• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Marvel does for me...

9 posts in this topic

See - I don't only complain about turn around times...

While I continue to be frustrated with how long CGC has held my books at 'graded' without shipping them, I was reminded last night by facebook conversation with Tnerb - that there are some books by Marvel that I do cherish and I do think that the writers at Marvel did/do better than anyone ever did at DC.

The three big things that I have always felt made Marvel readable to me are: Martial Arts, Norse Gods, and Dr. Strange.

I could care less about continuity - and I can easily grasp that a story in issue 150 happened before a story in issue 100; plus, when I was young - I didn't always have a quarter for my favorite book, so I missed many issues.

But one thing I could count on was excellent martial arts story telling in Master of Kung Fu, and fun mystic martial arts in Iron Fist/Power Man. It didn't really matter how many issues I'd missed either - because they were isolated from mainstream Marvel titles. These guys didn't hang with the Avengers or FF and I didn't need to know what was going on in the Marvelverse to understand the story.

The second thing I could always find enjoyment in was Thor. Particularly stories of Asgard and the Asgardian gods - how cool are the Warriors Three? Sif? and Thor's villains? Good storytelling unlike what I was reading at DC.

Finally - and least often as a youth - Dr. Strange. I came to appreciate Dr. Strange latter in my youth, well into my teens in fact, and I was surprised by the depth of storytelling and the beauty of the artwork. I suppose if there was on Marvel title that I would collect in CGC Dr. Strange might very well be it.

Some other time I will write about the joys of DC. The war books, the horror books and most important in my youth - the Justice League of America during the satellite years.

For now - perhaps my books will be sent from CGC today as I prepare my current batch for signature and grading at ECCC and some time hanging out with and getting to know Ronnylama & Tnerb.

Happy Hunting!

Lee K

See more journals by Lee K

7 months for anything is ridiculous. I think you can have a million dollar custom yacht built in that time..

It isn't so much the 163 calendar days that my books have been away...but the 23 business days since they went to 'graded' status without being shipped. Really? tomorrow will be 5 weeks. By comparison the IRS got my tax return to me in 17 days.

Bad comparison.

Some other time I will write about the joys of DC. The war books, the horror books

DC war and horror :cloud9: There's two things Marvel couldn't touch in terms of quality.

:whee:

I still love when I find one I've never read in the junk bin at con.

I'm glade you mentioned Dr. Strange, I have been curious about him for some time now. I've always like The Phantom Stranger and The Specter in the few stories I have read with them, maybe Dr. Strange would not be too far off, the only story with Dr. Strange that I have read so far is X-Men Annual #4.