• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marilyn Monroe for the win! (Teen-Age Diary Secrets #6 auction)
3 3

128 posts in this topic

Well, eBay auction lightning did not strike the same place twice, but $300+ is still a respectable sum for a romance comic.

Was it ever proved that this in Marilyn Monroe? With as much touching up as they did of photos even back then, it could be anybody. I won't believe it unless I see documentation.

2593826-teen6.jpg

Well, eBay auction lightning did not strike the same place twice, but $300+ is still a respectable sum for a romance comic.

Was it ever proved that this in Marilyn Monroe? With as much touching up as they did of photos even back then, it could be anybody. I won't believe it unless I see documentation.

2593826-teen6.jpg

I wasn't able to find the reference in the Vanity Fair article the OP links to. But there are photos in that slide show that closely resemble the photo on the TDS 6 cover.

That Diary Secrets cover is definitely Marilyn. These photos were taken in 1946 by Bruno Bernard. Take a long look at the red sweater and the plaid skirt and note the sweater and skirt are the same in all these pictures and on the Diary Secrets cover.

mm1_zpset63wgeg.jpgmm2_zpss97pojry.jpg

The poses are similar in these black & white photos and it appears the image on the cover is reversed. (Notice the belt)

So will this be the next hot book?

mm3_zpsjo59oqqz.jpgmm4_zpsuuerb368.jpgmm5_zps72cnzwxi.jpg2593826-teen6.jpg

The reason Marilyn is less recognizable on that cover is because she had plastic surgery on her nose and chin around 1950 and we are used to iconic images of her after that time.

mm%20surgery_zps1wfvnj26.jpg

Here she is posing with a few of her 1946 magazine covers. She is very photogenic, isn't she?

mm%20mags46_zpsghiulegp.jpg

That Diary Secrets cover is definitely Marilyn. These photos were taken in 1946 by Bruno Bernard. Take a long look at the red sweater and the plaid skirt and note the sweater and skirt are the same in all these pictures and on the Diary Secrets cover.

mm1_zpset63wgeg.jpgmm2_zpss97pojry.jpg

The poses are similar in these black & white photos and it appears the image on the cover is reversed. (Notice the belt)

mm3_zpsjo59oqqz.jpgmm4_zpsuuerb368.jpgmm5_zps72cnzwxi.jpg2593826-teen6.jpg

The reason Marilyn is less recognizable on that cover is because she had plastic surgery on her nose and chin around 1950 and we are used to iconic images of her after that time.

mm%20surgery_zps1wfvnj26.jpg

Here she is posing with a few of her 1946 magazine covers. She is very photogenic, isn't she?

mm%20mags46_zpsghiulegp.jpg

Great work! Thanks for posting.

I agree that you've presented good evidence, but I'm still not certain. I'm not convinced the woman in the color photos and the woman in the black & white photos are the same person. The nose looks different to me. It's entirely possible that Bernard had multiple models wear the same outfit. If he shot some photos of Marilyn Monroe, he may have sought out a look-alike later on for additional poses.

Lighting can affect the way an object looks. Here's two color pictures of a young Marilyn Monroe from the same Bruno Bernard photo shoot. The stronger lighting in the first picture looks more like Marilyn than the second. The softer lighting in the second photo softens the round features of her nose and face.

49100211ac08dd4226e5c5eb000476f2_zpsrfgdh3zv.jpg0c3e0038eff3e9f4c41ebd5e01fb05b1_zps0grpyreg.jpg

I've flipped the first picture of her glancing sideways and rotated it slightly so the faces can be compared to the cover. I think it's a match.

2593826-teen6.jpgf5c794165d26171e472b5975a4b06d00_zpsifhg2xai.jpg

If it's documented that the Bernard photos are MM, then I think you're probably right. The DS cover girl does appear to be the same model as the one in the photos. I think whatever photo was used for the comic cover might have been retouched somewhat.