• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on Collecting Romance Comic Books

313 posts in this topic

Thanks guys!

More Hartley.

MyOwnRomance33fc100_zps6dc2134d.jpg

GirlComics12fc100_zps05dedff8.jpg

And to wrap up this small tour and come full circle to where it began with sacentaur and PreHero a few days ago, here's Hartley in 1952 paying homage to Bill Ward's masterful work for Quality in 1949.

TrueSecrets17fc100_zpsdec00b74.jpg

On some days I love this cover as much as Heart Throbs 1. On other days, more. It evokes strong feelings in me. Sometimes I call this cover Devotion, but other times it's name is clearly: Atonement. I feel that when Ward was tapped to lead Quality's entry into the competitive romance field in 1949, he reached deep down into his artistic soul and produced images the likes of which had not been drawn by him previously, or since.

It was inspired work.

LoveLetters01c100_zps4bce9136.jpg

Well if we're moving on to breasts...

The cover is by A.C. Hollingsworth, the "other" great African American comic book artist. He was the first African American artist hired by Fawcett and was responsible for illustrating...wait for it...Negro Romance, of course!

AllTrueRomance10fc100_zpsb26c1cc3.jpg

love the classic nick cardy cover on girls love stories 148-one of my fav covers-im lucky to have a 9.2 slabbed-it looks great

Besides the classic Super DC Giant S-17, and your 148, I like this Cardy a bunch too

GirlsLove139fc100_zps816358d7.jpg

Picked this up today at a local con, on the advice of a friend - not the typical Romance book, but I sure found it interesting.

ff92e19d-0c5c-41af-8776-a300921b1a2a_zps50ddc5a4.jpg

Nice pickup Steve. These TrueVision ACG's are very interesting. There are six of them: Romantic Adventures 46,47,48 and Lovelorn 49,50,51. All difficult to find, especially in grade.

Here are some interior pages from Romantic Adventures 48, where you can see how they play with depth

IMG_5146small_zpsf4bc6d5d.jpg

IMG_5145small_zps0886c609.jpg

Great choice dr love-gls #139 although to me not as great as 148, is still an amazing cover-you have great taste. Cardy to me is one of the best all time cover artists along with osker-there covers just pop of eye appeal and make you want to buy the book regardless of what the book is

love the classic nick cardy cover on girls love stories 148-one of my fav covers-im lucky to have a 9.2 slabbed-it looks great

Besides the classic Super DC Giant S-17, and your 148, I like this Cardy a bunch too

GirlsLove139fc100_zps816358d7.jpg

You do realize that every book you post immeadiately goes on my want list? :D

Nice pickup Steve. These TrueVision ACG's are very interesting. There are six of them: Romantic Adventures 46,47,48 and Lovelorn 49,50,51. All difficult to find, especially in grade.

The TrueVision is intriguing - as you note, the depth of the panels are very interesting.

Do you know why the TrueVision experiment wasn't continued?

Was unaware of the Lovelorn, will add those three to my want list (thnx).

The TrueVision is intriguing - as you note, the depth of the panels are very interesting.

Do you know why the TrueVision experiment wasn't continued?

Was unaware of the Lovelorn, will add those three to my want list (thnx).

The actual 3D movie/comic fad where you had to wear the blue/red glasses died after a brief burst of popularity. Once that happened, I would think that it made much sense to continue with faux-3D.