• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spiderman's 2nd, 3rd, & 4th appearances???

16 posts in this topic

or who has the dish on Spidey's 2nd ish???

Okay...for my 2nd journal, I pose a question that I've wondered about for quite some time (this may be common comic knowledge but it has escaped me for whatever reason if it is).

What issue is Spiderman's 2nd appearance? What about his 3rd appearance? His 4th?

Here's the crux of the problem: On ASM 1 (the CGC registered copies, anyway) there is no indication of it being Spiderman's 2nd appearance. It only states that the origin of Spidey is retold. (Book was published in March of 1963)

On ASM 2 (the main ish I'm particularly curious about), one would assume it's Spidey's 3rd appearance. However, once again no indication of if it's Spiderman's 3rd appearance. (Book was published in May of 1963)

BUT...on the Fantastic Four Annual 1 (published in 1963) it states on the CGC label 'early Spider-Man appearance' which hints that it's either the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or possibly 5th appearance.

So I want to know ... when are Spidey's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th appearances?

Is there a supreme Spidey fan out there that can solve this mystery for me??? I've attempted some brief internet searches and have come up with nothing...anyone who can answer this will receive my sincere thanks!!!

Excelsior!

13195.jpg

See more journals by Sensei Ryan

It is exactly as you say.

AF15-1st appearance and origin

Amazing 1- 2nd appearance

Amazing 2- 3rd appearance

Amazing 3- 4th appearance

Amazing 4- 5th appearance

Strange Tales Annual 2 is an early appearance. Check the dates to see where it falls.

You guys rock! - I recently purchased an ASM 2 (trying to complete a mid-grade range run of ASM 1-10 plus AF15...more of a long-term project as Spidey was my favorite character growing up) and I was hoping ASM 2 was his 3rd appearance. I only need a handful (sadly, an expensive handful) to complete my list:

AF15

ASM1

ASM4

ASM5

Thank you so much for helping me answer this question - it makes me happy to know that I'm closer to getting the 1st Spidey appearance!

Side note: Don't you just love those early Spidey covers??? I am in awe of how iconic each one is...especially the ones that introduce his villains.

My personal favorite is ASM 3 - the 1st Doctor Octopus appearance!

135314.jpg.17218f9bb47f9dcd94713d4283e45fa1.jpg

Ditko is an amazing (pun intended) artist! Sure, he's definately "old school", but the contortions of Spidey while fighting and Peter Parker's facial expressions are legendary. What's even better is you can buy these books bound together in Marvel Masterworks editions. I was graced by one of my favorite birthday presents a couple years back when my brother gave me the first 4 volumes.Volume one features reprints of Amazing Fantasy #15 and Amazing Spider-Man #1 through #10. Plus has a great intro. by Stan the Man and commentary at the end re. how Spidey came about, early sketches, etc. Vol. 2 has ASM #11-19 plus Annual #1. Vol. 3 has ASM #20-30 plus annual #2. Vol. 4 has ASM #31-40. #39-40 are the first Romita pencils and Esposito's first inks and is interesting to see the transition. Anyway, you can get these for $25 ea. (new) WAY cheaper than the originals!!! There are 11 volumes in all. So cool to be able to read these classic tales w/o spending the money or harming any originals. Highly recommend.

I also love #3's cover. Here's my #3 signed by Stan Lee at ECCC...will never forget...my only Stan Lee SS that he signed with me as witness. Go Web-heads!!!

135315.jpg.a9e186cd380243ba527a77243b2b601a.jpg

You guys rock! - I recently purchased an ASM 2 (trying to complete a mid-grade range run of ASM 1-10 plus AF15...more of a long-term project as Spidey was my favorite character growing up) and I was hoping ASM 2 was his 3rd appearance. I only need a handful (sadly, an expensive handful) to complete my list:

AF15

ASM1

ASM4

ASM5

Thank you so much for helping me answer this question - it makes me happy to know that I'm closer to getting the 1st Spidey appearance!

I feel your pain on the expensive handful of books!! I need 33 more FF's and they're all under issue 55!! And unfortunately, I'm a snob about condition so I'm looking for higher grades! Some days I hate me!! lol

Anyway, here's the run down on the Spidey appearances:

1st appearance: AF 15 (of course) On sale 6/5/62 (cover date Aug 62)

2nd appearance: ASM 1 On sale 12/10/62 (cover date Mar 63)

3rd appearance: ASM 2 On sale 2/12/63 (cover date May 63)

4th appearance: ASM 3 On sale 4/9/63 (cover date Jul 63)

5th appearance: ASM 4 On sale 6/11/63 (cover date Sep 63)

6th appearance: Strange Tales Annual 2 On sale 6/11/1963 (cover date 1963)

7th appearance: FF Annual 1 On sale 7/2/1963 (cover date 1963)

http://dcindexes.com/timemachine/gallery.php?site=marvel&year=1963&month=9&order=alpha&type=cover&checklist=off

Check out the link above. Great site!!

Side note: Don't you just love those early Spidey covers??? I am in awe of how iconic each one is...especially the ones that introduce his villains.

My personal favorite is ASM 3 - the 1st Doctor Octopus appearance!

There are some great modern artists and covers but for me the early SA Spideys had simple but great covers. I've always been fond of ASM 4, Sandman baby.

Thank you for the info - good luck on acquiring your FF collection at the grades you are looking for!!!

AF15

ASM1

ASM4

ASM5

I feel your pain on the expensive handful of books!! I need 33 more FF's and they're all under issue 55!! And unfortunately, I'm a snob about condition so I'm looking for higher grades! Some days I hate me!! lol

Anyway, here's the run down on the Spidey appearances:

1st appearance: AF 15 (of course) On sale 6/5/62 (cover date Aug 62)

2nd appearance: ASM 1 On sale 12/10/62 (cover date Mar 63)

3rd appearance: ASM 2 On sale 2/12/63 (cover date May 63)

4th appearance: ASM 3 On sale 4/9/63 (cover date Jul 63)

5th appearance: ASM 4 On sale 6/11/63 (cover date Sep 63)

6th appearance: Strange Tales Annual 2 On sale 6/11/1963 (cover date 1963)

7th appearance: FF Annual 1 On sale 7/2/1963 (cover date 1963)

http://dcindexes.com/timemachine/gallery.php?site=marvel&year=1963&month=9&order=alpha&type=cover&checklist=off

Check out the link above. Great site!!

Ditko is an amazing (pun intended) artist! Sure, he's definately "old school", but the contortions of Spidey while fighting and Peter Parker's facial expressions are legendary. What's even better is you can buy these books bound together in Marvel Masterworks editions. I was graced by one of my favorite birthday presents a couple years back when my brother gave me the first 4 volumes.Volume one features reprints of Amazing Fantasy #15 and Amazing Spider-Man #1 through #10. Plus has a great intro. by Stan the Man and commentary at the end re. how Spidey came about, early sketches, etc. Vol. 2 has ASM #11-19 plus Annual #1. Vol. 3 has ASM #20-30 plus annual #2. Vol. 4 has ASM #31-40. #39-40 are the first Romita pencils and Esposito's first inks and is interesting to see the transition. Anyway, you can get these for $25 ea. (new) WAY cheaper than the originals!!! There are 11 volumes in all. So cool to be able to read these classic tales w/o spending the money or harming any originals. Highly recommend.

I also love #3's cover. Here's my #3 signed by Stan Lee at ECCC...will never forget...my only Stan Lee SS that he signed with me as witness. Go Web-heads!!!

This is an awesome story - I'm glad you were able to get Stan to sign it in person for you! Gorgeous Sig Series copy!

Anyone have any thoughts as to why ASM1 CGC labels don't recognize the issue as Spiderman's 2nd appearance?

I know on some - like Daredevil 2 - this is indicated. I am curious as to why this isn't mentioned on ASM1.

This inquiring mind wants to know :)

It is my understanding that the FF Annual #1 story is simply a retelling of the events from ASM #1 (namely the meeting of Spidey and the FF) from the FF's POV, and thus not really a new story. I get that that is technically an appearance, but it wouldn't be a unique story like the others mentioned.

It is my understanding that the FF Annual #1 story is simply a retelling of the events from ASM #1 (namely the meeting of Spidey and the FF) from the FF's POV, and thus not really a new story. I get that that is technically an appearance, but it wouldn't be a unique story like the others mentioned.

This makes sense - I've never read the actual FF issue but would love to do so now to see it from a different perspective.

I'm still curious as the omission of Spidey's 2nd appearance notation on ASM #1 labels. If anyone has any idea as to why please feel free to chime in :)