• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Extra Staples

15 posts in this topic

Heyo. Question for you restoration expert type people. My copy of Avengers #2 has extra staples that someone added after the fact. Now, if these were replacement staples, I would expect this would be considered resto. However, the book still has it's original staples, it's just that there's a whole extra set added in addition to them - there are like 5 staples in the book.

Would this be considered restoration and get a green label? Or just be considered a crazy defect and get a lower blue label grade?

If I had the extra staples removed, am I right in thinking it would get a blue label?

Thanks for the help.

Has anyone ever seen extra staples as a "bindery defect". I bought a TTA 27 and when I opened it to the centerfold there were 4 staples on the spine. The weird thing is only two of the staples were holding the cover on. It's like in the bindery process, before the cover was on, the stapler stapled the coverless comic, then the cover was laid on and then the stapler came down again.

Has anyone else seen something like this?

I would swear it all looks like original stapling and not something a collector did later.

Edited by gadzukes

Has anyone ever seen extra staples as a "bindery defect". I bought a TTA 27 and when I opened it to the centerfold there were 4 staples on the spine. The weird thing is only two of the staples were holding the cover on. It's like in the bindery process, before the cover was on, the stapler stapled the coverless comic, then the cover was laid on and then the stapler came down again.

I would swear it all looks like original stapling and not something a collector did later.

Yeah. That happened sometimes. I think I read an explanation on here one time about books with covers missing or somehow ripped off due to malfunctions in the printing process being given new covers, resulting in two sets of staples. I have a supergirl 1 like that, and in addition, the inside of the comic is flipped- they put the cover on the wrong way. It's a really cool book, shame that all the staples are rusty

I cracked a recently bought (blue label) Journey Into Mystery #84 out of the case and noticed the same thing. Only one set of staples holding the cover on but another set running through the entire book. In my case however, it doesn't really look like it was done in production. Am I to assume that anyone can just add another set of staples to a book to get the cover on and have it come back unrestored without notation? Pretty bummed out about it as it's the last JIM Thor issue I needed to complete my collection. :o

I cracked a recently bought (blue label) Journey Into Mystery #84 out of the case and noticed the same thing. Only one set of staples holding the cover on but another set running through the entire book. In my case however, it doesn't really look like it was done in production. Am I to assume that anyone can just add another set of staples to a book to get the cover on and have it come back unrestored without notation? Pretty bummed out about it as it's the last JIM Thor issue I needed to complete my collection. :o

Normally extra staples get a notation on the label. Strange that it didn't for your copy.

Normally extra staples get a notation on the label. Strange that it didn't for your copy.

This was pretty common for SA Thors/Jims, and often the extra staples look different, as they were likely added at the end of the run to make up for a short stack. (See DiceX comments, historically.) Non-production staples are fairly easy to differentiate from production staples however, both in type of material and location.

I recently got a Forever People #3 and it had this issue. 1 pair of staples through the book, and a second set through the book and the cover. All look original with 0 damage. It definitely has me a bit confused.