• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Dringenberg - :-(

722 posts in this topic

Was a fix announced publicly? Just been glancing over the thread and may have missed it.

I hope no one is doubting that the Rep is trying to do everything in his power to make this right, but it does all fall back on Mike. He should make a public apology to his fans.

I announced it in this thread earlier. It would have been easy to miss.

I agree that we would like Mike to make an apology. The last time I spoke to the rep, he had been unable to get in touch with Mike. It's my understanding that this is very common with Mike and that the rep will talk with Mike about it as soon as he can.

No offense, but his rep working to fix this is damage control. His rep makes (part of) his living off the success/revenue of Dringerberg, so Im sure his rep is working to fix this. He needs to make a statement, apologize for his actions (both to SF and Menace's wife, and anyone else he was an arse to at ECCC and say what his plans are going forward for future cons (signing fee, donations to Heroes fund, always personalizing books, etc).

Sandman was a pretty medium bridging book in its time. Im sure there are Sandman fans for whom that is their only connection to the comic book world. So to imagine that one of those fans may have come to ECCC to meet Dringerberg, experienced his salty version of "fan appreciation", and now has no interest in returning to the world of cons and comics, well thats a sad idea.

Dringer's rep could show up here with Sandman OA, and a full color commission from Dringer for seanf to "fix things" but its going to ring very hollow.

None taken, but here are some other facts that may have been missed:

1) Mike's rep and I talked on Monday, well before the Bleeding Cool story. It may be part damage control, but I believe that the rep genuinely feels bad that this happens and, in part blames himself for not being there and not talking to Mike in advance about CGC. Mike's rep wants this taken care of. If people don't believe that, that's their choice. It's likely that some people wouldn't be satisfied if Mike himself came on here and apologized.

2) You may have your demands for what Mike or his rep should do, but I've talked with Sean and Jake already about the fix and both seem satisfied. If neither is, they can contact me.

3) When I originally announced the fix, it was because Mike's art rep requested that I do so on his behalf. Whether it's ok with you or not, I certainly consider that about the same as Mike's art rep making a statement.

4) From all accounts that I heard and witnessed, Mike was amazing with his fans. He went above and beyond on his commissions. As far as we know, he was unpleasant to a few people looking for CGC signatures (myself included).

I think it's unfair and unbecoming to attack Mike's rep on this. He's working on it. I don't think that attacking him will help resolve the issue and will only make it more likely that he'll say "f this, screw CGC, let these guys have their defaced books." That is my opinion. Nothing more.

know what B30? Im gonna do a rare move here on the boards and admit my post overstepped my place. :o

The issue is between Mike (via his rep), Sean & Jake. They get to decide if they've been made whole once this comes to a close, not me.

I'm truely glad to hear that Mike was great with his fans and limited his ire to the few people trying to get CGC SS signatures.

Maybe I'm just to jaded being around marketing departments and agents for to long. I don't get to decided the agents intent behind trying to fix things. You are right, I don't get to attack his intent. Let me see if the CGC board filter will let me type this next phrase (haven't seen it used here much): Im sorry. [yep it went thru!]

It certainly does seem like Mike's rep is very upset about these instances, and that he is trying to make them right. And thanks for acting as a conduit so Sean and Jake are getting some response to their situations.

[please dont read any of my attempted humor as sarcasm, it is just meant to add some levity to my honest retreat and apology]

I would say that since the story made Bleeding Cool, and this thread got pointed to thru various medias (twitter, Im guessing facebook, etc) that the Art Rep might want to make some statement once things are made right since this has expanded beyond just Sean and Jake at this point (though they are the only ones who were actually wronged), but thats the Reps call, not mine.