• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever sold a comic you regret selling?

71 posts in this topic

I've sold off my collections twice for more important things like rent money or car payments. I don't regret selling any books. Ever. It's just stuff.

I regret that the boards doesn't have a more accessible and user friendly search function with an oakman29 level of understandability.

I said this in the last thread,so for and giggles I'll say it again.

I sold only two times in my life,and both times it was here.I sold a F.F. 52 that I've owned since 1975,and regretted it the second I mailed it to him.I told him if he ever needs to sell it to please give me the opportunity to buy it back,he did.I bought the book back,now it's back where it belongs. :cloud9:

I've sold off my collections twice for more important things like rent money or car payments. I don't regret selling any books. Ever. It's just stuff.

Agreed. Everything I have ever sold was because I no longer wanted it. Anything I have sold, I could buy again.

I sold ASM 121, 122...both raw, just as CGC was getting started. The buyer slabbed 'em both and one came back a 9.6, the other a 9.8 (probably gift grades, but still...)

I didn't regret it until a few years later and I saw what that 9.8 was selling for.

:tonofbricks:

I regret that the boards doesn't have a more accessible and user friendly search function with an oakman29 level of understandability.

Here I thought we were friends.

My biggest one would be a Captain America Comics #1, which I sold shortly after joining the boards to Gator for like 12k or something like that... It's now nearly impossible to find one like it,and it's also worth about 30k.

But I could go on and on and on with similar stories. So could many others. Name of the game.

I sold off my SA collection in 1995, mostly accumulated from the early Eighties to date, while putting together a downpayment for a house. I have replaced nearly all the books since then , albeit not in as nice a shape in many instances, but the one I regret most was my Cerebus 1, bought off the newsstand new for a buck back in 1977. For years I thought I'd never replace it, but eventually did manage to do so, but without the personalized sig from Dave Sim.

The rest of it will eventually come to me too, in at least reading copies, but there was one piece I sold that I mightily regret to this day.

I had a page from Fantastic Four 19, gorgeous twice up size, with the FF reviewing their Rogues Gallery. I'll never replace it, or have anything anywhere near as early. The art market has skyrocketed in the last 20 years.

Sigh...

I regret moving into a roommate situation, where the roommate decided to "borrow" a long box of comics for the week while she stayed at her "girlfriend"'s house. Only to find that at the end of the week the house was in immediate foreclosure at the end of the week. And her cellphone number suddenly stopped working. Makes be wonder what the hell she did with my half of the rent for the previous months leading up to this.

This reminds me of something... I attended an event prior to the release of the movie "The Crow" which included the comic book's writer, the cast and crew (minus Brandon Lee, who died during production). I got everybody there to sign a volume of the comic book. It was really cool and something I figured I'd keep forever. A few months later I was dating a woman and she asked if she could "borrow" it as material for a class presentation she was working on (or something). She also borrowed some other materials that were related to the class, so it sort of seemed like a legitimate request. In spite of the fact that she and I had gotten along very well, suddenly after borrowing this stuff she stopped returning my phone calls and I was never able to figure out what happened. Obviously she either wanted to keep the stuff, or she sold it or gave it away and didn't want to deal with telling me. Lesson learned: People are flakes and NEVER loan out anything you care about.

Back in 1980 my parents split and my dad sold some comics to a couple of guys, including his AF15.

One of the guys that he didn't know asked to borrow a few ( for example Avengers 1-10, X-Men 1-10, there were 57 altogether) and of course he never brought them back.

We saw the other guy a few years later at a mart ans he said he thought the guy moved to London to become some sort of artist.

Shame. I was eight at the time and I never got to appreciate them - dad bought them all as they were released too.

I regret moving into a roommate situation, where the roommate decided to "borrow" a long box of comics for the week while she stayed at her "girlfriend"'s house. Only to find that at the end of the week the house was in immediate foreclosure at the end of the week. And her cellphone number suddenly stopped working. Makes be wonder what the hell she did with my half of the rent for the previous months leading up to this.

This reminds me of something... I attended an event prior to the release of the movie "The Crow" which included the comic book's writer, the cast and crew (minus Brandon Lee, who died during production). I got everybody there to sign a volume of the comic book. It was really cool and something I figured I'd keep forever. A few months later I was dating a woman and she asked if she could "borrow" it as material for a class presentation she was working on (or something). She also borrowed some other materials that were related to the class, so it sort of seemed like a legitimate request. In spite of the fact that she and I had gotten along very well, suddenly after borrowing this stuff she stopped returning my phone calls and I was never able to figure out what happened. Obviously she either wanted to keep the stuff, or she sold it or gave it away and didn't want to deal with telling me. Lesson learned: People are flakes and NEVER loan out anything you care about.

I don't even let my wife touch my books. meh

I regret selling the collection that me and my dad had taken over thirty years to collect. I was a poor student and needed the money.

What I regret more is selling it to Darryl at silver acre.

...that's rubbing salt in the wound :(

Agreed. Everything I have ever sold was because I no longer wanted it. Anything I have sold, I could buy again.

If you can find it. That’s the problem: surely with wide-circulated comics you can do so, but if something is really rare, and I mean existing in a limited number of copies, you will not be sure you’d be able to find it again.

sold a whole run of Iron Man and a run of Daredevil that was about 95 percent complete with all the keys, but needed money for the light and water bill and rent was comin up. got a good price, but it still sticks in my crawl.

:pullhair: