• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marilyn Monroe for the win! (Teen-Age Diary Secrets #6 auction)
3 3

128 posts in this topic

On 7/16/2015 at 1:07 PM, Robot Man said:

Does Harley pay well for collections?

Kind of curious who how out there really pays the most for GA and SA collections.

I think these days with auctions so easy to use, dealers usually have to pay through the nose for choice material ... and then try to resell it for through the nose +20%.

10 minutes ago, fett said:
17 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

It's such a cool book:  MM on the cover and Baker on the inside.  What more could ask? :)

how about a Baker rendition of Marilyn? :) 

:cloud9:

Greetings, Hope everyone is having a great Sunday, I just found in a collection I bought, a nice mid grade copy of TEEN-AGE DIARY SECRETS #6 CANADIAN EDITION by SUPERIOR PUBLISHERS, the # in the INDICIA is hard to read due to lousy printing (I hope that will not cause an issue on identifying the book) , I am planning on sending to CGC but was wondering if anyone had any data on the worth of CANADIAN edition in a 6.0? Just so I have a better idea on what tier to use. Also has "Marilyn Monroe on cover" been added now to the CGC label? Thank you in advance for any useful information. Cheers, Maurice

img290.jpg

img291.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 11.51.48 AM.png

congrats on a great score!

imho, you definitely should use the Express tier.  The Standard tier only covers up to $1000 and the book will be worth more than that.  And then as long as you're pushed into the Express tier, make sure to peg the value at the max of $3000. 

Hard to say how much the FMV is.  One things for sure though - it's a hot book, and the Canadian reprints (in general) are worth more % wise these days then they were in the past.  Maybe 75% now relative to the US edition vs 50% or lower even 3 years ago.

And according to the census they should put Marilyn Monore on the label.  But I'd write that in on the bottom of the submit form anyway.

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

imho, you definitely should use the Express tier.  The Standard tier only covers up to $1000 and the book will be worth more than that.  And then as long as you're pushed into the Express tier, make sure to peg the value at the max of $3000. 

Hard to say how much the FMV is.  One things for sure though - it's a hot book, and the Canadian reprints (in general) are worth more % wise these days then they were in the past.  Maybe 75% now relative to the US edition vs 50% or lower even 3 years ago.

And according to the census they should put Marilyn Monore on the label.  But I'd write that in on the bottom of the submit form anyway.

I was thinking about what you were. Canadian editions do not seem to be worth more (both versions are scarce) in spite of a (possibly?) lower print run. But their value is a solid portion of their American counterparts. Great book!

2 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Thank you for the info Dr.Love, hopefully the rare nature of this book and it's really nice condition added to to the Monroe mention of the label, should negate the "Canadian edition" aspect and push the price up to a comparable US equivalent and perhaps even set a new record for it's grade. Fingers crossed. Cheers, Maurice

I don't think there's any getting around the Canadian edition aspect. People that want the book know the American counterpart and would pay more for the American version. That said, they'd pay a lot for either one and you might get lucky with a couple completists going after a version neither one has...

A quick census search shows 10 graded copies (1 of which is restored) and ZERO Canadian variants. Although, Canadian numbering is sometimes different and I don't see a number on the cover. Can you post a picture of the indicia?

That book in high grade is good money. A press and grade might bump you up a little over a 6.0 which would make a big difference. Then there are always Marilyn collectors... 

A little unfortunately, the indica for this one states Teen-Age Diary Secrets #5, even though it is the reprint of the #6.  As such it will show up on the census under #5, Canadian copy.

But at the end of the day - everyone who sees it knows it for what it is, regardless of the label.