• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marilyn Monroe for the win! (Teen-Age Diary Secrets #6 auction)
3 3

128 posts in this topic

I'd say the seller is quite lucky. Looks like another one is up for grabs. I'd say around $300 for this one. I think it was a big fluke to get $2k for this book but hey if they all sell for this, I'm sure we'll be seeing more come up for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEEN-AGE-DIARY-SECRETS-6-/121075900059?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c30af9e9b

Speaking of somewhat rare romance books. This auction ends in a couple hours if anyone is interested in a GCE 15?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200900338779?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

i been watching this since it posted last week. i sold my 2 copies so needed to add this book again, not bad for $177. sold my cgc 3.0 for $650 private sale.

Hello Joanna :hi:

Glad you picked it up at a decent price! I'd say $177 is a good deal for this one.

I'd say the seller is quite lucky. Looks like another one is up for grabs. I'd say around $300 for this one. I think it was a big fluke to get $2k for this book but hey if they all sell for this, I'm sure we'll be seeing more come up for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEEN-AGE-DIARY-SECRETS-6-/121075900059?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c30af9e9b

And the ripple effect has begun... Yes, it will be interesting to see how this does. I wonder if yesterday's winner will be watching.

And the ripple effect has begun... Yes, it will be interesting to see how this does. I wonder if yesterday's winner will be watching.

This is interesting. Its a shame that you cant see information about who the bidders are anymore on ebay - I would bet that the bidders in the first auction are not golden age comic book fans but rather die-hard MM fans, which means that condition really isnt much of an issue, its more about having the item to complete one's collection (Kind of what comic collecting used to be all about - ah, well...).

I suspect if a comic dealer buys this book and puts it on CLink, not much will happen. It needs to be put in front of the right collectors!

Edited by AtlasFan

Speaking of somewhat rare romance books. This auction ends in a couple hours if anyone is interested in a GCE 15?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200900338779?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

i been watching this since it posted last week. i sold my 2 copies so needed to add this book again, not bad for $177. sold my cgc 3.0 for $650 private sale.

Hello Joanna :hi:

$177 is a good price on that one. Not the easiest book to find, although there seem to have been a few floating around lately. A 2.5 went for $375 in the recent CLink auction.

Noooo Marilyn watch out !

That Widmark creep is gonna push you down the stairs !

Sorry,Kiss of death scene flashback there.

Actually, it's just the reverse here. That publicity still is probably from "Don't Bother to Knock". Widmark gets involved at a hotel with Marilyn... who turns out to be a dangerous psychotic babysitter. It's Widmark that needs to look out in this '50s variation on "Fatal Attraction"!

Very good estimate. Final price: $316.43

Very good estimate. Final price: $316.43

Dang you're fast. You're right, the $300 estimate was very astute.

Looks like neither the winner nor the underbidder of the previous auction show up in the bidding list for this one.

That original Teen-Age Diary Secrets 6 is back on Ebay. Same book, same description. I've asked the seller for an explanation - the most obvious of course is that it was returned.

By the way, with this particular seller, who's running the old "found it in my parents attic" routine, the thinking among those of us here who've bid is - clean book, I'll just get it pressed, no problem?

UPDATE: So I also asked the buyer to share anything he/she can about that so as to prevent the rest of us from making a costly mistake. I received an answer, which I don't think is betraying a confidence to reveal the jist of: buyer beware, you might want to stay clear of this seller.

I have been watching this item/seller to look for a feedback from the buyer, because I considered it iffy whether the sale would go through at that price.

I also emailed the seller about the non-sale. He or she said that the bidder never paid and would not respond to multiple emails asking for an explanation. I don't believe the seller is pulling a fast one; I think the bidder(s) were in a bidding war that got out of hand, and then the winning bidder balked.

It seems very unlikely that the seller would be involved in a shilling scheme to pump up this relatively obscure comic.

You're probably right, the buyer doesn't have a history of big purchases anywhere approaching this amount, and the explanation was cryptic. I'm prejudiced against the seller in advance I suppose, the attic is a time honored ploy by dealers who find that for some reason that excites buyers beyond reason. Which in the case of any of these books - if you're not going to press them, and all the bidders are? then I don't get it at all. Really.

Not that it really matters whether it's a dealer or not - the book's the book. And the other items the seller has sold are not what you'd call dealer's stock: vintage feed bags! lol

I also emailed the seller about the non-sale. He or she said that the bidder never paid and would not respond to multiple emails asking for an explanation. I don't believe the seller is pulling a fast one; I think the bidder(s) were in a bidding war that got out of hand, and then the winning bidder balked.

Just to clarify, the above sentence means the winning bidder would not respond to the seller's emails; not that the seller would not respond to my emails (the seller has been very forthright in responding to me).

And yeah on the "vintage feedbags"... You can't make that sort of thing up!

Just to clarify, the above sentence means the winning bidder would not respond to the seller's emails; not that the seller would not respond to my emails (the seller has been very forthright in responding to me).

And yeah on the "vintage feedbags"... You can't make that sort of thing up!

Judging from the seller's fb, the other comic sales seem to have gone through fine.

Noooo Marilyn watch out !

That Widmark creep is gonna push you down the stairs !

Sorry,Kiss of death scene flashback there.

Actually, it's just the reverse here. That publicity still is probably from "Don't Bother to Knock". Widmark gets involved at a hotel with Marilyn... who turns out to be a dangerous psychotic babysitter. It's Widmark that needs to look out in this '50s variation on "Fatal Attraction"!

Thanks.

Push her down the stairs Richard !

Push her down the staaaaiiiirrsss !

See ? Same old Richard,different justification.

She sold a Jughead 1 for $1,275 last night. Very nice looking book. Potentially could rival the current top census 8.5s. If so, the buyer got a bargain. But in the description she notes some wear and tear that isn't easily visible in her photos. So,the grade make come back lower than the buyer expects. And, like her other books, it needs a good pressing.

Still those comics in the attic are bringing more than I imagine she expected.