• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2017 at 11:44 PM, Nexus said:

Typically, after a break like this, you'd expect a new #1. And, practically speaking, it would make sense. But according to Frank's tweets, at least, looks like series will continue where they left off, and return with #18.

Surprising, but cool!

I would expect this to hurt the sales of this book tremendously.

As someone who had interest in this book, but never picked it up due to the shipping problems, this would almost assure I don't give it a shot this time around. People who may have given up on it in the past and not read any comic news will see the #18 on the shelves and shake their heads at the serious shipping delay.

Starting with a new volume after such a long break, and coming out and speaking to both creators commitment and plan to ensure the book stays on track would bring people like me in. And previous fans will most likely buy it regardless.

I LOVE the artist, and I have read some of Frank's writing that I also enjoy, but don't want to jump on for a bumpy road.

4 hours ago, ParamagicFF said:

I would expect this to hurt the sales of this book tremendously.

As someone who had interest in this book, but never picked it up due to the shipping problems, this would almost assure I don't give it a shot this time around. People who may have given up on it in the past and not read any comic news will see the #18 on the shelves and shake their heads at the serious shipping delay.

Starting with a new volume after such a long break, and coming out and speaking to both creators commitment and plan to ensure the book stays on track would bring people like me in. And previous fans will most likely buy it regardless.

I LOVE the artist, and I have read some of Frank's writing that I also enjoy, but don't want to jump on for a bumpy road.

Starting over with a new #1 is rarely the answer. If creators are serious about a book, they should think long term. Sometimes all they can afford to think about is the immediate future, they can't think strategically, and in that case I imagine they have to do whatever they have to do to make the project happen at all.

Long term, few want to see three #1s for a series just a few years old, it doesn't send a good message.  What people should feel when they see a #18 on the shelf is that the creators have a story to tell, not a manufactured event with a #1 on it to get your four dollars. I'm not sure what the state of this hobby is at when someone sees that there are seventeen previous issues of something that they think they may enjoy and the immediate response is "Eh, I'd rather not have to look at that."

Pick up a trade or the back issues, that is why they exist.

I'm simply saying it has been too long since the book was released to simply continue. IMO would be more successful if they started their new commitment with a new volume, and an explanation.

It's not about being averse to picking up a trade or catching up. It's about looking at this as something other than a seriously inconsistent book.

I get that creators have to do what they have to do, and sometimes have to think immediate future when making decisions. But not ensuring you can ship regularly in a serialized medium is a recipe for failure. Many series have tried to make similar returns, and the ones that don't reestablish themselves usually fall into the same patterns.

1 hour ago, ParamagicFF said:

I'm simply saying it has been too long since the book was released to simply continue. IMO would be more successful if they started their new commitment with a new volume, and an explanation.

It's not about being averse to picking up a trade or catching up. It's about looking at this as something other than a seriously inconsistent book.

I get that creators have to do what they have to do, and sometimes have to think immediate future when making decisions. But not ensuring you can ship regularly in a serialized medium is a recipe for failure. Many series have tried to make similar returns, and the ones that don't reestablish themselves usually fall into the same patterns.

I don't disagree that it's a big ask of your readers to get them back after this type of lag, but I think they can overcome it in the long run by getting more sequentially numbered issues under their belt. As a new reader, nothing personally excites me more about discovering a new book than knowing there is a lot of it available to catch up on. And, I know Image isn't "indie", but it is creator owned, and most of us that are deep into this hobby know how little money creators can make on a book like this, and we are a bit more forgiving. Some of us are, not all of us - some of us (I don't mean anyone in particular) want to skin them alive if they're a month late lol

10 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

I don't disagree that it's a big ask of your readers to get them back after this type of lag, but I think they can overcome it in the long run by getting more sequentially numbered issues under their belt. As a new reader, nothing personally excites me more about discovering a new book than knowing there is a lot of it available to catch up on. And, I know Image isn't "indie", but it is creator owned, and most of us that are deep into this hobby know how little money creators can make on a book like this, and we are a bit more forgiving. Some of us are, not all of us - some of us (I don't mean anyone in particular) want to skin them alive if they're a month late lol

I absolutely agree that in the long run, higher numbers are excited for interested readers. I love finding a series with plenty to catch up on, or one that is completed, so that I may binge!

My concern is that they only made it to issue 17 prior to this break, and even those issues had delays. Unless something has changed, which I hope it has, this title may not make it to the long run.

I am absolutely the fan that believes creators should be given latitude to take the needed time to create a series. I would always prefer the same creative team, rather than fill ins. If that means the series needs seasonal breaks like Saga or many of the Remender books, I'm on board with that. Those books ship when expected. But I think that is the most absence a series can withstand in a serialized medium like comics. The big key is communication and regularity. 

All this being said, I'm hoping the best for this book, and if they can keep it going regularly for a year or so, I will be in for the trades :tink:

WOW! This is great news! I too thought this was unfortunately done and over with. It was the only old school pulpy adventure book on the stands (Mercenary Sea was up there, but that sadly was cancelled). Without it I couldn't find any comics in that vein to fill the void. The closest I got recently was Cave Carson and brother that ain't cutting it...

Edited by ZimmermanTelegram

The Five Ghosts Facebook page was updated Monday (by Frank I assume) with the following message:

"Thank you all for your patience awaiting news about the next issues of Five Ghosts. We were hoping to get the ball rolling in 2017, but needed a little more time to get things together. We'll have more news for you in the coming months as we put the next batch of issues into production -- stay tuned! 2018 will see the return of Fabian Gray!"

26195768_1775627875842400_4891066189717938542_n.jpg