• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Cookeville Collection
6 6

233 posts in this topic

Cool! My first one!!

Thanks for the input...I didn't want to presume that a book from this era is definitely a Cookeville just because it has "SN" written on it...but I suppose that's more or less the presumption, right? I guess no one else that we know of was writing SN on books....

Not the I know of.

There is really no incentive to do so. You don't really get a premium for Cookeville books.

I heard a slight variation of the original story from Harry. Harry said that he and Rick originally went to look at the books. When they got to the guys house, the books were all out in stacks on the kitchen cabinets and dining table by title. Harry and Rick didn't have the money to purchase the books, so they got in touch with Bob Overstreet. Somehow during this Jon Warren became involved and almost screwed the whole deal. At that point, Harry and Rick call Geppi in to purchase the deal. I believe Geppi purchased the whole deal for 100K and Rick got the early Caps (1 - 15 I believe) and Harry got the Whiz Comics (which at the time were smoking hot). Overstreet ended up spending almost 90K with Geppi on some of the books. Harry was particularly fired up about this, thinking that the financing from the whole deal was right there. If you knew Harry, he had some colorful words to describe the whole deal.

Not sure how accurate this is, but this was how the deal was told to me.

It's always good to hear the background behind the discovery of some of these GA collections. (thumbs u

Based upon some of the people involved here, it would not surprise me at all if the basic gist of your story is actually true. hm

Here's another candidate...only thing is that the "N" looks a bit strange...has an extra squiggle...makes it look more like "SW". But, it could be an "N", and it's located in a very similar spot as the "SN" on that All-American #64 I posted a few posts back. What do we think?

allamerican68_f.jpg

44 minutes ago, edowens71 said:

Here's another candidate...only thing is that the "N" looks a bit strange...has an extra squiggle...makes it look more like "SW". But, it could be an "N", and it's located in a very similar spot as the "SN" on that All-American #64 I posted a few posts back. What do we think?

allamerican68_f.jpg

Tough one, but I would lean against. Hard to see why there would be an upstroke if the second letter was meant to be an N. hm

Just now, edowens71 said:

Nah...seller didn't claim it to be a Cookeville...they were probably right :D

And thinking over my initial comment, there is an upstroke on an N, provided it's a capital, as at least some of these appear to have been.

So, maybe I should switch my vote. :insane:

2 minutes ago, tricolorbrian said:

I've shown this book in another cookeville discussion, and I think the answer i got was negative...but could this NN be a cookeville?  Has anyone else ever seen these initials before?

16544435611_7a9c45523f_c.jpg

No No