• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone collect vintage board games?

32 posts in this topic

Been a board gamer all my life and still love it. Marriage, kids, career have made it difficult over the last few years to get together and play on a regular basis.

I once hit an estate sale that had about 30 Avalon Hill bookcase and military strategy games which I scored for $100. The market isn't too hot except for the truly rare games and some of them are really too complex for people like my wife but fun to collect nonetheless. Boardgamegeek is definitely the place for learning what to buy. Games these days are really good quality in materials but can go for upwards of $70 or more.

I know for sure that my grandparents had an edition of Calling All Cars, probably from the '50s to play with my mother and uncle:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8733/calling-all-cars

Not sure what happened to it...I remember playing it in say the early to mid '80s, in my grandparents Bronx apartment, before they moved down to Florida (like all elderly New Yorkers did).

VF / NM

I've always thought old board games were really cool, and should be framed as art. But I know next to nothing about the collectibles market for them.

Anyway, I thought this was a cool article: The shady origins of five popular board games

I agree. Just like many old comics, the graphics and art on many old game box covers and boards is wonderful. Many people do display and/or frame them.

I used to own more than 1000 board games, from the 1800s to the 1970s, but have sold most of them. Down to just a few hundred.

I still own more than 1000 games that are not board games.

I used to display my board games without framing, though currently they are (what's left of them) in storage, for the most part.

This is too funny, as I don't doubt your question is sincere, but the answer is 'semantics.' There really is no agreed to definition of 'retro' or even 'classic' in a true GENERAL sense. Even 'vintage' can be interchanged with either word and have the same meaning.

That being said, certain collectible categories DO use the word specifically. Some examples include 'classic cars', 'antique cars', 'retro games/classic games' and more.

Hope that helps clarify.

'mint'

With games, the term "classic game" often refers to a game which has come to be seen as having survived the test of time and is still played and/or popular to some degree. Examples would be chess, checkers, backgammon, and even Monopoly and the Game of Life.

These games are still produced and played.

Other old games that are not still produced would fall into the following categories.

As stated above:

The term "vintage game" refers to old but not more than 100 years old; more than 100 years old is an "antique game".

The term "retro game" is not often used, but would for the most part mean "vintage game".

I have several keepers. Im also sure Mark Zaid could fill 10 pages in this thread with photos of antiques games

I love collecting vintage games! Just wish they didn't take up so much room!!

You can find some examples of various board member's vintage game collections here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3554311&gonew=1#UNREAD

Alas, you have to search through the thread but there is some great stuff to see no matter what you collect!

Nobody on this forum mentioned Fireball Island? I am heart broken...lol!

I make a lot of money buying and flipping this game alone. And yes, I do own a 'mint' copy (of course)! lol!

In all seriousness, it is a great game!