• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas show November....any good?

17 posts in this topic

I'm interested in going to the Dallas show that's taking place on the 5th November to the 7th. Is it good for buying - i.e. are there many dealers? Also, how many West Coast or East Coast dealers attend?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The show in November is Wizard World Texas. Last years show was pretty good considering Dallas has been in a comic drought for about 10 years.

Last year there were probably 3500 people (I would guess) and a lot of decent dealers. The down side was mostly on the dealer's side. Most of the people who attended were not there to spend big bucks. Everyone wanted to see Perez, Lee, Kevin Smith and Quesada. By the end of the show dealers were willing to throw a beat-down on your worst enemy if that would make the sale.

Hopefully this year will bring back some of the bigger dealers and maybe some new ones. That might just attract some folks who want to spend some money.

Last year there were probably 3500 people (I would guess)

Actually, Wizard quoted closer to 10G were in attendance, and personally, I wouldn't mind going to a con that's less populated considering all the other Wizards have been 20G+.

Thanks Stronguy and mitol. I've tried accessing their site to see which dealers are setting up (I know blazing bob isn't going, as it says so on his website). This is fairly crucial as far as I'm concerned, although if I went I'd be staying an extra couple of days to check out Dallas (it'd be my first visit to Texas).

Last year there were probably 3500 people (I would guess)

Actually, Wizard quoted closer to 10G were in attendance, and personally, I wouldn't mind going to a con that's less populated considering all the other Wizards have been 20G+.

They say 10,000 but that's total bull. I was there all day every day. 4,000 tops is my guess.

Thanks Stronguy and mitol. I've tried accessing their site to see which dealers are setting up (I know blazing bob isn't going, as it says so on his website). This is fairly crucial as far as I'm concerned, although if I went I'd be staying an extra couple of days to check out Dallas (it'd be my first visit to Texas).

Dallas in early November is really nice. Most of the rest of the world calls it summer. We call it autunm.

Dallas is not exactly textbook Texas. Leave yourself some time to go over to Fort Worth. Real cowboys live in Fort Worth.

Dallas in early November is really nice. Most of the rest of the world calls it summer. We call it autunm.

Dallas is not exactly textbook Texas. Leave yourself some time to go over to Fort Worth. Real cowboys live in Fort Worth.

I assume Fort Worth is next to Dallas on the map, and that November in Dallas is similar to Orlando in terms of weather (I went to the Megacon last year).

Anyway, if you get any idea as to which dealers are going, lmk!!!

I assume Fort Worth is next to Dallas on the map, and that November in Dallas is similar to Orlando in terms of weather (I went to the Megacon last year).

Anyway, if you get any idea as to which dealers are going, lmk!!!

Yeah, Ft. Worth is right next door. You actually never leave the city. The weather is nothing like Orlando. It will probably be in the high 50's at night and a/b 68-72 in the day.

I'll start asking around to see who's coming. Let you know.

I'm thinking of attending Novembers Dallas show and wanted to know what to expect? I mean this will be my first comic convetion for me and wanted to know whats all envolved in it. I'm guessing its like a gaint comic sale with some of the artist / writters signing comics but wanted to double check. Now when these guys sign your comic do you get a COA to go with it or do they already have them sign etc for people to stop and buy one? Also does anyone know what else you get besides the Wizard Wolverine #20 when you buy your tickets online? I'm guesing you get this stuff at the door once you check in ?

Thanks.

Ray

I'm thinking of attending Novembers Dallas show and wanted to know what to expect? I mean this will be my first comic convetion for me and wanted to know whats all envolved in it.

Get a schedule and plan who you want to see. Once you get there find out when folks will be signing. Get to that booth early if they are a big name (2 hours + for Jim Lee last year). Wear comfortable shoes.

I'm guessing its like a gaint comic sale with some of the artist / writters signing comics but wanted to double check.

Yep -- lots of comics and comic stuff.

Now when these guys sign your comic do you get a COA to go with it or do they already have them sign etc for people to stop and buy one?

It's BYOBooks. No COA unless you want to make one in PhotoShop. smile.gif

Also does anyone know what else you get besides the Wizard Wolverine #20 when you buy your tickets online? I'm guesing you get this stuff at the door once you check in ?

When you get your ticket they will hand you a bag full of stuff -- lots of promo stuff. Usually nothing in it worth a darn.

Hope to see you there.

Hey thanks.

Well if I don't get a COA for my signed comic I think I'll skip the signning deal. I went through a whole deal on signed stuff back when I was in Base ball cards and how people wouldn't believe you etc. Anyways I'll probly go just to see if I can get a good deal on some key issues I need. Heck our local comic dealer is going to have a both there so I could atleast show up for support for him or maybe catch a Rangers game thumbsup2.gif

PS. I'm in Dallas a lot as a matter fact I'll be there in a week or two. I usualy drop in Titans Comic shop when I'm in town. Its off of NW HWY/Lemon basicaly if ya never been there. You never know with how big DFW area is 27_laughing.gif

The only time I get something signed is if it's for me -- never for resale.

Titan is my LCS. I'm up there every two weeks or so -- usually on Saturdays. Shoot me a PM if you know when you're coming and we can meet.

Titan's a good shop with a great backstock. I got quite a few HTF books from them in the year I lived in Euless and stop back there every time I'm in DFW. Their prices, shall we say, demonstrate the pride they have in their stock, but they can be flexible if you don't insist on going strictly by a price guide. But the guy who owns it, can't recall his name, is a great comic guy who knows his stuff.

I'm eager to go to this show as it's the first large comics show I'll have been to in many years. My LCS guy (Austin Books) is going, so that'll be nice to at least have someone friendly to consult.

I'm guessing its like a gaint comic sale with some of the artist / writters signing comics but wanted to double check.

At most comic book conventions the rooms are divided into sections... separate but adjacent areas where you can find different things. At your standard Wizard show you have:

1. The Corporate Area - where the comic book, toy and card companies have booths set up. They will often preview new product of have special products available for sale. Some of the comic companies arrange to have their creative people (artists/writers) available to sign for fans. In most cases you must bring your own comics to sign.

2. The Dealer Area - where dealers and stores set up tables to sell their merchandise. You will usually find CGC in the dealer area.

3. Artists' Alley - where local artists and other guests that don't have a table in the corporate area set up and sell their own independant comics, original art, etc.

4. Sci-fi signing area - a space where tv and movie actors from sci-fi and tv shows sign autographs and have pictures taken. They usually charge for an autograph and/or signed photo.

5. Gaming area - where people can play card games and/or videogames.

Now when these guys sign your comic do you get a COA to go with it or do they already have them sign etc for people to stop and buy one?

Well if I don't get a COA for my signed comic I think I'll skip the signning deal. I went through a whole deal on signed stuff back when I was in Base ball cards and how people wouldn't believe you etc.

Dynamic Forces sells books that have already been signed with a COA. No one else offers a COA as you get it signed, unless you ask the artist to do one, or print one up for yourself, but most COAs with an open comic leave room for doubt as to authenticity.

However, CGC did set up the Signature Series label because their really isn't any way to certify signatures on comic books without reasonable doubt as to the authenticity of the signature on the comic itself.

In order to qualify for Signature Series the comic must be signed in the presence of a CGC representative and the books are sent directly to CGC for encapsulation at the show itself.

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.asp?IDArticle=42

If you are interested in getting more information on Signature Series and whether or not this is something you might be interested in you could always contact CGC for more information, or you can contact Peter Dixon of Paradise Comics at paradisecomics@wiznet.ca or 416-487-9807. Peter will be at Wizard World Dallas.

If you would rather wait, drop by the CGC booth in Dallas (at the show) and talk to someone about it there.