• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay seller kellyssuperheroes?
11 11

1,105 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

He graded it 9.4 and disclosed that the book is restored. 

"Slight color-touch, slightly trimmed."

I think the same is true for the rest of the images posted above and probably many of the books listed. "Color touch and trimming" (or just color touch).

yeah but the potential new buyer could then flip the 9.4 into a 9.9 !!

22 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

yeah but the potential new buyer could then flip the 9.4 into a 9.9 !!

That would be up to the next owner to honestly disclose it, or dishonestly withhold that info. I don't make any secret of it that I'm against trimming. IMO, it's not restoration, it's mutilation. But whether or not if the book is at one of the two extremes, something like this that has finely micro cut edges, or like All_things_Comics hacked to pieces 1/2 inch trims, if it's disclosed, it's not dishonest. If it's not disclosed, it is dishonest. 

Edited by James J Johnson

What drives me crazy is Danny is obviously buying some pretty nice books to start with.  Then he's manipulating them. 

In effect he's taking hundreds or even thousands of blue label books out of the hobby forever. 

Not a fan of DD at all. 

Edited by KCOComics

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I heard Kelly's is pretty bad

Dang

BUY SLABS!

yep... buy CGC graded slabs only for high grades and keys ..

nobody in the coin marketplace buys ungraded keys or high grade coins as there is way too much risk involved

55 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

What drives me crazy is Danny is obviously buying some pretty nice books to start with.  Then he's manipulating them. 

In effect he's taking hundreds or even thousands of blue label books out of the hobby forever. 

Not a fan of DD at all. 

He makes millions. :gossip:

I'm approaching 45 years of active collecting, and to be honest at times I likely would still have trouble spotting a 1/32" trim -- even if I had the book in hand.  I feel genuinely sorry for younger collectors in particular, as the older these comics get they tend to pass through multiple owners' hands, increasing the likelihood of no disclosure.  (And trimming is among the worst offenses as it's irreversible damage.)

Buying raw on ebay or elsewhere, it helps not only to work with a reputable seller, but to look for comics in his/her listings of the same era and with the same condition characteristics that suggest they originated from the same oo's collection.  So the online buyer of raw books has definite risk, but with some common sense that comes from experience, it can be very satisfactory.  (I do agree with the coin analogy, highest-end needs certification.)

Edited by EC Star&Bar

11 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:
12 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Not a fan of DD at all. 

He makes millions. 

Yep. He's been doing it since the 1980s.

MickeyDupcak's - Over a Billion Served! (try the pancakes!)

I haven’t read the entire thread so maybe this has been said. But looks like seller buys graded books, 9.2 - 9.6, cracks them, takes photographs rather than scans so they can’t be compared to graded books, and lists them for what he/she paid or a little above and is hoping people desire to gamble will sell them. Not a terrible idea, I think people really enjoy sending books in and receiving quality grades. 

That should be 'restored quality grades.' Dupcak is the worst thing that has happened in this industry by far. not everybody got full refunds. I know collectors who sold many high grade books from their collections in order to buy better books from Dupcak who then had to return them to him because of the undisclosed restoration so ended up with neither. This deceitful, dishonest, cunning crook will try every trick in the book to get you to part with your money because thats what this low life scumbag has been doing most of his life. His ex-wife once came on a thread and said Dupcak has not done an honest days work in his life and i totally believe her. It was a bit sad to see in this thread that the real Richard Koo's has actually passed away, i wonder if he knew what dupcak was up to? I dont think i have ever said this about anyone before but had Dupcak passed away instead i would have said GOOD RIDDANCE.