• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"reinforced"?

6 posts in this topic

When a purple resto label says the cover has been "reinforced" what exactly does that mean?

Could that be archival tape? japan paper?

Sometimes I see resto labels that say "tear seals" and other times I see "cover reinforced" or "spine reinforced". I just want to know what the true difference is.

Thanks

It usually means someone has removed the cover and glued a tiny piece of japan paper over the staple area on the inside of the cover.

This may have been done to fix a popped staple or as a preventative measure to keep a weak cover from letting the staple pull through it.

I think the designation is used when archival material -- archival tape, japan paper, and so on -- has been added to the spine. I don't think the designation is used for regular scotch tape or added staples.

But I don't know if they are always entirely consistent in their label notes.

I could be wrong but "reinforced" is use for professional restorations where rice paper of pulp as in leaf casting was used to fill in missing papers or sealed tears/spine split.

if amateur added pieces of paper and tapes, then it is likely to get "pieces added" in the label.

I could be wrong but "reinforced" is use for professional restorations where rice paper of pulp as in leaf casting was used to fill in missing papers or sealed tears/spine split.

if amateur added pieces of paper and tapes, then it is likely to get "pieces added" in the label.

This

In most cases, it means the entire spine had japan paper applied , to not only seal spine splits, or popped staples. But also to reinforce the entire length of the spine.

Could also mean entire outer edges had the same treatment. Not just sealing minor tears..but reinforcing an entire edge.

If just individual tears were sealed, it would say "tear seal"