• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone collect vintage board games?

32 posts in this topic

Not vintage per say, but I have a few Avalon Hill wargame titles. I may attempt to collect them all at some point in the future. They had some amazing games and it is a shame they no longer produce most of them.

I can help you in this field. Worthpoint has lots of great articles and advice in this realm. Would you like me to post some links?

I too collect rare, high grade board games as well.

Let me know. I am happy to help.

'mint'

Not so much for old collectible games, but

www.boardgamegeek.com

is a cool resource for people that actually play games. They also have a marketplace setup and you can check some valuations.

www.consimworld.com

is another site that focuses primarily on military strategy games.

Avalon Hill used to hold/participate the World Boardgaming championship in Hunt Valley Md. It's still going on in Lancaster PA. I think it's done by the boardgame players assoc.

GMT Games may be the closest substitute to Avalon Hill today.

I've always thought old board games were really cool, and should be framed as art. But I know next to nothing about the collectibles market for them.

Anyway, I thought this was a cool article: The shady origins of five popular board games

Can you tell me what exactly "vintage" means?

I've always thought old board games were really cool, and should be framed as art. But I know next to nothing about the collectibles market for them.

Anyway, I thought this was a cool article: The shady origins of five popular board games

McLaughlin Bros

Parker Bros in cursive without the swirl

Generally speaking the term 'vintage' means old enough to qualify as collectible, but not quite so old that it is defined as 'antique' (i.e. one hundred years or more). Most fairly popular vintage games hail from the 1950's to the 1980's with some exceptions like the first edition of Monopoly, which soon will qualify as antique.

This is too funny, as I don't doubt your question is sincere, but the answer is 'semantics.' There really is no agreed to definition of 'retro' or even 'classic' in a true GENERAL sense. Even 'vintage' can be interchanged with either word and have the same meaning.

That being said, certain collectible categories DO use the word specifically. Some examples include 'classic cars', 'antique cars', 'retro games/classic games' and more.

Hope that helps clarify.

'mint'