• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2013 May 16 - 17 Vintage Comics & Comic Art Signature Auction

348 posts in this topic

I agree completely and think the owner and heritage are crazy. You are now dealing with a smaller pool of who can afford them and limiting the bidding activity to the possibility of one bidding war as opposed to 3.

Interesting decision to keep these three together:

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7076&lotIdNo=115001

Thoughts?

thought it was a terrible idea, the overall proceeds would be higher if they were separate auctions.

Malvin

My guess is that the seller wants to keep them together, sometimes ideals trump money.

Just looked through the latest update for the auction and there's just too much awesome stuff hitting the market. I see probably a dozen lots that I'd be interested in if they had been spread out over time, but, since they're hitting all at once, I'll probably end up focusing on 3 or 4 of them and hope to win 1 or 2. :wishluck:

I am so with you on this, I don't know why the auction house wouldn't hold some back for the next auction....not only am I going to pass on some that I'd normally go for it dilutes the market and seems to me to be a bit counter intuitive. On a positive note i have no doubt there will be some nice deals that sneak through.

It makes you wonder what may be on it's way in the next auction. hm

Just looked through the latest update for the auction and there's just too much awesome stuff hitting the market. I see probably a dozen lots that I'd be interested in if they had been spread out over time, but, since they're hitting all at once, I'll probably end up focusing on 3 or 4 of them and hope to win 1 or 2. :wishluck:

I am so with you on this, I don't know why the auction house wouldn't hold some back for the next auction....not only am I going to pass on some that I'd normally go for it dilutes the market and seems to me to be a bit counter intuitive. On a positive note i have no doubt there will be some nice deals that sneak through.

Might not be the auction house's call. If some big consignors are saying they want to sell now, because they're trying to get out while the gettin's good, Heritage isn't going to say no.

This is a little off subject from the thread, but....

I once needed to sell an (contemporary non comic) artwork I had in my collection and I called Sotheby's. I was told that they would love to have the piece but that I would most likely make more money for myself if I went through one of her dealers and do a secondary market sale. There was more the conversation but the fact is they ADVISED me and I probably won't forget that next time I decide to sell something. Anyway I ended up making about 25% more than what Sotheby's had previously sold her work for even after the dealer took his 20% cut. I haven't experienced that so far with anyone auctioning OCA hat I've talked to.

Honestly, this auction is just making me depressed. So many things I would like to go for, but I can't possibly go after every piece I am interested in. I am going to have ot treat this auction like a sports draft. Have a list of what I want to go for with a ceiling price as well as a running total of money spent and money required to go for those pieces... all while "watching the board to see what goes and therefore be able to guesstimate what similar pieces may go for later in the auction... I'm getting stressed just thinking about it. This is going to require way more math than I am comfortable doing.

Okay so I am tracking 147 lots. Cutting away the pieces I want, but don't think I even have a shot at (ie. The Dark Knight pages) I'm down to 15 lots that are a good combination of desire and that I can realistically win... I'm going to see if I can bring that down to 10... and then, like Gene (though on a much smaller level) see if I can win one or two.

I think I am falling in love with Bill Everett. And I will never afford one of his pages it looks like. MAYBE one in a few years. MAYBE. That Strange Tales page is really fine to my eye.