• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show off your 1st OA you ever bought
1 1

109 posts in this topic

This was the 1st OA I ever bought...got me back into comics!

Purchased this at a very local comic show near where I live: Jason Metcalf DD/Batman

CCF12092012_00000.jpg

Here's the colored print that he sells:

bampd.jpg

Edited by John91C

My first page is not on my CAF for some reason, but here is my first sketch ever - Paul Ryan Reed Richards. Reed's arm goes onto the back of the comic board and re-appears on the front. I remember seeing the line and thinking "Paul Ryan is doing free sketches? Why wouldn't I get one?". Ah, the innocence of youth. It was like crack, those darn dealers give it away at first and then you get hooked.

(Sorry if this was not the purpose of the thread.)

ryan.jpg

Here is mine. I got this in an e-Bay auction for a set of Spider-Man #1's signed by McFarlane. This was listed more as an after thought. It is page 2 from the 80's Marvel Try-Out Book that Mark Bagley won to become a Marvel Artist.

JRJRTryOut.JPG

Not the best pic but the first I cam across on Photobucket. This was a standout moment for me as Andrea is my favorite character in TWD. I cheered out loud when I flipped to this page. I came across Splash Page art and that was that. You can view a better pic in my CAF gallery.

photo WalkingDead44OA.jpg

My first OA purchase was Superman by Curt Swan.

My grandmother passed away when I was 11 (45 years ago) and left a trust fund for her five children. Over the years, two of the kids were bought out at their request and the other three decided to dissolve the trust and distribute it since the balance was small and the costs were high. My dad had passed away by then so his 1/3 passed to his four kids - so I got 1/12 of the trust. or $1500.

Not much in the OA game, but for me it was a sizable, un-budgeted windfall. My wife and I decided that I could splurge with it.

Somehow, I found the Heritage OA auction site and on it were two pieces of art that I really liked - a Sugar and Spike one-page story and my Superman.

Not knowing much about pricing and auctions. I bid on both pieces.

As I watched the auctions, it seemed to me that I'd have no real chance on the Swan, but I might have enough for the S&S. So, though I was really sad to do it, I gave up on the Superman and bet the wad on the S&S piece.

Well, when the auction was over, I saw that I'd lost the S&S piece and was really bummed. I'd bid piddling amounts on a few others and as I scrolled down my lost list something weird happened. The Superman piece was green - HA said I'd won with $15 to spare. I really and truly couldn't believe it until they invoiced me a few days later. I was thrilled.

Be sure to read the description to learn more of the piece's history. It's interesting. (Click on the picture.)

SupermanBySwan.jpg

BTW, years later, I got my one page S&Ss story and it has paper dolls, too! Be sure to read the description. I've learned a lot about the piece. (Click on the picture.)

SugarAndSpikeByMayer(smaller,%20restored).jpg

Transformers #75 Page 33 featuring Unicron!

I bought this nearly 13 years ago. I went to a Transformers convention with the intention of spending all the cash I brought on toys, and was doing a pretty good job of that. During the show, one of the convention organizers got on the PA system and announced that they had some orignal comic artwork they were selling on behalf of Geoff Senior. I was a huge fan of the Marvel Transformers comics, so I headed straight for the table, not knowing what to expect. I was second in line, and ended up getting the page you see in that link. I would buy maybe five pages over the next five years, then in 2005, I became a full-blown collector of comic art.

Oh, how I wish I had more money with me and bought up all that I could as it would take 11 years for just four of the many pages offered to resurface.

Edited by LordZarak

I don't own the first page I ever owned anymore. It was a Herb Trimpe half splash from Shogun Warriors. I paid $25 for it. I think I sold it for $200. I do however, still own the second page I ever bought.

AnimalMan7pg20.jpg

Purchased directly from Doug Hazlewood. From one of my favorite indivdual comic issues ever and was so happy to get it... even more so now as pages from that run are getting very hard to find.

Edited by Dumur

First OA I ever bought was Al Feldstein's complete 8-page story art for '7 Year Old Genius (EC's Weird Fantasy # 7), back in September 15,1982, from Russ Cochran's # 11 Comic Art Auction:

auction1c.jpg

Paid the (then) pricely sum of $484.00 for the art.

I no longer own the story art (traded it to Mike Burkey years ago)!

While checking the comics section of eBay circa 1996 I would occasionally see OA listed. One day I saw PREACHER 3 page 16 listed. I ended up sniping it on a Sunday evening, shortly after 9pm :cloud9: .

At the time a "mint" copy of the book was running $30-$40. I knew I got a bargain when I got the page for $130.

It will be one of the last pages to leave my collection :sumo:

136056.jpg.ac5de95de2c41f02214152b9c84eb6c7.jpg

I got my first piece in 1998 by mail after a few phone calls back and forth to The Spider's Web out in Puyallup, WA. This was the store mentioned in the back of an early issue of Spider-Man that was co-owned by Todd McFarlane and handled all his original art.

There was no scan or photo available back then. You had to wait for the guy at the shop to get the pile of art in front of him and look through it! And since I didn't have these issues with me in college, I had to go to the mall where the comic shop luckily had a trade paperback.

But keep in mind you didn't have cell phones, so I had to run back and forth between the comic shop and the pay phone to call the store for descriptions since all the page numbers were different. It's a lot easier today!!

Anyways, here's my first. I didn't get another piece for almost 2 years.

mcfarlane=hulk.jpg