• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay seller kellyssuperheroes?
11 11

1,105 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, comicgrinder said:

Definitely Robojo. same style format , pics, ect ect. Danny builds up his feedback with 99 cent auction winners buys a few books from himself on the expensive ones. and waits

i knew it the second i saw the pics it was him

100% agree.  As someone who (sadly) ONCE (and luckily once only) bought from Robojo (advertised 9.8, really a 9.2), the pics are the dead giveaway that Robojo and kellysuperheroes are one and the same.  Same angle.  Same inability to zoom.  

Oh, and same overgrading.  The "9.8" Star Wars #1 I'm looking at has at least five discolored corners between front and back, and one glaring front cover spine stress.  No one should ever buy from this individual.

7 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Oops!  Didn't see the post above mine. 

Probably doing a test run on a few low profile books to see how it goes before venturing into his 9.6/9.8 early silver keys. I wonder how many of these he sells nowadays and if people know they are getting over-graded and/or restored books.

2 minutes ago, LordRahl said:
12 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Oops!  Didn't see the post above mine. 

Probably doing a test run on a few low profile books to see how it goes before venturing into his 9.6/9.8 early silver keys. I wonder how many of these he sells nowadays and if people know they are getting over-graded and/or restored books.

I think you are right.

1.thumb.jpg.e61d43eca3b20c97c1f02a6566781116.jpg

Oh yeah. Pulling out ALL of the old tricks. Not the first time he's been caught forging fake sigs. 

Fraud conviction. By the mid-1990s, Dupcak had partnered with Glen Beram in Wall of Fame, a sportscard store in Levittown, N.Y., that came to national attention in one of the earliest busts for fake memorabilia.

Karen Lutz, a special investigator in the Nassau County, N.Y., District Attorney’s Office, headed a forgery investigation that found that Dupcak and Beram had sold more than $33,000 in bogus autographed goods between March and October of 1994. Lutz received sample signatures from Mickey Mantle, Frank Robinson, Ted Williams, and Carl Yastrzemski, in making the case.

Two days before trial, in March 1997, Beram pleaded guilty to two counts of petty larceny and was sentenced to 150 hours of community service and three years’ probation. Dupcak, whom Newsday reported was also known as “Carlos Seneca,” pleaded guilty to scheming to defraud and was sentenced to 90 days in jail and five years’ probation.

Dupcak and Beram were further ordered by Nassau County Court Judge Jack Mackston to pay $33,010 in restitution to the 53 victims identified by District Attorney Denis Dillon.

Law enforcement officials auctioned the authentic portion of Wall of Fame’s inventory on Jan. 21, 1998. Detective William Mack of the Nassau County Police Department’s asset forfeiture unit told The New York Times then that comic books were among the top sellers, with an Amazing Fantasy #15 selling for $2,000 and an Incredible Hulk #1 selling for $1,400. The auction raised more than $75,000, more than covering customers’ losses; Assistant District Attorney Robert Nigro, chief of the unit, said that Mantle himself contributed autographed baseball cards for more than two dozen children stung in the forgery scheme.

According to a criminal records search service, on Dec. 20, 2002, Dupcak plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge in Nassau County unrelated to collectibles sales. He was sentenced to serve three years of probation.

Edited by october

On 1/31/2020 at 2:37 PM, mattn792 said:

Massapequa is in Nassau County.  Maybe they’d be interested in their local recidivist?

Forgive me for the necro but this thread, along with some enthralling Dupcak stories I found on Google, has been highly entertaining.  (Also, if any thread deserves to be kept alive it's this one.)  I found this thread initially as I was actually considering buying something from kellyssuperheroes but even as a neophyte, I could tell that something was very off, so I searched his name along with CGC and sure enough you fine folks already cracked the case.  What I really enjoy is that he doesn't even change his MO.  The things people were saying in 2013 and earlier are just as true today.  Stick with what works, I guess.  I almost respect it.

I went to law school with a current Nassau ADA, but I just don't see how there's anything to be done.  We all know what he's doing, but if eBay doesn't care, and if he refunds everyone who complains and otherwise conforms with his stated policies, it's just the perfect scam.  Grading and even the presence of restoration is so subjective and easily explained away, you're just never going to prove anything.  If anyone has ideas, I'm all ears, but I'm pretty sure he'll just keep on keeping on as long as it's even mildly profitable.  Ball's in eBay's court.

Edited by Poekaymon

8 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

but if eBay doesn't care

It's amazing what ebay cares or doesn't care about in its current form (a shell of its once great self from its youth). But, that's a story for another time and a different thread/forum.

I am amazed about the 100% positive feedback that sellers like Kellys generates. In the beginning, I was wondering if it was setting up multiple bogus ebay accounts and generating a fictitious buy/sell environment, but a look at feedback shows different feedback with high feedback scores in the hundreds/thousands for the hidden buyers. There are some common buyers with high scores, who buy quantity from the seller, but others look to be unique. I assume it would be hard to game the system by setting up multiple accounts and generate high feedback scores for bogus buyers, but I wouldn't put anything pass the one who is involved! Like mentioned, the return policy probably gets legit buyers from posting negative/neutral feedback, but 100%? I guess $$$ talks...or should I say "silences"!

Has anyone ever bought anything from this seller, even as a test, to see how the process plays out? (return sellers address, return policy, communications, etc.)

Edited by DanCooper

42 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Has anyone ever bought anything from this seller, even as a test, to see how the process plays out? (return sellers address, return policy, communications, etc.)

I am tempted as I am nearby but it would have to be if he runs another one of those 99¢ auctions that fail to generate any money.   We would have to meet up.

Edited by Buzzetta

His auction results surprise me because apparently there are a LOT of people spending big money on raw comics on eBay without a clue how to spot restoration or overgrading. It's not like he's good at it. It's not like it's not glaringly obvious. His "restoration" includes trimming hackjobs that leave zero overhang on SA Marvels, slathered on color touch with bleed through, etc. Even a cursory education in resto detection and grading would result in A) immediate laughter and B) immediate returns. 

Like most scammers, he thrives on ignorance and trust. Who knows how many newbies he's burned and turned off of the hobby. What a total scumbag.

I bought a nice raw ASM 129 from him about 3 years ago. This book is probably a 9.0. Auction stated unrestored and white pages. I got the book and it wasn't close to white pages. He definitely did something with the lighting, or maybe inserted a picture of a different book in the listing. Regardless, he gave me a partial refund that seemed appropriate. Didnt look like there was any color touch and I am terrible at detecting trimming, so I was content keeping the book as is.  After reading everything in these posts recently, I'll probably add this to my next CGC sub, just to see if the book was truly unrestored. In the end, I'm keeping the book regardless, but at least it will be another data point for all of us. I'll post in the PGM forum and keep everyone up to date.