• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice league Dark "Dark Universe" UPDATE

183 posts in this topic

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK Movie Loses Director Doug Liman; IT Helmer Andy Muschietti Possibly Being Eyed

Variety is reporting that Doug Liman has decided to leave Warner Bros.' upcoming DC Films installment, Justice League Dark (a.k.a. Dark Universe). 

The news certainly comes as a shock when you take into account that Liman very recently teased the film's fresh take on John Constantine, but according to the report, his departure can be attributed to scheduling conflicts as he is already on board to direct Lionsgate's Chaos Walking, which recently received the greenlight, this summer. The young adult thriller has popular up-and-comers Tom Holland (Spider-Man: Homecoming) and Daisy Ridley (Star Wars: The Last Jedi) attached to star.

As for a potential replacement, The Hollywood Reporter adds that the studio has already begun reaching out to several directors, including IT helmer Andy Muschietti, who is reportedly at the top of their shortlist.

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK Said To Be Eyeing Argentinean Director Damián Szifron To Replace Doug Liman

151436.jpg

On the latest episode of Meet The Movie Press, Jeff Sneider revealed that Argentinian filmmaker Damián Szifron is also in the mix. Szifron is relatively unknown Stateside, though he is still attached to helm Universal's stalled Six Billion Dollar Man movie, and he brought us the brilliant Argentine black comedy anthology film, Wild Tales.

We don't know if any negotiations have taken place yet or if Szifron is just someone the studio has an eye on, but we'll update if we find out more. WB definitely seems determined to get Justice league Dark up and running ASAP, so we can probably expect some kind of official announcement over the next coupe of weeks. 

Why Doug Liman Left Justice League Dark

Nearly three months after director Doug Liman walked away from Warner Bros.’ Justice League Dark, we now have a better idea why.

“You know, I develop more movies than I make,” Liman, whose films include The Bourne Identity and Edge of Tomorrow, told CinemaBlend. “There’s a weed-out process, and it’s just that when you get to the comic book one, suddenly everybody hears about them. So, the -script never got to a place that was special enough for me. Not for lack of trying."

Without a -script he was comfortable with, Liman decided to move on to Lionsgate’s Chaos Walking, based on author Patrick Ness’ series of young-adult sci-fi novels. Justice League Dark isn’t the first comic book adaptation Liman has left: He was previously attached to Fox’s Gambit, but exited because of dissatisfaction with the -script.

If his heart wasn't into the movie, better Doug Liman moved on to something else.

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK Update

xRoFWjp.png

Justin Kroll of Variety recently tweeted that the supernatural superhero team-up film will be undergoing another rewrite after the production failed to secure a director.

Behind-the-scenes updates for Justice League Dark have been coming at a rapid pace lately. After del Toro exited the project, it wasn’t long before Liman's name was attached. While discussing the release of his latest movie The Wall, Liman said he was excited to tackle the project before leaving just two weeks later.

Kroll’s tweet seems to indicate that Warner Bros. was working furiously to get another director to helm Justice League Dark but ultimately realized the current -script was not working to anybody’s favor.

No word on who is rewriting the -script, but given the new development of an Elseworlds line of DC Comics-based movies, don’t be surprised if Justice League Dark becomes its own beast in the ever-developing line of superhero movies from Warner Bros.

‘Justice League Dark’ Gets -script Polish From Gerard Johnstone

Gerard Johnstone has been tapped to polish the -script to Warner Bros.’ “Justice League Dark” movie, sources tell Variety.

Johnstone was one of the handful of directors in the running to helm the film and while the studio has decided to hold off on naming a director, execs were interested enough in Johnstone’s presentation to allow him to do a pass on the screenplay.

Johnstone’s biggest credit to date is “Housebound,” which earned strong reviews in 2014 and caught the eye of Peter Jackson, who has championed Johnstone since the film’s release.

On 8/24/2017 at 5:51 AM, Bosco685 said:

Wow.

That -script must have been _horrible_ if multiple directors opted out.

Haven't seen "Housebound" but hiring a nearly-unknown indie film writer doesn't inspire confidence.

Then again, it worked well for FF after Chronicle :)

Personally, I'd just go to any screenwriter of a Blumhouse production -- like, pick up a solid horror alum from the Insidious or Sinister franchise...

What could have been.

'Justice League Dark' Movie Concept Art Revealed

Justin Fields, founder and executive creative director at Ironklad Studios, has shared concept art from Warner Bros.' pending Justice League Dark.

"In 2015 Ironklad Studios was involved in a pitch with Director Joesph Kahn on his pitch for Dark Universe with a -script by Guillermo Del Toro," reads the description shared to ArtStation. "The project was eventually scrapped, and later turned into an animated feature with a completely different -script."

The concept art depicts the supernatural Swamp Thing, Floronic Man, Deadman, and Game of Thrones star Natalie Dormer as Zatanna, Doctor Strange star Chiwetel Ejiofor as Jason Blood, and Legion star Dan Stevens as John Constantine.

Del Toro, originally attached to helm the paranormal take on the Justice League, said Etrigan the Demon and Swamp Thing would have played roles in his proposed iteration of the project, which remains in limbo.

hIRxtT3.pngTyCMAsJ.pngrkOtn7b.pngxNHTkon.pngAw87bR0.png6iYzcXD.png

Interesting casting choices. I wish they could get Del Toro back to the table.

Doug Liman Would Still Be Open to Directing 'Justice League Dark'

Liman departed Justice League Dark to work on another project. Things have changed at DC Films since then and Liman tells Screen Rant he wouldn't say no to trying again.

"I would be open to it," Liman says. "I have a very kind of contrarian approach to how I make things and I don’t want to do them the way other people have done them. You know, Impulse is an original take on superpower as you can imagine and still be satisfying. Because obviously there’s some things – you can be original and artsy and not… Part of the reason cliches exist is because they’re satisfying to the audience so my challenge as a filmmaker has always been to do something that’s really original and still totally satisfying on a big commercial level, which I feel we’ve done with Impulse and I’d be really interested in doing that within the DC world if the right piece of material comes along."

Based on that, it sounds like Liman would entertain other DC Films movie offers as well.

Warner Bros. is still working on the Justice League Dark movie. Warner Bros. has struggled to find a good fit to direct since Liman departed. The film's logo appeared during a presentation at Comic Con Experience Brazil.

I was watching 'Edge of Tomorrow' just last night when flipping channels. I got sucked right in to watching that movie all over again. Powerful stuff!

EX MACHINA Director And DREDD Writer Alex Garland Is Interested In Helming A SWAMP-THING Movie

Swamp-_Things-from-_DC-_Comics.jpg

Alex Garland is best known for writing DREDD as well as directing Ex Machina and the upcoming Annihilation starring Natalie Portman. During a recent Reddit Q&A, the filmmaker was asked about which comic book property he would be interested in turning his attention to and he name-dropped a very unexpected character. Who? Well, as we mentioned above, he'd like to work with Swamp-Thing.

Bear in mind that Warner Bros. is hard at work on finally trying to make Justice League Dark a reality, a movie which has lost a number of directors and would obviously feature Swamp-Thing in a lead role.

If the studio has any sense, they would look at hiring Garland to take charge of this project because he would be a great fit for this particular DC Comics adaptation and could even work on the -script to bring it to where it needs to be.

:wishluck:

On 12/17/2017 at 7:33 AM, Bosco685 said:

What could have been.

'Justice League Dark' Movie Concept Art Revealed

hIRxtT3.pngTyCMAsJ.pngrkOtn7b.pngxNHTkon.pngAw87bR0.png6iYzcXD.png

Interesting casting choices. I wish they could get Del Toro back to the table.

Now this looked wicked cool! Instant respect.

Dam-mit DC why didn't you go with Del Toro's vision of Justice League?

You know the guy that got nominated for a boatload of Oscars for Shape of Water?

:frustrated:

23 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Now this looked wicked cool! Instant respect.

Dam-mit DC why didn't you go with Del Toro's vision of Justice League?

You know the guy that got nominated for a boatload of Oscars for Shape of Water?

:frustrated:

That was the WB vision before Del Toro signed on to write the -script. I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet this is dead.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

That was the WB vision before Del Toro signed on to write the ---script. I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet this is dead.

If this happened this would turn around the whole franchise. This is what DC is looking for.

I hope it gets resurrected.

:wishluck:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur