• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

...does anyone on this board buy new books and KEEP them?

33 posts in this topic

I buy and read Green Lantern, Transformers & ThunderCats. These are my Favorite 3 comics.

I also read & collect.

Uncanny X-men

New X-Men

Ultimate X-Men

X-Treme X-men

Wolverine

Amazing Spider-Man

Peter Parker Spider-Man

Ultimate Spider-Man

Spawn

G.I Joe

Batman Legends of the Dark Knight

Battle of the Planets

I am also anticipating Robotech from D.C. I just hope they finished the deal.

If anybody here hasnt noticed, Amazing Spider Man Volume two number 18-29 are VERY tough. Go look up number 19 (venom appearance) on eBay. I've sold a few as high as $30 a couple months ago. They seem to have settled in the $20 range for now. Numbers 27-29 are the hardest to find in my experience.

there are some SHOCKINGLY hard to find books that have come out. Aside from the ASM's already mention, when was the last time you saw a wolverine 146, Thor #17 (vs. juggy), Hulk #25, peter parker with the "kiss" cover, etc. laying around. Some DC's too like birds of prey #8. If people keep reading & buying new books, look out, its going to be SICK in 10-15 years! Its the 1st time since comic stores started that you could not just walk in and get back issues from a year or 3 ago.

Im cheered by your rosy prediction for all the crappy comics I pile up each month!! But the books you list would only be wanted by completists...will there be that many around? Do you actually foresee collectors filling in their 90s runs at $30++ a pop??

honestly i do. Yes there are far less people doing that these days, but there are also far less copies being printed. Lets take thor, i'd guess the print run was 30,000 on #17 (Someone with the CBG book could help?) The issue has crossover interest because of Juggernaut, i don't think it has been collected into a trade, nor will it be. Most of the sales on thor are in the collections of thor collectors. Extras are not ordered, thats it. You now have to wait for a thor collector to dump books for one to enter the market. The casual yard sale find isn't going to turn up late 90's comics anymore, kids are not buying them. I do believe there are enough people out there still collecting comics to make certain back issues solid sellers. As soon as a book appeals to collectors outside the core audience, it will dissapear from a dealers stock. Similarly a book like hulk was floundering, romita did a kick asss job in #24 & 25, then a few issues later jones & romita come in and starts the sales climb to probably close to double what it was and now there are twice as many people who would want those earlier ones. Granted all this depends on people continuing with the collection of current comics, but i am tight with several retailers and ALL see increases in readership nearly monthly. ALl of them would love to be able to turn these books up because the demand is there.

well, if the market for these books will be as robust as you say, I guess that the prices will break off enough copies from collections to satisfy the seekers. $30 a book is a good return.

I agree that current books just arent around in excess quantities like before...I just dont know if its a linear equation thta leads directly to greater demand going forward. AND now, just when Ive begun paring down the number of books Ive been buying solely out of inertia each week, now youre saying I should be buying darn near EVERYTHING that comes out ???

you cant win.

thats what I do pretty much. Pick up stuff that look sinteresting enough to have been overlooked by most. Plus what I enjoy. But there are the momentum titles that I keep buying for too long aftre they lose any appeal for me except as a completist.

I get good discounts everywhere i shop.

I bag em ten at a time in golden age bags. They make nice solid bricks that are easy to handle and store. I used to single bag and board new comics...they look really cool, all lined up and shiny....but they take up too much room, get too heavy, and the bags stick to each other after a while.... Also, its fun years down the road to open up these ten-packs and see each issue again after a long time. They stay in nice shape too. At least as nice as you managed to buy them off the damm stands, flecked and ripped as usual 90% of the time!!

I dunno..to each his own, right?

Every new comic I buy gets bagged, boarded and put away. Doesn't matter to me if they are going to worth money 10-15 years down the road. If so, it's a bonus.

I like comics. I like reading comics. And I like the fact that if I need to go back and pull out an issue, I can (which I do quite often). It's as simple as that......

Jim

I have not bought new books for a long time, but recently added Batman to my file due to the Hush storyline and DCs new approach to rotating story arcs (should be interesting at the least). I pick up the odd issue off of the stands if it catches my eye, but I can get most new books at half cover or less through a small dealer in town a couple of months after they are issued. All books get bagged and boarded, and I try to pick up 2 copies of each, one to read and another unread copy to keep or flip if the price goes up (hopefully enough to cover the cost of purchasing both issues wink.gif)

Heck, yeah. Not only that, but even my new ones get mylar'ed. I buy a double-run of Daredevil, Batman and USM, and singles of ASM, Alias, UXM, 100Bullets, and whatever else interests me.

Lately I've even been buying a few extras to give-away to friends and get them hooked. Mack's art has bowled over a few artists I know: "I didn't know comics had this kind of work in them!"