• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The new gem of my collection -- Cerebus 6 interior art (Jaka!)

29 posts in this topic

But especially, this is my favorite because of Jaka, who next to Gwen Stacy is my favorite female love interest. But truth to tell ASM 31 is not that great an issue as regards Gwen -- she's introduced, but that's about it. But Cerebus #6 is all about Jaka. On top of that, Jaka is such an integral part of the entire 300 issue Cerebus story. That's not really the case with Gwen.

Well, as someone who owns three of the four ASM #31 original art pages that features Gwen's first appearance, I disagree ;) , but I do think you got an incredible deal on the Cerebus #6 story. Outside of mainstream superhero art, there are definitely some bargains to be had in the original art world. Congrats!

No offense intended, as I mentioned Gwen is my favorite female love interest. I remember when I read 121. I was riding my bike doing my paper route, reading as I went along (sort of like texting while driving today I guess). I literally fell off the bike when she died. It's nice to meet the person who owns those Gwen pages. Since I've always assumed they'd never be offered for sale, I've been collecting convention sketches of Gwen. Some are here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=288174&Number=6407348#Post6407348

Here's another one:

Drawing_zps6102833f.png

Gwens at a convention:

twogwens_zpsb222cd0a.jpg

Awesome.

Any idea how you will store / display it?

I'm thinking I'll put each page in a mylar with backing board, then get one of those art portfolio books you can buy at cons or art stores and put the mylared pages in that so it can be read like a book. But I'd also like to be able to display a page or 2 in my comic book room, and rotate the pages over time.

Received the art earlier this week. Comiclink does a good job of packing.

I still can't believe I now own the entire issue. It's not just having this particular comic, but just the fact of having all the pages of an entire comic. I'm interested to know the history of these pages. I can't imagine a collector bought these pages one by one, as who can tell when they might go on sale, and when. So they must have been sold to the previous owner all together, just like I bought them. So how did the previous owner get them? Maybe a friend or acquintance of Dave Sim? Or maybe it was Sim who sold them via comiclink? Maybe it was Deni who sold them, if somehow she owned the pages?

Anyway, here are the pages (each page in mylar with an acid free backing board):

DSCN3030_zpsd8bbe023.jpg

DSCN3027_zpsaa1c1dc7.jpg

I decided to put them in an art porfolio for now. But it's not very sturdy, so it's a temporary home until I figure out something better.

DSCN3032_zps582fca9b.jpg

DSCN3033_zps119c0421.jpg

Dave Sim told me at the Heritage auction that he sold the pages, the complete issue, for $10 each back in the day. He sold them to a collector he told me. If you are really interested, call Aardvark-Vanaheim, Dave will be the one to answer the phone.

I just won this on Comiclink -- the full interior art of Cerebus 6 that introduced Jaka!

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=959781

This is my largest comic purchase I've ever made, but honesty I can't believe I got it for $15850. I started thinking it might be possible when the highest bid was only $6000 about 5 days ago, well short of the reserve of $15350. It only passed the reserve earlier this evening, at $15600. I figured everyone was waiting for the end of the auction to bid, as was I (although I hoped I was the only person watching it). I entered my best bid with 45 seconds left, sweating bullets that my internet would go down. My highest bid was $23000. But I was the only bidder and got it at the next increment, at $15850.

I can't tell you how happy I am to get this. If I had to pick my favorite series, it would be Cerebus. There are alot of other candidates, like ASM, FF, Strangers in Paradise, Jon Sable, Grell's Green Arrow, Miller's DD, Bone, etc., but if I had to pick one, it would be Cerebus.

With most titles, I would have a hard time picking out my favorite issue. But for Cerebus, for me, it's clearly #6, the introduction of Jaka. This issue has a great mix of humor and romance and a bit of action (in a 3 Stooges kind of way). It's also a great example of Sim's early art and shows some innocence, much different from his more refined art later, especially once Gerhard joined him and he was relieved of dealing with the backgrounds.

But especially, this is my favorite because of Jaka, who next to Gwen Stacy is my favorite female love interest. But truth to tell ASM 31 is not that great an issue as regards Gwen -- she's introduced, but that's about it. But Cerebus #6 is all about Jaka. On top of that, Jaka is such an integral part of the entire 300 issue Cerebus story. That's not really the case with Gwen.

So, I can't believe I now own the original art of my all-time favorite issue of my all-time favorite title! How often does that happen? I feel like toasting with apricot brandy!

RAD5B9BB201318_12713_zpsd5fe05c9.jpg

Amazing! :applause: Just slightly off topic.. do you know where the cover is, and if it's for sale?