• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Cookeville Collection
6 6

233 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Were there any duplicates in Cookeville?hm

Good question.  To the best of my knowledge, there were not.  But it’s always possible and unfortunately, there is not a master list.

There was so much variation in the initials that both of the Nationals posted above could make an argument for being a Cookeville copy.

On 6/5/2018 at 2:49 PM, entalmighty1 said:

I found my raw copy in an old Heritage auction.  Apparently from the "Prospect Mountain Collection," whatever that is.

12061213%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

Iirc, Prospect Mountain wasn't an OO collection.  So, it seems possible the collector who assembled it could have bought the Cookeville copy.  

@50YrsCollctngCmcs

Actually, that is a Cookeville.  There were multiple family members that worked at the store where the Mackie brothers bought most of their comics.  Their names are lost to the ravages of time, but there were two sisters that worked at the family store, one whose first name started with “S” and the other with “N.”  Just speculation on my part, but earlier copies mostly had SN and later in the collection the NN was seen more.  Maybe NN was a younger sister that worked in the store as she got a bit older.

I really wish CGC would correct the write up about the collection.  The two sisters were not the Mackie’s sisters.  If they were, the initials would be SM and not SN.  And if your family owned the store, why would you be buying comics from your own store?

3 hours ago, walclark said:

@50YrsCollctngCmcs

Actually, that is a Cookeville.  There were multiple family members that worked at the store where the Mackie brothers bought most of their comics.  Their names are lost to the ravages of time, but there were two sisters that worked at the family store, one whose first name started with “S” and the other with “N.”  Just speculation on my part, but earlier copies mostly had SN and later in the collection the NN was seen more.  Maybe NN was a younger sister that worked in the store as she got a bit older.

I really wish CGC would correct the write up about the collection.  The two sisters were not the Mackie’s sisters.  If they were, the initials would be SM and not SN.  And if your family owned the store, why would you be buying comics from your own store?

Thanks for letting me know!

I have a fair amount of Cookvilles. But this one is maybe my favorite. Since the old boards and Photophucket dumped the picture, thought it might be fun to post it again.

Bought from Stephen Ritter at SDCC a number of years ago. He told me it was only one of just a few that had the original buyer's name actually on it.

And no, NFS...

comairboycookville.jpg