• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!"

26 posts in this topic

Dear Bill1,

I tip my hat to you for your kind support and professionalism.

I owe you one.

If you are ever visiting NYC... i would like to repay your act of kindness.

SW3D

Hey Steven,

Yes... that is an awesome suggestion. I could live with a Universal Blue Label as well that denotes pressing.

And you are 100 percent right... it would be nice to know how significant an impact pressing has on grades. I honestly do not know if an 9.0 can jump to a 9.6 but i just got back a 9.0 comic with a noticeable corner bend... probably the only visible defect i can see. i imagine pressing would press it out. I can see that going up to at least a 9.4. And that would make a significant change in its fair market value.

But i honestly don't want to spend extra money pressing. i'm happy with the grade. It's a newsstand comic... it went through some wear and tear. That is just natural. 9.0 is an excellent grade for a comic i bought back in 1983. Don't you agree?

I greatly appreciate your feedback.

SW3D

+1.5

If you got the word "writer" in your handle, you should consider words more effective than colors.

To Screenwriter3d,

My opinions on Pressing and the ensuing debate on the matter, From a newer collecters point of view, Disclaimer examples of insults are meant to funny and not taken personally, seeing as Pressing is a collecters political issue, I respect both view points and am not here to belittle anyone who presses comics for a living. That being said please read on

1. Purist, Will shake their fist of Defiance toward anyone whom presses a book to obtain a higher grade for personal satisfaction or higher profit!!! Examples of possible Purist insults ( Cheater, Resto Freak, Foul Nave & Scurvy Dog and puesdo-collecter)

2. Pressing Supporters, Will be giddy like school children over their high grade books, while shaking their fist of defiance at the Purist, examples of Supporter insults( Dark age collecter, Comic Thumper, Dinosaur, Unenlightened one, Stiff neck collecter.

3. A poor Slub like myself accepts that in my collecting time I will unintentionally buy pressed books and Im ok with that wholeheartly.

4. Pressing to me in all likely-hood will become as common as slabbing.

5. The question you must ask yourself and decide upon for yourself is this " if something is called cheating, but no higher authority that you personally accept makes a conclusive judgement does that make it ok, examples "Stick em" and Forearm tackles in Football.

6. As for me personally, I can't help but see pressing as an example of Restoration and this will accept Universal Labled books with a pressing note on the slab.

7. Thank you for reading I hope you enjoyed my post and have a blessed day

I still don't necessarily agree that its restoration. But, I'm with you on the disclosure. The universal label with pressed would be perfect. 1 problem though. I can submit my book for pressing and just have them send it back to me then send off for grading and cgc would never know. Kind of a big loophole some people would use. My opinion is that I don't care if its pressed and wouldn't do that. But I'm sure many would.