• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CELEBRATE THE DOUBLE COVERS
19 19

2,970 posts in this topic

Here is a really interesting double cover of one of Dave Steven's great covers. The CGC grade is 9.4 with the note that the outer cover is a 9.6 and the inner cover is a 9.8.

About as pretty of a 9.4 as you will ever see.

IMG_3705_zps53gitjwq.jpg

How does that even happen, QC

That was my first thought as well - how does the book grade less than either the interior or exterior cover grade? (shrug)

The overall grade of the book was dropped to 9.4 because of a small rust on the lower staple. So the book got a 9.4 with a 9.6 1st cover and a 9.8 inner cover. It makes a cool label.

That was my first thought as well - how does the book grade less than either the interior or exterior cover grade? (shrug)

The overall grade of the book was dropped to 9.4 because of a small rust on the lower staple. So the book got a 9.4 with a 9.6 1st cover and a 9.8 inner cover. It makes a cool label.

I should add that it is not surprising about the rust on a bronze age staple. Probably from drool. :grin:

Interesting, I've never encountered that before - thanks for the explanation. (thumbs u

What kind of premium does a double cover warrant? Say for a non key book?

I'd say it's one of the larger niche markets - they will naturally go for a small premium but like any manufacturing error, not everyone likes them.

As a lover of unique books, I would personally pay a fair price over market value for most of the books posted here.

I'm not a fan of rusty staples and would like to see CGC note it on the label. That being said, I recently saw a CGC graded 9.8 Universal with rust on the staple. Of course it could have happened post slabbing but I don't think so. With that in mind, this example of a 9.6/9.8 book graded 9.4 puzzles me.

that makes no sense short of the interior having some sort of an tear or stain. do you have the graders notes?

Notice the paper quality. I can't imagine Light Tan to Offwhite will ever grade higher than 8.5.

^^

I know some of you are hunting these, but I find them really hard to find randomly in the wild. Like maybe 1 in 3-5,000 books I own, maybe even less frequent. Unlike 30/35 cent variants that clever collectors have been spying and grabbing for years, these require you to actually take them out of the bag to see if they are doubles.

What kind of premium does a double cover warrant? Say for a non key book?

I'd say it's one of the larger niche markets - they will naturally go for a small premium but like any manufacturing error, not everyone likes them.

As a lover of unique books, I would personally pay a fair price over market value for most of the books posted here.

Thanks. I recently bought a 9.4 graded Iron Man 37 Double Cover.

I'll post some pics soon.

I paid about $75 over GPA for it.