• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FFB's selling his restored copy of Amazing Fantasy #15!!!!

99 posts in this topic

CGCs grading guidelines often remind me of the old WWWFs

rulebook. You could print both on the inside of a matchbook and still have room for the original advertisment.

Thank you kindly for your bid, sir! thumbsup2.gif

"If you try to pull the time payments thing on me without raising it in advance, I will sacrifice 40 chickens to Ghede, the voodoo God of Death, who will visit much pain and woe upon you and your ancestors."

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Good luck with the auction FFB, that's a real nice looking copy. thumbsup2.gif

if you check out the prices realized it's pretty apparent that at the lower grades, restored AF 15's are pulling in GREAT prices..........which once again begs the question as to why a restored 9.6 (in GPA) only went for a fraction of 9.2 guide, and even the infamous comiclink 9.6 was only going for a third of 9.2 guide??

BB, it's totally different ends of the spectrum. I think there is a lot less concern about whether a book has been restored when it comes to lower grades because, well, the book is in lower grade. Conversely, there is a LOT of concern about restoration for higher grades, particularly for expensive books, because of the bias, fair or not, against restored books amongst high grade collectors. So there is disproportionate penalizing of restored high grade books.

I've experienced it on both sides. I slabbed some low grade early X-Men and Avengers that I'd had forever (none higher than 6.0), and they all came back restored (thank you Gerry Ross, you thief!). I was pleasantly surprised at getting 75-95% full guide prices for them on eBay. I also slabbed a X-Men 1 that came back 9.4, restored (cleaned and pressed, the kind that CGC CAN detect and considers restoration, I guess)(I won't name the dealer that sold it to me, as we settled things amicably), but it sold on eBay for a mere $2426!

thanks for your take on the situation. along with FFB's comments to me, i think i get a clearer picture of what's happening.

what this theory appears to disprove is the overstreet restoration pricing chart. it actually is consistent with the concept contained therein that the higher the apparent grade, the lower percentage of guide will be realized. but, that guide also suggests that a SA 4.0 with extensive resto would only garner 40% of apparent grade.

the GPAnalysis proves otherwise, as Scott had indicated, at least for this book.

and this is why i read as much as i can on these boards. there's lots to learn grin.gif

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

From the scan it looks at least 7.0...did you happen to get the grader's notes on why it was graded so low?

If not for the writing, it would have graded higher than 4.0. The graders' notes are consistent with the extensive (p) label.

Graders' notes: Pen scribbling on front cover. Stain on left side of front interior cover. Small tear on bottom interior pages becoming a bit larger as pages progress. Piece replacement on last page. Bottom right corner front cover has 1-inch square piece replaced. Interior and back cover confirmed as being from Amazing Fantasy #15. Color touch, infilling and inpainting, tear seals and reinforcement.

***Edit*** if anyone is interested in the book and wants to see scans or photos of any of the interior defects, just let me know and I'll take some pictures! thumbsup2.gif You can ask Jimm94 and divadrabnud about the book. They were both there when I cracked it out of the slab. It's a very nice looking book for an Apparent 4.0.

Just to clarify some of the graders' notes. I went home and examined the book last night. The interior tears mentioned have all been professionally sealed using archival materials. The "stain" on the interior cover is not actually a stain at all. It is the interior of the piece replaced on the cover. The restoration professional did not hand-recreate a small portion of the finely printed text on the edge of the indicia (which is on the interior front cover on AF#15). I am not sure why the pre-grader called it a stain. There is no stain there.

I agree that this book presents far better than 4.0, although it is an accurate grade considering the writing that was left on the cover.

One thing that I really appreciate about this particular copy is that the restoration, while extensive, was seemingly done with conservation/preservation in mind rather than solely trying to improve its' cosmetic attributes to the highest degree possible. Because the restoration artist chose to not chemically clean the cover and interior, the comic retains a very natural look and feel. The restoration is certainly apparent (no pun intended), but it hasn't been "overworked".

For the same amount of money, I would much rather have a well preserved specimen such as this rather than a lower grade, unrestored copy. As Scott mentioned in a previous post, feel free to contact me via PM or in this thread regarding any additional questions I might be able to help with. FFB is my pal, but I'll offer you my honest, no BS opinion.

FFB - Ok, I posted exactly what you told me to say. Now where's that check you were gonna write me? stooges.gif

I agree that this book presents far better than 4.0, although it is an accurate grade considering the writing that was left on the cover.

One thing that I really appreciate about this particular copy is that the restoration, while extensive, was seemingly done with conservation/preservation in mind rather than solely trying to improve its' cosmetic attributes to the highest degree possible. Because the restoration artist chose to not chemically clean the cover and interior, the comic retains a very natural look and feel. The restoration is certainly apparent (no pun intended), but it hasn't been "overworked".

For the same amount of money, I would much rather have a well preserved specimen such as this rather than a lower grade, unrestored copy. As Scott mentioned in a previous post, feel free to contact me via PM or in this thread regarding any additional questions I might be able to help with. FFB is my pal, but I'll offer you my honest, no BS opinion.

FFB - Ok, I posted exactly what you told me to say. Now where's that check you were gonna write me? stooges.gif

You can have your wife pick it up when she helps me photograph the AF#15 on the Bay Bridge as proof of ownership, per your prior email request to me. (See my smartassed response to your email question.) devil.gif

You can have your wife pick it up when she helps me photograph the AF#15 on the Bay Bridge as proof of ownership, per your prior email request to me. (See my smartassed response to your email question.) devil.gif

Shouldn't you be making reservations for the restaurant right now? Bob's Steak and Chop House doesn't have an unlimited supply of creamed corn, you know. devil.gif

(Yet another inside joke. Sorry everbody!)

Shouldn't you be making reservations for the restaurant right now? Bob's Steak and Chop House doesn't have an unlimited supply of creamed corn, you know. devil.gif

(Yet another inside joke. Sorry everbody!)

You are not helping to convince anyone of your supposed impartiality with all of these inside jokes, Jimster! makepoint.gif

so you're another one who loves corn poo (creamed corn), too?

Shut yer piehole and get to bidding on my AF#15!!! We're still hundreds of dollars away from my reserve price.

Shut yer piehole and get to bidding on my AF#15!!! We're still hundreds of dollars away from my reserve price.

Geez, did you forget to take a chill pill this morning? smile.gif I like creamed corn also and thought it was funny the first time I heard it referred to as "corn poo".

Geez, did you forget to take a chill pill this morning? smile.gif I like creamed corn also and thought it was funny the first time I heard it referred to as "corn poo".

You'd think it was twice as funny if you actually read the emails that Jim sent to me through ebay asking for certain pictures of proof that I own the book. Oh, what the hell, I'll just copy them here:

Dear sbonagof,

Hey since you're in the Bay Area, can you take a picture of this comic book propped up on the dashboard of your car while driving across the Bay Bridge during rush hour tomorrow morning so I know you really have the book and it's not a scam? There's a lot of con artists out there, you know. Thankz!

Dear sbonagof,

Or better yet, have some creamed corn with your dinner tonight at Bob's Steak and Chop house in SF and take a picture of the comic next to the corn before you eat it. Then a couple hours later after you poop out the corn, take another picture of the book next to your poop so I can verify that they are, in fact, the same corn kernels. Only then can I be certain that you truly own this comic book. It might be too easy to fake that whole Bay Bridge photo I asked you to before before, but you should go ahead and do it anyway in addition to the Spider poop picture. Thankz again!

I want to use my VERY FIRST post on this issue:

Having read through both the auction description and FFB's guacamole recipe, I believe that the AF #15 will make my life 7% better while the guacamole will make me 12% a better person.

The recipe is bono-riffic, but since the auction is out of the thrill-joy bidding stage...I think I'll take the food over the comic --> in this instance. popcorn.gif

Having read through both the auction description and FFB's guacamole recipe, I believe that the AF #15 will make my life 7% better while the guacamole will make me 12% a better person.

The recipe is bono-riffic, but since the auction is out of the thrill-joy bidding stage...I think I'll take the food over the comic --> in this instance. popcorn.gif

Welcome to the Boards!

You are wrong, my newfound friend. The AF#15 will make your life 33.549235% better, while the guacamole recipe will make your life 32.243454987% better. Just to be precise.

And the reserve is still about $550 away, so you don't have to worry about accidentally buying the book with a bid -- and if you bought it at this price, you will have paid a record low price for any AF#15 VG 4.0 Extensive (p). angel.gif

Aces - thanks for the Big Red welcome man. laugh.gif

Hey so my brother and I are the only Bills fans in the Pacific Northwest...Go Bills!

FFB - I did some more calculatin' and your figures for my improved quality of life seem to be a bit too high...

Here's the $2000 trade-off in real term$ though:

Quantity of Amazing Fantasy #15: 1 copy

Quantity of guacamole: 63.6 tons

I could have everyone on the West Coast pooping green this weekend for that price...

Hey so my brother and I are the only Bills fans in the Pacific Northwest...Go Bills!

FFB - I did some more calculatin' and your figures for my improved quality of life seem to be a bit too high...

I could have everyone on the West Coast pooping green this weekend for that price...

A good-sized, ripe avocado weighs about half a pound and costs about $2. Assuming that you spent $1,000 on avocados and the remainder on the other ingredients, you'd have about 500 avocados worth of dip. One batch of dip (5 avocados plus fixins) weighs about two pounds. That's 200 pounds of guac for $2,000. You might be able to feed yourself and the neighbors on your block for a day with that much guac.

Or you could have a nice copy of AF#15 for the rest of your life. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A good-sized, ripe avocado weighs about half a pound and costs about $2. Assuming that you spent $1,000 on avocados and the remainder on the other ingredients, you'd have about 500 avocados worth of dip. One batch of dip (5 avocados plus fixins) weighs about two pounds. That's 200 pounds of guac for $2,000. You might be able to feed yourself and the neighbors on your block for a day with that much guac.

Or you could have a nice copy of AF#15 for the rest of your life. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Extrapolate the relative joy! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif