The new gem of my collection -- Cerebus 6 interior art (Jaka!)

30 posts in this topic

2,540 posts

I just won this on Comiclink -- the full interior art of Cerebus 6 that introduced Jaka!

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=959781

This is my largest comic purchase I've ever made, but honesty I can't believe I got it for $15850. I started thinking it might be possible when the highest bid was only $6000 about 5 days ago, well short of the reserve of $15350. It only passed the reserve earlier this evening, at $15600. I figured everyone was waiting for the end of the auction to bid, as was I (although I hoped I was the only person watching it). I entered my best bid with 45 seconds left, sweating bullets that my internet would go down. My highest bid was $23000. But I was the only bidder and got it at the next increment, at $15850.

I can't tell you how happy I am to get this. If I had to pick my favorite series, it would be Cerebus. There are alot of other candidates, like ASM, FF, Strangers in Paradise, Jon Sable, Grell's Green Arrow, Miller's DD, Bone, etc., but if I had to pick one, it would be Cerebus.

With most titles, I would have a hard time picking out my favorite issue. But for Cerebus, for me, it's clearly #6, the introduction of Jaka. This issue has a great mix of humor and romance and a bit of action (in a 3 Stooges kind of way). It's also a great example of Sim's early art and shows some innocence, much different from his more refined art later, especially once Gerhard joined him and he was relieved of dealing with the backgrounds.

But especially, this is my favorite because of Jaka, who next to Gwen Stacy is my favorite female love interest. But truth to tell ASM 31 is not that great an issue as regards Gwen -- she's introduced, but that's about it. But Cerebus #6 is all about Jaka. On top of that, Jaka is such an integral part of the entire 300 issue Cerebus story. That's not really the case with Gwen.

So, I can't believe I now own the original art of my all-time favorite issue of my all-time favorite title! How often does that happen? I feel like toasting with apricot brandy!

RAD5B9BB201318_12713_zpsd5fe05c9.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

23,047 posts

Congratulations

45,967 posts
(worship)

7,617 posts

Awesome! Congrats on the purchase. Enjoy it!!!!

1,528 posts

Congrats-it's the best part of collecting. Looking at something, loving it and still not believing how lucky you are to have the precious in your own hands.

2,762 posts
penguin.gif

274 posts

Awesome.

Any idea how you will store / display it?

10,671 posts

A friend of mind has a lot of Cerebus OA. I just told him about this. He thought it was a fantastic buy.

Congrats.

24,582 posts

Big congrats. Stellar pick up !! :)

6,661 posts

Its great to get something what you want so far under what you are willing to pay.

Well done and enjoy :applause:

22,945 posts
But especially, this is my favorite because of Jaka, who next to Gwen Stacy is my favorite female love interest. But truth to tell ASM 31 is not that great an issue as regards Gwen -- she's introduced, but that's about it. But Cerebus #6 is all about Jaka. On top of that, Jaka is such an integral part of the entire 300 issue Cerebus story. That's not really the case with Gwen.

Well, as someone who owns three of the four ASM #31 original art pages that features Gwen's first appearance, I disagree ;) , but I do think you got an incredible deal on the Cerebus #6 story. Outside of mainstream superhero art, there are definitely some bargains to be had in the original art world. Congrats!

1,898 posts

Congratulations on your purchase. I had no idea that Sim's stuff had gone to such high prices. Had I known, I wouldn't have left the marker drawing he did for me framied but in the sunlight for all those years.

3,179 posts

I love Cerebus. Many congratulations on a great purchase. :applause:

1,835 posts
(worship)

3,951 posts

(worship)

Congrats!

32,865 posts

Wow! Congrats!!!! (worship)