• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ORIGINS of the American Comic Book

424 posts in this topic

Can't wait to give this a good reading...

BLB has been cast into the outer darkness but I did find a lot of the stuff he posted in this thread to be interesting.

Of course, there were other threads ....

Link to the thread that "cast" Bob out? I've wondered where he was.

I'm pretty sure the mods poofed it.

What was the crime? Brief summary is fine.

summary: tread lightly in the pulps section of his ebay store.

Maybe the strangest thing about that imbroglio is that, as I remember, it actually was resolved.

I'd describe it more as an intervention fraught with complications.

The last thing I remember reading from Bob was a simple Happy Thanksgiving message:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7211165Post7211165

I believe it may have been a response to this thread, but I'm not positive:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7206638&fpart=1

On 1/28/2020 at 7:27 PM, Electricmastro said:

Were these really some of the most famous comic features of the day back when comic books began being regularly published?

0.jpg

Sadly, I assume that most of the people that were involved with putting these books together are no longer around to answer these types of questions for us. :frown:

It definitely would have been interesting to hear from people like Harry Wildenberg who is often credited as the father of the modern day comic book since he was the Sales Manager at Eastern Color at the time who came up with the concept and format for Funnies on Parade:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funnies_on_Parade

This was also documented for several years in the late 80's and early 90's in the Overstreet Guide in the form of an article entitled "A Chronology of the Development of the American Comic Book".  (thumbsu

On 2/3/2020 at 3:46 PM, lou_fine said:

Sadly, I assume that most of the people that were involved with putting these books together are no longer around to answer these types of questions for us. :frown:

It definitely would have been interesting to hear from people like Harry Wildenberg who is often credited as the father of the modern day comic book since he was the Sales Manager at Eastern Color at the time who came up with the concept and format for Funnies on Parade:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funnies_on_Parade

This was also documented for several years in the late 80's and early 90's in the Overstreet Guide in the form of an article entitled "A Chronology of the Development of the American Comic Book".  (thumbsu

Well, if we can factor in number of appearances to determine what’s more popular than what, then these were apparently some of the most frequently appearing features in Famous Funnies:

Napoleon
Oaky Doaks
Dickie Dare
Buck Rogers
Scorchy Smith
Hairbreadth Harry
Connie
Big Chief Wahoo
Mescal Ike
Jitter
High Lights of History
Olly of the Movies