• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coupon Help Needed

11 posts in this topic

Sending in some oldies but goodies.... But which ones?

The close of my first year and the beginning of a new one. This has been a great year for me with CGC. I've learned more in this one year and gained appreciation for comics more than I think I truly did at any other point in my life.

I have been able to connect with so many like minded individuals and met some truly amazing people on here such as Tnerb, SW3D, Surfer99, Grandmaster, Ronnylama and the list goes on. These individuals mixed with many additional Newcomers have truly inspired me and taught me so much about this Society... Hobby just seems to undermine the way I feel about all of this.

Over the past year I have been able to find my niche with the focus on my one Set of Avengers vs X-Men and even picked up what was my first key NYX #3 which was the origin of a character that reminded me so much of my daughter.

So now that I have my coupons on the way comes the decision to figure out what to send. Do I send in more Modern's or do I jump back and send a few Silvers? Or do I take the Tnerb route and send in comics with sentimental value rather than what my kids could profit from once I pass down my collection.

So after a ton of time thinking this one through I've come down to I think my top ten and figure why not ask.

In no particular order:

Avenger Annual #7 (Thanos Appearance)

Daredevil #111 1st Silver Surfer

Dr Strange #182 (Juggernaut Appearance)

Fantastic Four #65 1st Ronan

Fantastic Four #66 1st Him (Warlock)

Incredible Hulk # 177 Warlock vs Hulk

Sub-Mariner #34 (Pre-Defenders)

Thor #166 Thor vs Him (Warlock)

X-Men #102 Juggernaut vs Colossus Cover

X-Men #103 The new group of X-Men vs Black Tom and Juggernaut.

Not really going off of grades for this group but more off of preference. Realistically one may grade as low as 6 but another has a great shot at 9.6 or better... even has that new comic smell.

So what do you think?

See more journals by kaholo1256

Hey Kman,

I hope you're doing well and thanks for the mention... right back at ya!

In my opinion, I would use the coupons for the most valuable books of the bunch or the one's which will cost the most to grade. Don't use them for moderns.

Now looking at your impressive list, my choices would be in the following order by Fair Market Value (depending on condition):

FF 66 (Origin of Him)

Avengers Annual 7 (Thanos, Warlock, Captain Marvel)

FF 65 (1st Ronan the Accuser)

X-Men 102 (Origin of Storm)

X-Men 103 (1st time Wolverine is called Logan)

Thor 166 (2nd Full Appearance of Him)

Sub-Mariner (Hulk and Silver Surfer Appearance)

Doctor Strange 182 (Juggernaut Appearance)

Incredible Hulk 177 ("Death" of Warlock)

Daredevil 111 (1st Appearance of the Silver Samurai)

I hope this helps.

SW3D

Good luck choosing - I tend to use my submissions for groups of books that 'go together' for me:

Giving your selections - and that I like Warlock, I even have an FF66 slabbed among all my DC books...I would do the following:

FF 66

Avengers Ann 7

Thor 166

Hulk 177

They should all look beautiful together on the wall or the shelf.

Lee K

Oh, and whatever you send in - good luck on your grades & Happy Hunting!

I'm going to flow Lee K and give you four. I'm also going to pretend I have these same books.

I would send in DD 111, I'm a huge fan

Dr. strange #182...great cover

Sub-Mariber 34, somehow with #38 being a book from my past I would add this and...

New Mutants #15...oops

Avengers Annual #7.

Hope it helps, however if you send in what you love you won't regret it

Man, you cannot go wrong with any of these really, and everyone has given great advice so far. I would say stick to the higher grades (so don't send in the 6.0 but DO send in in the 9.4-9.6...which one is that by the way?).

Assuming all books are of equal grade, I would go this route...

FF 66

Dr Strange 182

Sub-Mariner 34

X-men 102

Good luck!

Ps If your Dr Strange 182 is high grade, holds no significant meaning for you, and is just taking up space, I'm happy to take it off your hands. :grin:

I second surfers list. But also would stick with what oldest and most likely to be highest graded. I'd only send moderns with the coupon(which I did and 1 silver) if thats all you have. The others have to go on the higher tiers and cost more, so might as well save a buck if you're doing them all eventually.

Wow, I really appreciate the help.

I guess based off of this I'll go with

Avengers Annual #7 (It's the one that made the list's the most and has an amazing cover)

Fantastic Four 66 (Same as Avengers but also is above the Economy max price on Comicpriceguide.com if it comes in 9.4...a guy can dream)

Doctor Strange 182 (It's got the Juggernaut and honestly is the high of the list.)

Daredevil 111 (Mainly due to The Wolverine movie coming out but I do have a Wolverine #2 graded with him in it, and a New Mutants # 5 with a line on a 9.8 #6 New Mutants. I think getting his key's is becoming my next goal set.)

I guess with the list I gave there really wasn't any issue that I didn't want to send in. With Tnerb's statement "however if you send in what you love you won't regret it " the fact that I am sending any comic in right now never feels like a regret. Might even say screw it and send all 10 in with 6 being graded on me and 4 being graded on the house.

SW3D - Taking your advice was what really got FF 66 on here. While yes it is of an amazing character with the first Him (Warlock) and is a character I truly do enjoy to read about but its overall possible value is what brought this one up, and the idea that if I did turn this one in it would be under the Standard submission rather than the Economy.

Lee K - I have to say I will probably start sending in more like this so as to be able to plus up my Sets a little. But its the covers of a single character that really show well at our house and in the Man Cave.

Tnerb - After reading everything you have posted about this one issue I am going to have to go out and find my very own NM 15. On a side note I am sadden to say that the NM Annual 4 did finally get shipped as a 9.4. I guess I read it one time to many as a kid.

Surfer99 - I'll keep that in mind, although it being a fan of the Juggernaut does cause this one to pull at the heart strings a little.

Over all like I said earlier, the big thing I guess I'm kind of walking away with right now....I just might have to submit them all.

K