• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2013 May 16 - 17 Vintage Comics & Comic Art Signature Auction

348 posts in this topic

30 grand? I don't get it.

Remember, some scammer put up a scan of this page on eBay earlier this year and it got bid up to around $27K. While there's no way to tell for sure whether all the bids were genuine, the general consensus is that people thought it was a real auction and bid accordingly - the high price is what probably led the real owner to consign the page to the Heritage sale.

Remember, some scammer put up a scan of this page on eBay earlier this year and it got bid up to around $27K. While there's no way to tell for sure whether all the bids were genuine, the general consensus is that people thought it was a real auction and bid accordingly - the high price is what probably led the real owner to consign the page to the Heritage sale.

That was a scam? I had no idea. If anyone knows the story behind this, I'd love to hear it.

As I recall, the fake sold for 21.7k back in Feb. I assume the genuine article should hammer in at around that level.

As I recall, the fake sold for 21.7k back in Feb. I assume the genuine article should hammer in at around that level.

Whoops, my bad! $21.7K then. Although, pages on Heritage sometimes have the tendency to go a bit :screwy: so a higher result wouldn't surprise me...

Interesting. I'm new to the OA game but have tried to restrict my purchases to know dealers and sources. This kind of stuff must be rampant as it would be very easy to copy art work if someone wanted to take the time and effort to do it.

I don't get why people would pay thousands for adam hughes to draw boobs, but to each their own...

Man has appreciated drawings of women and their assets since the artwork was being drawn on cave walls. lol

Noob question. When an auction item is described as "matted to an overall size of xxx," does this mean that the art is actually attached to the matting? Of course, I would contact Heritage to verify what it means exactly, but thought someone here might know. Thanks.

Noob question. When an auction item is described as "matted to an overall size of xxx," does this mean that the art is actually attached to the matting? Of course, I would contact Heritage to verify what it means exactly, but thought someone here might know. Thanks.

I would just email them, or call. Their descriptions are occasionally wrong. That way you get exactly what you expected if you win.

You should contact them if you aren't sure but that description means the total size of the piece including the mat. The art probably is attached but if done by a decent framer it is attached with archival materials and easily reversible without damaging the art.

The size of the opening in the mat would be the sight size. Unless you can see the edges of the artwork inside the opening the artwork could be any size from the sight size to the overall mat size.

This auction feels like it's been going on forever, and there's still another 8 1/2 days to go until the live auction. :facepalm:

Let's get on with it already!! :frustrated:

This auction feels like it's been going on forever, and there's still another 8 1/2 days to go until the live auction. :facepalm:

1f0q9.jpg

But Gene, some of us need the time to re-mortgage the house, open another Line of Credit, and borrow funds from relatives.

Its to the point where I honestly never pay attention. I just tune out entirely for two months and then before the auction the forum chatter starts to pick up and thats my alarm clock.

But Gene, some of us need the time to re-mortgage the house, open another Line of Credit, and borrow funds from relatives.

+1 on that, meaning one aspect of the time as a positive.

Reserves are up for the few lots that have them - on my watchlist, I see the three-page X-Men #100 sequence ($50K), the Kaluta Spa Fon cover ($10K), the Wrightson Werewolf pencil drawing ($9K) and the Bob Kane Batman strips ($2K each).

Can't wait to see where some of this stuff in the auction ends up selling. Generally speaking, prices are still various shades of low on most lots, so it's hard to tell how high (or low) a lot of material will go. A few lots look close to fully priced to me, but these are the exceptions.

Let's get it on already! :frustrated::sumo:

Reserves are up for the few lots that have them - on my watchlist, I see the three-page X-Men #100 sequence ($50K), the Kaluta Spa Fon cover ($10K), the Wrightson Werewolf pencil drawing ($9K) and the Bob Kane Batman strips ($2K each).

Can't wait to see where some of this stuff in the auction ends up selling. Generally speaking, prices are still various shades of low on most lots, so it's hard to tell how high (or low) a lot of material will go. A few lots look close to fully priced to me, but these are the exceptions.

Let's get it on already! :frustrated::sumo:

Not much movement over the weekend...The Ross villains piece and Kirby X-Men 1 page spiked.

Some folks must really love Namor, cause the Sal Buscema & Marie Severin cover prices are already up there!

The internet bids prior to the auction start are generally non-indicators to what the final price would be, right? I'd imagine anyone who is serious in buying a piece isn't bidding 'til it goes live, right? The only stuff I'd speculate people bid on with a serious intent to submit their best offer is on pieces that are in the lower price ranges in the event there's a lack of interest amongst the population of collectors and that bidder could do the "set it and forget it" on their bids.

During the live auction, there's in-person bidding, internet bidding and phone bidding, so I'd speculate anything that's currently at an extremely low price will have, at minimum, art dealers scooping up items for their inventory to hold and resell.

I will admit 'tho, in looking at completed auctions, I've seen prices for more modern pieces sell for far less than what I'd thought and with 20/20 hindsight I'd probably have participated in some of those auctions in hopes of getting some of those more somewhat lackluster pieces while everyone else goes for their grails.

When there are multiple pieces I am very interested in, I sometimes bid aggressively on a piece I suspect may be out of my range. If I am outbid in the internet bidding, I know that I am not a serious contender. In this way, I am not mentally committing $xxxx to an item that I may get blown out of the water on anyway.

If I am interested in only one or two items, I don't get serious until the final session.

The internet bids prior to the auction start are generally non-indicators to what the final price would be, right?

I was bidding on a cover a few auctions ago. The piece ended at about $100, then the internet bidding started. Piece ended somewhere around 4K

Sometimes auctions are won by an internet bid placed prior to auction start, and sometimes they're not.

I like the fact that for Heritage, when you bid online it factors in the BP (Buyers Premium), which if you factor in sales tax, shipping and the premium it's about 30% more than your bid... so every time you bid $300, you're paying $400... a $3,000 bid is a $4,000 cost... I wonder if anyone bidding keeps that in mind, or get caught up into the frenzy only to have buyers remorse of potentially over bidding over the "all in" they wanted to pay for a piece.

I like the fact that for Heritage, when you bid online it factors in the BP (Buyers Premium), which if you factor in sales tax, shipping and the premium it's about 30% more than your bid... so every time you bid $300, you're paying $400... a $3,000 bid is a $4,000 cost... I wonder if anyone bidding keeps that in mind, or get caught up into the frenzy only to have buyers remorse of potentially over bidding over the "all in" they wanted to pay for a piece.

My only regrets involve a failure to go one more increment...