• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis Comics

199 posts in this topic

Thanks Vinatge,

I took the plunge and ordered

Amazing Spider-Man #121 8.5 (raw) for $216

Amazing Spider-Man #122 7.5 (raw) for $117

Next time Desertwind offers a Romita Sr signing I was thinking of submitting both for CGC SS. Both prices are lower than I've seen on Ebay, and other comic websites.

I typically only like to buy already graded books but I thought both were fair prices even if they are overgraded by a grade. So we'll see. Thanks again for all the input.

I highly recommend them! I've bought plenty of raw books and never had a problem returning a book if I wasn't happy with it! Metropolis is the biggest dealer and nobody even comes close! Frank is a great guy to deal with! EJR (thumbs u

Vincent Zurzolo is a stand up guy. They will honor your commitments.Highly recommend to do business with these gentlemen.

This. Never dealt with Fishler.

:gossip: Don't expect much from the Make Offer option.

bought a Marvel Mystery #6 from them, I had called before and asked them how sure they were about the book and was told the book had been greatly looked over and to not worry at all...got the book ,sub it to CGC express tier which came back a lower grade and trimmed, when I contact them about it I was told i could get a refund for only the book not grading fee's ( even tho they wanted it return slabbed) and i had to cover shipping back to them.. so all and all i lost 170 on the deal...but the best part is they relisted the book on their site again without noting its been trimmed..WILL not buy from them or comicconnect again.

:popcorn:

Waiting on rebuttal ...

No problems here. All my dealings with Metropolis have been with Frank. They pretty good about offering time payments also. As for grading of Raw books, I know the dance. Not my first rodeo so to speak and I know what to expect there (shrug) I trust Metropolis and Comicana real well. But everyone's experiences will vary...

I heard Metro grinds up babies and uses the the blood to color touch comics with red covers.

If you want the best , go to Mile High Comics. The best grading and service you can get.

Just wanted to see if anyone has ever dealt with Metropoliscomics.com before I complete an order with them.

They have some pretty reasonable priced ungraded comics on their site. Does anyone have a history with them that can tell me how accurate their grading on raw books is?

Thanks

[font:Times New Roman]Frank's great to deal with, so is Vincent. Both are stand-up guys in my experience.

Here are a few examples of raw comics I've purchased from Metro and the CGC grades:

Purchased as a raw 9.0 (just back from CGC):

68d94b14-0e39-444a-896a-66a3d36470e0_zps1bd92268.jpg

Purchased as a raw 7.0 several years ago:

95ffa3e6-3871-4ad1-b23c-516857a202bd_zps1ecd2bf5.jpg

Purchased as a raw 9.0 (no pedigree mentioned; just back from CGC):

5af87d0c-dea4-4440-a71d-d09f27b43611_zps1faab32d.jpg

Alas, all grading is subjective.

Obviously Metro doesn't get it dead-on every time, but I'll gladly cut 'em some slack.[/font] (thumbs u

I heard Metro grinds up babies and uses the the blood to color touch comics with red covers.

If you want the best , go to Mile High Comics. The best grading and service you can get.

lol

[font:Times New Roman]And free rub-on native American bear tattoos with every purchase![/font] (thumbs u

I'll bet everyone has dealt with Metro at one time or another. It's hard to be a comic collector over any amount of time and not have dealt with them. Frank is a good guy.

I must be one of the lucky ones. Been collecting since 1975, have 12,000 comics, and have never purchased from Metro :acclaim:

Unless they have a sale going on I've found the majority of their books are insanely over priced.

Unless they have a sale going on I've found the majority of their books are insanely over priced.

Really, I never noticed.

Don't look at my signature though........

I've dealt with them a few times with no problems and once with a problem that I chalked up to North vs South cultural differences in language.

I was looking at a high end book and called to see if we could work on the price at all. It's been awhile, so I may not have the specifics straight I think the bottom line was $500 more than I actually had. I said, "I'll see what I can do" which they took as "I'll take it" and emailed an invoice the next morning. I called to let them know that I hadn't agreed to the purchase and got a talk about cold feet, which was never the case. I just didn't have the money and what I said was what I meant, I'll see if I can come up with a way, not to hold it and I'll send the money.

No harm, no foul. Just a difference in what was intended and what was heard.

I would deal with them again in a second!

Well this thread gives me more confidence. If I ever go to New York, I'm going to buy something from them just so I can look around haha.

I was just talking to my local "guy" about them and he said they usually add a grade to stuff in his opinion, but still really liked them.

Now just need to find something worth buying on there.

I bought from Metropolis a lot in the mid to late '90s, pre-CGC obviously. I never had a book that came back from CGC higher than they had graded it; about half came in at the same grade, half below, and a handful of those well below. A Flash 110 sold as VF/NM came back as a 7.5, but that can be attributable to CGC being way harder (and insanely so) on tiny back cover stains than the market was pre-CGC. In general, I just assumed every book I got from them would be overgraded by at least one grade, maybe two.

I haven't bought from them in over a decade because I find their prices on slabbed books so "aggressive" (that's the polite term, right?) that they're not even a starting point for a negotiation. I guess their business model now is "Hoping to find rich businessman who wants this book and doesn't care what he pays." But I've gotten a few nice prices selling through them, and it sure is fun to look through their selection.

I recently made a small test purchase with them. Picked up X-Men 136 that they grade at 9.6+. They were very easy to deal with. My only complaint is that I purchased the book on 2/25 and it still hasn't shipped. I'll update when I finally receive the book.

......I like 'em. Awesome selection and the first place I look if I'm in search for a tough book. They have a detailed set of their own grading standards on their site......click on it and select the description that best suits your requiremnt and then pursue the grade that is next to it. Remember, they have a brick and mortar in NYNY and cannot sell books to a person that can immediately be marked up by 100%.....they are a retail outlet. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. The only book I ever returned to them ended up being slabbed at a higher grade than what they called it :boo:

Well this thread gives me more confidence. If I ever go to New York, I'm going to buy something from them just so I can look around haha.

I was just talking to my local "guy" about them and he said they usually add a grade to stuff in his opinion, but still really liked them.

Now just need to find something worth buying on there.

Whether you end up buying something or not a visit to their offices is well worth the trip. My personal favorite is the original art for Marvel Team Up # 1 but they have lots of other cool artwork on most or all of the walls.