• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

World War 2, Japanese internment & comics
3 3

87 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2016 at 5:24 PM, jpepx78 said:

Thanks for all the kind words about the posts.

Here again is one of the more fascinating photos of the Manzanar general store taken by Miyatake in April 1944.

Manzanar-General-Store4-44_zps2bfa0e52.jpg

I found a slightly better closeup photo of the comics on the side wall.

A couple of those books are highly desirable by collectors and who could have imagined a high grade copy of one of these books would sell for $173000?

manzanar%20store%204-44cu_zpssvlsm6vh.jpg

Recognize the 10 comics?

Reveal hidden contents

Wonder 1, Fight 32, World’s Finest 13, Marvel Mystery 55, Green Hornet 18, Suspense 3, Leading 10, Supersnipe 15, Looney Tunes 31, Popular 99

Wasn't aware of Feb 19th.  Thanks for sharing all the great comic book related photos!

Wonder how the kids reacted when this cover hit the newsstand a couple months after this photo was taken?

Green Hornet #19.jpg

I know it’s been a long time since I have requested scans of Okajima signed books for an article for the 50 Objects/50 Stories project. I have spoken to the project director and she feels the article is not complete so far since there is still lot of missing information on Okajima. There is not much information online and it is difficult to find people with information about Okajima or about a somewhat trivial matter such as comics from so long ago. It takes time to search leads and to talk to people. Meanwhile they are working on several stories at the same time. I don’t know the timeframe for publication however I believe the article will come out before the book about comic book pedigrees.

Although all the Spirit newspaper stories were indexed, the backup features were not completely indexed. Guardineer drew Mr Mystic from 10/10/43 to the end of the run on 5/14/44. After looking at some of the public domain Spirit sections, I determined that the above story did not run on the following dates; 10/10/43, 10/17/43, 10/24/43, 10/31/43, 11/7/43, 1/2/44, 2/13/44, 3/12/44, 4/9/44, 4/23/44, 4/30/44, 5/14/44.
The story may be from late 1943 or 1944 since the 100th battalion of the 442nd Regiment consisted of primarily Nisei from the Hawaiian National Guard entered combat for the Italian campaign on September 29 1943.

On 2/14/2013 at 2:27 PM, sfcityduck said:

[Of course, I'm not asserting that every Japanese-American artist learned art in the camps. Japenese-American artists like Bob Fujitani and Fred Kida, formally trained at NY art schools, were not interred because they lived East of the Mississippi.]

And I find it interesting that Bob Fujitani, a man of Japanese descent, was drawing Japanese caricatures like this in Speed Comics #40 (November, 1945). Makes me wonder how he felt about it.

utiQ5ms.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

On 2/18/2019 at 11:06 PM, jpepx78 said:

I know it’s been a long time since I have requested scans of Okajima signed books for an article for the 50 Objects/50 Stories project. I have spoken to the project director and she feels the article is not complete so far since there is still lot of missing information on Okajima. There is not much information online and it is difficult to find people with information about Okajima or about a somewhat trivial matter such as comics from so long ago. It takes time to search leads and to talk to people. Meanwhile they are working on several stories at the same time. I don’t know the timeframe for publication however I believe the article will come out before the book about comic book pedigrees.

Although all the Spirit newspaper stories were indexed, the backup features were not completely indexed. Guardineer drew Mr Mystic from 10/10/43 to the end of the run on 5/14/44. After looking at some of the public domain Spirit sections, I determined that the above story did not run on the following dates; 10/10/43, 10/17/43, 10/24/43, 10/31/43, 11/7/43, 1/2/44, 2/13/44, 3/12/44, 4/9/44, 4/23/44, 4/30/44, 5/14/44.
The story may be from late 1943 or 1944 since the 100th battalion of the 442nd Regiment consisted of primarily Nisei from the Hawaiian National Guard entered combat for the Italian campaign on September 29 1943.

I don't know if it has been offered before or if you have seen/need this one but Adam (boardie here) has a camp-coded Superman #28 Okajima.  This one may have already been documented in the Okajima thread.  But just in case something you wanted to look at -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-28-OKAJIMA-Pedigree-RARE-High-Grade-WWII-DC-Comic-1944-CGC-7-0/313089741881

On 2/18/2019 at 9:06 PM, jpepx78 said:

LoL!  I hope you're right, but although the 50 Objects project started strong, they have not updated their site since they posted "part 1" of a piece on a Bonzai, and that was back in June 2019 I think.  So 

On 3/22/2015 at 1:09 AM, jpepx78 said:

The Superman strip was popular and influential such that fictional stories with real life events could have many implications causing ramifications that could affect many lives. In the episode “The Sneer Strikes!” written by Whitney Ellsworth and Al Schwartz and published from June 28, 1943 to August 21, 1943, Clark and Lois investigate conditions inside a Japanese internment camp. While in camp, Clark using his X-ray vision detects a group of evil Japanese planning an escape and intending to take Lois and the Army officer hostage. [26]

supe062843_zpsxoqgqd4y.jpg

supe062943_zpsgwezv6be.jpg

I came across a panel that’s supposedly from that episode, but couldn’t get a confirmation. Is this panel from that?

No0xTGG.jpg