• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marilyn Monroe for the win! (Teen-Age Diary Secrets #6 auction)
3 3

128 posts in this topic

Here is my copy that I picked up at SDCC 2015. It was a little expensive.

Diary%20Secrets%206%20MM%20cover_zpszj0xaxam.jpg

Nice! From Harley?

Yup!

I saw this when he first got it raw. Called it a 7.5. Then came the sticker shock.

Yeah, he told me that he just threw a number out there to see what would happen. He had the book CGC'd and he lowered the price from "outer space" to the "earth's atmosphere". I basically had two or three seconds to think about it -- and my thought was when will I have another opportunity to buy a good looking copy? So I bought it. I was in shock that I did it, but right now I am very happy I bought it!

Bumble Kitty, I think it's a great book and whatever you paid, I would probably have paid at least as much if I didn't own a copy.

Harley did indeed offer me this copy when it was raw. He said he thought it might grade at 8.0. I was skeptical and since I already have the 7.0 copy, I passed. I can't quite remember what price he was asking. The book is definitely improved relative to how it looked when I saw it. Then it was in desperate need of a press and had some pencil marks that seem to have been removed.

A somewhat puzzling aspect of the story is that someone who is looking for a copy asked me to follow up with Harley and he told me it had graded at 6.5 and that he had sold it. That was more than a month ago.

Perhaps he meant that a deal had been agreed to and the person would pick the book up at SDCC. Maybe this other potential buyer was the reason he only gave you a brief time to make up your mind.

Bumble Kitty, I think it's a great book and whatever you paid, I would probably have paid at least as much if I didn't own a copy.

Harley did indeed offer me this copy when it was raw. He said he thought it might grade at 8.0. I was skeptical and since I already have the 7.0 copy, I passed. I can't quite remember what price he was asking. The book is definitely improved relative to how it looked when I saw it. Then it was in desperate need of a press and had some pencil marks that seem to have been removed.

A somewhat puzzling aspect of the story is that someone who is looking for a copy asked me to follow up with Harley and he told me it had graded at 6.5 and that he had sold it. That was more than a month ago.

Perhaps he meant that a deal had been agreed to and the person would pick the book up at SDCC. Maybe this other potential buyer was the reason he only gave you a brief time to make up your mind.

Harley told me about it at Wondercon after it had gone for grading, and he told me the original price. :boo:

He asked if I was interested and I said "yeah, let me know when it comes back". At that point, the worst that can happen is I say no. Plus, it will be a few months down the road. Well, he calls me in one month with the grade and price. ???

That is when I had two or three seconds to decide. After I said yes, we struck a deal or he struck me (I don't know how to describe it). I sent him a hefty down payment and we agreed to complete the deal at SDCC.

Ok, that makes sense. That must be why he told me a month ago that the book had been sold. It's a very nice copy and, if I'm reading the census correctly, tied for third highest of only five graded copies.

Harley's latest tactic seems to be only give the buyer a few moments to decide. The panic, the rush. You won out on getting a copy that was fixed and graded and cheaper than than the hallucinogenic price he originally asked.

Hey Sqeegs, if this hasn't been covered before(and if it has, forgive me, missed that conversation); With proven documentation by jpepx78, why doesn't CGC note this as a MM cover on the label?

Hey Sqeegs, if this hasn't been covered before(and if it has, forgive me, missed that conversation); With proven documentation by jpepx78, why doesn't CGC note this as a MM cover on the label?

Their default on label notes seems to be to follow Overstreet. OS doesn't note this as an MM cover. With so few copies slabbed, I imagine it hasn't yet come up. I think they might be amenable to looking at the evidence, though.

Harley's latest tactic seems to be only give the buyer a few moments to decide. The panic, the rush. You won out on getting a copy that was fixed and graded and cheaper than than the hallucinogenic price he originally asked.

I hope I didn't give the impression that Harley held a gun to my head. He honored his promise by giving me the first crack at it. He told me the grade and the price and asked if I wanted it. I felt if I didn't buy it, he had other potential buyers lined up. It would not have been fair to Harley if I asked him to hold the book for a bit while I tried to make up my mind. So I made a decision quickly and bought it.

A few years back he called me out of the blue and said he had two Baker books for sale and asked if I was interested. Again, I felt he was shopping the books around for a quick sale. I asked if he could give me one day to decide, as I was not home at the moment and I had to check my collection when I got home. I got the impression I was not the first person he called.

The next day I called him back and bought both books. I could have easily passed on them, but I would have probably regretted it afterwards. Harley's prices may be aggressive, but he has books for sale most others do not. He can continue to sell me books and I will probably buy most of them!

I hope I didn't give the impression that Harley held a gun to my head. He honored his promise by giving me the first crack at it. He told me the grade and the price and asked if I wanted it. I felt if I didn't buy it, he had other potential buyers lined up. It would not have been fair to Harley if I asked him to hold the book for a bit while I tried to make up my mind. So I made a decision quickly and bought it.

A few years back he called me out of the blue and said he had two Baker books for sale and asked if I was interested. Again, I felt he was shopping the books around for a quick sale. I asked if he could give me one day to decide, as I was not home at the moment and I had to check my collection when I got home. I got the impression I was not the first person he called.

The next day I called him back and bought both books. I could have easily passed on them, but I would have probably regretted it afterwards. Harley's prices may be aggressive, but he has books for sale most others do not. He can continue to sell me books and I will probably buy most of them!

That's what happened recently with me. Calls me up and brings over the goods. We're not going for lunch, he wants to know now, or I'll never see them again. Lately he's been buying back books from a guy in my city, books Harley sold him years ago. I'm his first stop. Then they're gone. I felt the gun.

I have never gotten a call from Harley. How come I don't get to feel the gun?

You don't wanna. Although it can be good, one feels depleted afterward.

Emotionally, financially, or both? :D

I have bought from Harley for years and my experience is always the same. I see him at a show and ask if he brought anything I might be interested in. He thinks for a second and says no. Later in the show I find something right up my alley going through his books and he gives me a little off the price. This year it was Adventures of Big Boy #4 with a great robot cover.

Ken

I have bought from Harley for years and my experience is always the same. I see him at a show and ask if he brought anything I might be interested in. He thinks for a second and says no. Later in the show I find something right up my alley going through his books and he gives me a little off the price. This year it was Adventures of Big Boy #4 with a great robot cover.

Ken

That Big Boy came from a collection I brokered for Harley. A friend passed away suddenly awhile back. He had a lot of giveaways. Harley got most of everything.