• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CELEBRATE THE DOUBLE COVERS
19 19

2,970 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, wormboy said:

And, as I suspected, the book (or one of the books they made) came back Qualified - Staples replaced, cover married, 8.0/9.0.

Link to PLOD

Be careful out there double cover lovers!

That's a shame :p

Am I getting this right - CGC have slabbed a double cover, and stated that they believe it to be a construct? 

Edited by Get Marwood & I
Barry Morse

21 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That's a shame :p

Am I getting this right - CGC have slabbed a double cover, and stated that they believe it to be a construct? 

Yep, they slabbed it, but qualified because someone added the second cover, replacing the staples when they did so.

Sold raw as a 9.4 double cover, came back 9.0 qualified married cover.

4 hours ago, wormboy said:

Yep, they slabbed it, but qualified because someone added the second cover, replacing the staples when they did so.

Sold raw as a 9.4 double cover, came back 9.0 qualified married cover.

I don't know how I feel about it wormboy. On the one hand, it's up in lights (as long as you understand the label terminology, 'married', 'qualified' etc) that the book is a 'fake', post production construct. "You tried to deceive, and we spotted it" CGC are saying. On the other hand, it seems that CGC will 'slab anything' regardless of authenticity and that doesn't seem right to me somehow. Don't they have a responsibility to maintain the highest ethical standards? Does grading a book like this uphold that standard? 

As well as this slabbed fake double cover, I've recently seen a slabbed ASM #1 with a Marvel Tales interior and a slabbed ASM #1 which was almost certainly a pence copy passed off as a cents by removing the price / date box. Wouldn't it be better if CGC had a policy of 'fraudulent avoidance' whereby they refused to slab (which potentially legitimises) any book that has been artificially manipulated with a clear intent to deceive? Wouldn't that act as a deterrent more so than a slab with a note / qualified label?

You could argue colour touch is an intention to deceive I suppose, but that is a process that collectors have been doing since comics began, sometimes for their own ends. The restoration label makes it quite clear what has happened to the book and you could argue that they have just tried to make an existing book look better. But adding something to a book to create an entirely new entity (a second cover, MJ insert) or cutting something off in an attempt to pass that book off as a different book (pence price / date removed) is surely a clear cut attempt at fraud. Shouldn't CGC refuse to be a part of that process?

What do you think?

6 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I don't know how I feel about it wormboy. On the one hand, it's up in lights (as long as you understand the label terminology, 'married', 'qualified' etc) that the book is a 'fake', post production construct. "You tried to deceive, and we spotted it" CGC are saying. On the other hand, it seems that CGC will 'slab anything' regardless of authenticity and that doesn't seem right to me somehow. Don't they have a responsibility to maintain the highest ethical standards? Does grading a book like this uphold that standard? 

As well as this slabbed fake double cover, I've recently seen a slabbed ASM #1 with a Marvel Tales interior and a slabbed ASM #1 which was almost certainly a pence copy passed off as a cents by removing the price / date box. Wouldn't it be better if CGC had a policy of 'fraudulent avoidance' whereby they refused to slab (which potentially legitimises) any book that has been artificially manipulated with a clear intent to deceive? Wouldn't that act as a deterrent more so than a slab with a note / qualified label?

You could argue colour touch is an intention to deceive I suppose, but that is a process that collectors have been doing since comics began, sometimes for their own ends. The restoration label makes it quite clear what has happened to the book and you could argue that they have just tried to make an existing book look better. But adding something to a book to create an entirely new entity (a second cover, MJ insert) or cutting something off in an attempt to pass that book off as a different book (pence price / date removed) is surely a clear cut attempt at fraud. Shouldn't CGC refuse to be a part of that process?

What do you think?

I’m not sure what to think about the grading of this book either Marwood.

The book can be sold either way. If sold raw the buyer may have no idea the covers were married (if they’re not educated enough to look at the staples and how the covers line up). If sold graded, the buyer now knows about the attempt to deceive and can make an informed choice. 

Still, it does seem like an opportunity for fraud (not this book really, but the ASM and others), I just don’t know what the answer is.

13 minutes ago, wormboy said:

I’m not sure what to think about the grading of this book either Marwood.

The book can be sold either way. If sold raw the buyer may have no idea the covers were married (if they’re not educated enough to look at the staples and how the covers line up). If sold graded, the buyer now knows about the attempt to deceive and can make an informed choice. 

Still, it does seem like an opportunity for fraud (not this book really, but the ASM and others), I just don’t know what the answer is.

Thanks for replying wormboy. It's nice when people share their opinions :)