks. 893frustrated.gif

then i see it's been cracked outta the slab - 893whatthe.gif

He bought it slabbed, and we all were curious! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

then i see he's set the BIN around 110% of an UNrestored copy in the same grade - insane.gif

then i start the PM asking him to send me a small sample of whatever it is he's recently been smoking - but i decide to check out the GPA analysis instead - acclaim.gif

this book seems to be a true anomaly. 4.0's (which i'm sure looked no where as good as this) have sold for close to full guide?!?!?!?

if you check out the prices realized it's pretty apparent that at the lower grades, restored AF 15's are pulling in GREAT prices..........which once again begs the question as to why a restored 9.6 (in GPA) only went for a fraction of 9.2 guide, and even the infamous comiclink 9.6 was only going for a third of 9.2 guide??

in any event - good luck, scott.... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Whatever the market bears confused-smiley-013.gifhi.gif

Linky-dink

You have to compare apples to apples, not Overstreet to GPA. GPA shows that unrestored copies in 4.0 have sold for as high as $5,175, and that the last 8 sales ranged from $2,950 to $3,800. Overstreet's $2,600 book value for a raw 4.0 is about $700-1000 too low for this book.

Also, another VG 4.0 Extensive (P) copy of this book sold for $2,495 in March 2004, and I guarantee that book does not present as well as this one does. Just look at the scan. confused-smiley-013.gif

As I said when the ComicLink AF#15 9.6 PLOD was up, $16K was a steal for that book. (And it sold for a little over $8K only six months before!!!!! 893frustrated.gif How did I miss that book in the July 2003 Heritage catalogue???) That's why it got five buy orders on the first day it was posted on ComicLink -- with three of those coming in the first four or five hours it was on the site. I would very happily pay $20K for that book right now.

What I am sure is on everyone's mind, now that it's football season is...your special recipe for the best guacamole? hi.gif

Good luck with the auction!

All it takes is a phone call! Or you can search the forums for guacamole and you'll find it. I posted it here a while ago. hi.gif

BB, it's totally different ends of the spectrum. I think there is a lot less concern about whether a book has been restored when it comes to lower grades because, well, the book is in lower grade. Conversely, there is a LOT of concern about restoration for higher grades, particularly for expensive books, because of the bias, fair or not, against restored books amongst high grade collectors. So there is disproportionate penalizing of restored high grade books.

I've experienced it on both sides. I slabbed some low grade early X-Men and Avengers that I'd had forever (none higher than 6.0), and they all came back restored (thank you Gerry Ross, you thief!). I was pleasantly surprised at getting 75-95% full guide prices for them on eBay. I also slabbed a X-Men 1 that came back 9.4, restored (cleaned and pressed, the kind that CGC CAN detect and considers restoration, I guess)(I won't name the dealer that sold it to me, as we settled things amicably), but it sold on eBay for a mere $2426!

That looks like a higher grade book. Based on what I've seen CGC do when they see slight staining on a book, it makes sense though. They seem to have a particular disdain for staining. Between that and the tear looks like all the dmg is on the inside. I can't see the pen scribbling having much of an effect on the grade

Brian

That looks like a higher grade book. Based on what I've seen CGC do when they see slight staining on a book, it makes sense though. They seem to have a particular disdain for staining. Between that and the tear looks like all the dmg is on the inside. I can't see the pen scribbling having much of an effect on the grade

Brian

But mold is OK huh? 893censored-thumb.gif

Brian

The pen scribbling was one of the key factors in the grade. It was the first thing noted in the grading notes.

And yes, it does look like a higher grade book. To be honest with you, I didn't even notice the stain when I read the book. I am going to go home and take another look. I'll post a picture of it if I can see it.

If that's true then none of the Winnipegs should be high grade at all? Doesn't really make much sense. They hammer one book for writing and completely ignore it on another.

Brian

Creator and owner signatures are treated differently than scribbling. Even the Overstreet grading guide says so. The OGG suggests that creator and owner signatures should not be downgraded below 9.9. Scribbling is another story. confused-smiley-013.gif