• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone built a "comic cube" style storage cabinet?

24 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I can't get some of the cooler geekery cabinets here.. postage... so I figured I'd make one.

Before I went out guns blazing, I just thought I'd check to see if anyone here had built a "comics cube" style cabinet for their slabs or raw books?

I've seen a few pieces of custom furniture, pretty sure at least one boardie here has done it. I've read that there are possibly some issues with storing comics in wood cabinets. They sure do look nice though. I can build a basic bookshelf but I don't have the skills to build a piece of nice looking furniture.

I've tried using a nice wood cabinet I found at a flea market.

Results are: Sorta OK...

IMG_0755_zps3520b54a.jpg

IMG_0756_zps163d3dad.jpg

There's cushioning all around the books, you can't tell from the pic.

It looks nice, but it just isn't quite right for the cases...

My next attempt will be to create one with 3 16 inch high drawers... pull forward type (as in the second picture)

You really need to make it solid for CGC encased books. Probably wouldn't hurt to keep the drawers short.

The topic of this thread just solidifies the fact that no one who reads it will ever get laid. :facepalm:

actually quite the opposite... chicks like nice furniture.. the problem will only come later when she opens up the cabinet and sees what is inside.

I'm kinda lucky actually. I have an absolute FOX who I'm marrying in a couple of months. She just requested that my glass cabinet of Batman Hot Toys be moved from my man cave to the main living room. Now the move has been made, she (at least says that she) loves it.

She also whole-heartedly supports my comic collecting. When my first SS books arrived a few months ago she actually told me to stop buying raw "" and instead focus on slabs.

:cloud9::luhv:

Thanks to the original respondents on topic. I like the end result with that wooden cabinet that was purchased.

re: the issue with wood... I read something in a thread.. maybe "cedar box" related about someone who's comics got graded slightly down because they smelled like the other, less premium books, sent in for grading at the same time. :frustrated::screwy:

Can they do that? Guess they can and have.

I'm all for displaying my books.. but I want to rotate them frequently and then store the ones that are not currently displayed in a 100% dark environment. They're all in mylar... so the key bit will be getting them in the dark in a way that I can easily access and enjoy-on-demand.. but still looks okay. (not a long box).

There are few things in this world easier than getting laid. Being a Geek of any order certainly is no hindrance.

Was a piece of cake at times when I was single.

After 29 years of marriage I seem to have lost the touch.

There are few things in this world easier than getting laid. Being a Geek of any order certainly is no hindrance.

Times have changed. We rule the world now. (And read everyone else's email)

Was a piece of cake at times when I was single.

After 29 years of marriage I seem to have lost the touch.

:signfunny:

Apparently, they are now a couple in real life..... :gossip:

No way. I don't believe it. I read an interview that she did where she was like "It was so nice to make someone's dreams come true" or something basically along those lines. She kind of came off as a b-word to me. You're a model/actress...you're paid to do that . Just my thought.

The topic of this thread just solidifies the fact that no one who reads it will ever get laid. :facepalm:

He said "comic cube" style. Not "cosmic cube" style.

I was really hoping for that.

Hi all,

I can't get some of the cooler geekery cabinets here.. postage... so I figured I'd make one.

Before I went out guns blazing, I just thought I'd check to see if anyone here had built a "comics cube" style cabinet for their slabs or raw books?

I'm in the middle of building a system like that right now - instead of having individual comic book cubes, I'm doing 2x3 drawer and 1x3 drawer cabinets for maximum flexibility. The final "wall" will have 75 drawers and should be done sometime this year.