• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Adventures 12. Harley!
3 3

1,579 posts in this topic

...Batman Family #6 (1st Joker's Daughter) and wonder if that book will follow BA#12 in terms of market demand/increase.

My personal (admittedly worthless) opinion is no. The Cult of Harley has been growing steadily since she first appeared on BTAS, and now has an entire generation of fans only making her hotter. As far as DC's mainstream visibility, she is arguably the third or fourth most recognizable and/or popular female character in their stable (I'd suppose Wonder Woman is technically still the top, with Catwoman, Harley and Supergirl mixing it up behind her). The character has been cultivated through a previous solo series, a recent team book, and now another solo series coming up, plus appearances in video games and merchandising out the yin yang. I know I said this in another thread at some point, but it really seems like DC has been working the "Gotham Girls" characters, trying to turn them into their own twisted version of the Disney Princesses. She stands alongside Venom and Deadpool as one of the very, very few characters from the last 20 years that actually stuck. I really do feel like the sky is the limit with her.

Joker's Daughter has obviously been around quite a bit longer, but has largely been out of the public eye until this recent New 52 reboot. The combination of the Joker + sexy lady mixed with the 3D cover hype has made the character a sensation overnight, and I don't doubt that those books will make a jump, and perhaps even stick there for awhile. But I think she has a long way to go before she is as omnipresent, and therefore as hot on the marketplace, as Harley.

Again, just my two cents! They are still really cool books!

This looks like a GPA record for 9.8 SS (even without knowing the final price):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-Adventures-12-CGC-9-8-SS-Bruce-Timm-1st-app-of-Harley-Quinn-1-of-4-SS-/261297063619?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3cd684c6c3

The book is on fire...

It sold for $700. Prices on this book are definitely crazy right now.

Check out this on-going ebay auction for a 9.8 CGC (Blue). Just amazing. The auction just started (at $250) and has 14 bids and is over $500 already with 6d+ to go!! Boy is the book RED hot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-Adventures-12-CGC-9-8-WHITE-Pages-1st-Harley-Quinn-1993-DC-id-9766-/360756052847?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item53febc836f

Sitting at $570 now with 2 days left.

This rise in this book has been pretty amazing. I bought my MT copy a little over a year ago for $25 and I thought I paid too much at the time :). I think the recent Arkham video games helped bring her character more into the mainstream. Some of my gaming buddies never heard of her until they played the games. I think she is her to stay. I don't know if the current values will hold, but unlike most recent rapid rises in first appearances this one is not due to a movie.

I don't know if the current values will hold, but unlike most recent rapid rises in first appearances this one is not due to a movie.
I think a movie is inevitable. As Harley becomes a more lifelike image in the comics, it will certainly be easier to cast for the role. Downey Jr became Iron Man as he was born to be Stark. I think Harley will be an easy role to fill and if done well. BA12 gets launched into the stratosphere.

I don't know if the current values will hold, but unlike most recent rapid rises in first appearances this one is not due to a movie.
I think a movie is inevitable. As Harley becomes a more lifelike image in the comics, it will certainly be easier to cast for the role. Downey Jr became Iron Man as he was born to be Stark. I think Harley will be an easy role to fill and if done well. BA12 gets launched into the stratosphere.

Agreed. She'd be great on the big screen if she was done right. If someone played her as well as Heath Ledger played the Joker, we'd be in for a treat.

The current age of super-hero-cinema hasn't had enough strong female characters, hero or villain. I'm positive that will change in the near future.

Only 2 graded copies and one is a GLOD! Where did all the graded copies go? Into personal collections or investment hoards???

Probably. BA 12 has a lot of potential for growth. If I had a 9.8 I'd be holding it for a while. And not just because of the growth potential - it's just a very cool book to have in 9.8.

Even the Collected edition is hot, wow!! I love bidding wars lol. Copies available at BIN for $25 yet people bid with this one almost double other available BIN auctions.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/300983752290?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I don't like to use it but, in this case, I'm going to make an exception:

:facepalm:

Check out this on-going ebay auction for a 9.8 CGC (Blue). Just amazing. The auction just started (at $250) and has 14 bids and is over $500 already with 6d+ to go!! Boy is the book RED hot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-Adventures-12-CGC-9-8-WHITE-Pages-1st-Harley-Quinn-1993-DC-id-9766-/360756052847?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item53febc836f

Auction is up to $635, with 9 hours left, this is exciting!

Trek38.jpg

Makes no sense lol, just hit the BIN on another auction for $13-25 listing. Guy running the auction must be loving it lol

Even the Collected edition is hot, wow!! I love bidding wars lol. Copies available at BIN for $25 yet people bid with this one almost double other available BIN auctions.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/300983752290?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I don't like to use it but, in this case, I'm going to make an exception:

:facepalm:

Edited by kidcolt

Auction is up to $635, with 9 hours left, this is exciting!

Trek38.jpg

I'm even a little taken by this, but even so, you'd think they would be coming out of the woodwork. I dont see it, even with this sale. I dont think the price will look all that high either looking back in a few months,year, next week :D

I'm interested to see how much the number of 9.8's on the census goes up in the next few months. If it does make a huge jump quickly it would be a good bet the price on the book is going to increase a lot.

Census now for the record is:

Batman Adventures CGC Universal

10.0 zero copies

9.9 zero copies

9.8 98 copies

9.6 84 copies

9.4 47 copies

9.2 23 copies

9.0 13 copies

8.5 7 copies

8.0 3 copies

From what raws Ive seen on ebay, the chances of 9.8s increasing is going to be slim. I would expect to see a rise in submissions though and you will see the lesser grades rise. Currently NM98 has 1,081 and WD1 has 519 cgc 9.8 universals in comparison at this time. Also keep in mind that there was also a direct release (bar code) version (not noted by CGC) but is certainly much harder to find in high grade and as time marches onward and this book develops into a modern mega key, the bar coded copies of this issue will rise above the other.