• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CELEBRATE THE DOUBLE COVERS
19 19

2,970 posts in this topic

I am going to go ahead and post the rest of my CGC graded ASM's with Double Covers I have a lot more but they are not graded and just posting a scan doesn't prove they are Double covers so I won't bother with those.

smile.gif Hear is my 196 I got this from a board member recently cloud9.gif.

582979-196%20125.jpg

589a8cf0d6e06_582979-196125.jpg.30d52b35cfe2b0463c31537765f0242e.jpg

Edited by cosmic-spider-man

I have a Punisher I bought 14 years ago with 4 covers. A friend of mine has a Heavy Metal magazine with 5 covers! 893whatthe.gif

BTW, I owned that ASM #196 double cover and sold it 6-8 months ago, it was a beauty! cloud9.gif

West

smile.gif Thanks Timely that ASM #196 is a beautiful comic cloud9.gif And it is great to hear about those multi covered comics could you post the Punisher? I have a X-Men #250 with 5 covers on it does anyone else have any with more than two covers on them I would love to hear or see them and I would also like to see more Double covers so keep them comming. 893applaud-thumb.gif

As a collector, I have never been that impressed with double covers since I always tend to go by the outer cover. To me, it's really nothing more than just another novelty or printing error. I would be a lot more impressed with a double cover if the outer cover was in the same condition as the inner cover. Does anybody have an example of a book such as this.

So far, every double cover book that I have seen has the outer cover grading lower than the inner cover. As a result, I have always focus on the outer cover grade (in small print) as oppossed to the larger inner cover grade which I personally view as misleading.

I believe the official grading should be based upon the what we can see (i.e. the outer cover) similar to all other graded books. The grading for the inner cover can be placed in the notes where they currently have the grading for the outer cover.

In theory, collectors should be willing to pay the same price for the book since it is still the exact same book after all. And doesn't everybody buy the book, and not the label.

I believe the official grading should be based upon the what we can see (i.e. the outer cover) similar to all other graded books. The grading for the inner cover can be placed in the notes where they currently have the grading for the outer cover.

Two points:

1. [*]You CAN see the interior cover--just open the book! If your response is "but not while it's in the slab!", then my rebuttal is that grading with the idea that the book will always be left in the slab is not the way it oughtta be done; the entire book should be taken into consideration[*]More importantly, CGC grades based upon the higher-graded cover simply because the book could be transformed into that grade by removing the extra cover. If the outer is a 9.0, and the inner is a 9.6, then the book could easily be made a 9.6 by removing the 9.0.

I believe the official grading should be based upon what we can see (i.e. the outer cover) similar to all other graded books. The grading for the inner cover can be placed in the notes where they currently have the grading for the outer cover.

Two points:

1. [*]You CAN see the interior cover--just open the book! If your response is "but not while it's in the slab!", then my rebuttal is that grading with the idea that the book will always be left in the slab is not the way it oughtta be done; the entire book should be taken into consideration[*]More importantly, CGC grades based upon the higher-graded cover simply because the book could be transformed into that grade by removing the extra cover. If the outer is a 9.0, and the inner is a 9.6, then the book could easily be made a 9.6 by removing the 9.0.

I fully understand these arguments since I've seen it countless times, but I just happen to disagree with them to a certain extent:

1) Based upon your argument, CGC is NOT taking the entire book into consideration. They are basically ignoring the outer 9.0 cover when they claim that the book is really in 9.6 condition. Well, just glad that they acknowledge the lower grade outer cover in their small print label notes.

2) May not be that easy to remove the outer cover without incurring some spinal damage to the inner cover which would then reduce it from it's current 9.6 condition.

Doesn't really matter anyways. Just that I would never pay 9.6 prices for a book displaying a 9.0 cover. I would probably split the difference and go halfway if I was in a good mood that day. To each their own, I guess.

1) Based upon your argument, CGC is NOT taking the entire book into consideration. They are basically ignoring the outer 9.0 cover when they claim that the book is really in 9.6 condition. Well, just glad that they acknowledge the lower grade outer cover in their small print label notes.

Hi; lou_fine

I do agree with you on the CGC graded Double covers they should be graded as the lowest grade instead of the higest because even if the inner cover is super nice it still has the outer cover attached so it should be the overall grade, that being said I have seen one with the outer cover graded higher than the inner one and if I recall right I think they still gave it the higher grade I think the inner cover had a chunck missing.

2) May not be that easy to remove the outer cover without incurring some spinal damage to the inner cover which would then reduce it from it's current 9.6 condition

You are probably right removeing the outer cover would be hard and may damage the inner one but why would someone remove the outer cover to get a higher grade on a comic I think is just plain crazy Double Covers are a rarity and that is why I collect them and I think they should be worth much more than a normal one simpley because they are hard to find their are no way to know how rare they are but I only ever found two new off the stands in nearly 30 years of collecting most of the ones I have now came off ebay in the last 3 or 4 years. I do see your point though most Double Covers do sell very cheep and on some comics ,if you are selling, you might get more for them as high grade rather than a Double Cover confused-smiley-013.gif But Please don't take the outter cover off a Double Cover comic that is just not Right. I do relize that Double covers are just manafactureing errors and if that error hurt the looks of a comic it should be worth less such as printing creases, off center covers, or bad miscuts but I think a extra cover is just a Bonus and should make the comic more desirable, it does to me.

Doesn't really matter anyways. Just that I would never pay 9.6 prices for a book displaying a 9.0 cover. I would probably split the difference and go halfway if I was in a good mood that day. To each their own, I guess.

everyone Just has different tast in collecting. I would pay 9.6 prices for a Double Cover with a 9.0 outer cover maybe a lot more if it were one I realy wanted but that is just me and I am sure their are a lot of people who think I am Crazy but I just collect what I like as I am sure most do thumbsup2.gif.

Now I would like to see more Double Covers if anyone has any they would like to post 893applaud-thumb.gif