• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Cookeville Collection
6 6

233 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, walclark said:

They were also fans of Blackhawk.  The following copies sport the less common "SMN" initials.

1447071544_modern59001.thumb.jpg.b0b143e9ebf65ac0e5a6fe2b88374fe7.jpg

Wonder what the artist had in mind here as it looks like they both clearly had bedroom eyes for each other in this cover image here.  :blush:  :x

On 1/1/2021 at 8:54 AM, walclark said:

I think everyone knows how much I like the Cookeville collection.  It's like a hometown collection for me.  The town is about 80 miles from my home.  I have numerous ties to the area and I was really close to the two dealers that first brought the collection to the market.

Having said that, I disagree with its designation of pedigree status.  It's a nice collection with thousands of Golden Age comics, but I don't think it meets the criteria for a pedigree.  Of course, in and of themselves, the criteria are arbitrary.  It's not like there is a Federal Department of Comic Book Pedigrees.

I don't track the prices of Cookeville copies that closely, but my impression is that the market doesn't place any premium on the books.  Unlike Church, Okajima, Larson, etc., they certainly don't seem to sell at multiples versus similarly graded copies.  Maybe the market has spoken regarding the collection's status.

Good to see a fellow Tennessean on the Boards.  I'm west of you, about halfway between Memphis and Nashville.

Thanks to this thread, my Action Comics #81 was personally reviewed by Matt Nelson and determined to be a Cookeville!! I have 15 or so pedigree books and all of them have silver labels. This is the first time I’ve received one with a gold label and I really like it!!!! Do you have to ask for it?

C5A70965-03AB-485A-97A2-73F31BCABC33.jpeg

54B3CD8D-E554-4122-90B7-027094BD1CD8.jpeg

7 hours ago, Ghastly542454 said:

Thanks to this thread, my Action Comics #81 was personally reviewed by Matt Nelson and determined to be a Cookeville!! I have 15 or so pedigree books and all of them have silver labels. This is the first time I’ve received one with a gold label and I really like it!!!! Do you have to ask for it?

C5A70965-03AB-485A-97A2-73F31BCABC33.jpeg

54B3CD8D-E554-4122-90B7-027094BD1CD8.jpeg

Did CGC change the label color again for pedigrees?  Is this the new pedigree label color?

Nice book! :luhv:

12 hours ago, walclark said:

Did CGC change the label color again for pedigrees?  Is this the new pedigree label color?

Nice book! :luhv:

Yeah, haven’t seen a gold label one. Thought it was gray. Maybe they figured making it gold and prettier. They could sucker in a few more re-submissions. 

On 6/29/2022 at 2:31 PM, PDGray said:

Love to see threads about the different Pedigrees.

PDG

In this case then, I hope you've already placed your order and made an advanced payment for a copy of The Pedigree Book.  lol  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 6/29/2022 at 6:18 PM, lou_fine said:

In this case then, I hope you've already placed your order and made an advanced payment for a copy of The Pedigree Book.  lol  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Heard that story a few times.

I am actually, in my limited spare time, assembling a bit of knowledge about these with the hopes of making a YouTube video series about them.  I want to use my personal collection as references and tell the story.  There just isn't much out there.  I don't claim to be an expert on ANY of it at this point - but I am a pretty good researcher.  I think that SFCityDuck is MUCH, MUCH better than I am at researching these things - the work he has done on the Promise Collection is simply fantastic!

So, that is a long-term project I have on the horizon.

I would absolutely LOVE to get my hands on a Cookeville book of any description.

PDG

On 6/30/2022 at 10:35 AM, PDGray said:

Heard that story a few times.

I am actually, in my limited spare time, assembling a bit of knowledge about these with the hopes of making a YouTube video series about them.  I want to use my personal collection as references and tell the story.  There just isn't much out there.  I don't claim to be an expert on ANY of it at this point - but I am a pretty good researcher.  I think that SFCityDuck is MUCH, MUCH better than I am at researching these things - the work he has done on the Promise Collection is simply fantastic!

So, that is a long-term project I have on the horizon.

I would absolutely LOVE to get my hands on a Cookeville book of any description.

PDG

If you havent already try and get a copy of this issue of CBM, this was THE source for indepth golden age knowledge before the boards.

This issue spotlights in details many of the major pedigrees unearthed up to that point .

Screenshot_20220630-105443_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 6/28/2022 at 11:56 PM, walclark said:

Resurrecting this old thread because I received an email with a photo of this news article about the "discovery" of the collection.

109489548_3404521402914614_5046709134896000699_n.thumb.jpg.b647360f8f08609cdbdf420bf08f12e9.jpg

I know how much you love the pedigree Walter :hi:

Nice that that came your way 

On 6/30/2022 at 9:58 AM, sagii said:

If you havent already try and get a copy of this issue of CBM, this was THE source for indepth golden age knowledge before the boards.

This issue spotlights in details many of the major pedigrees unearthed up to that point .

Screenshot_20220630-105443_Samsung Internet.jpg

This is fantastic!!  Thank you!
I didn't know this existed.  Going to start my search for one now!

PDG

On 7/1/2022 at 8:00 AM, Robot Man said:

I’m pretty sure either Matt or Steve still have my advance payment for this book…:roflmao:

They nearly got me as I was actually thinking of putting the advance deposit down on the book as they had suggested, but thankfully decided not to in the end.  :bigsmile:

On 7/1/2022 at 9:00 AM, Robot Man said:

I’m pretty sure either Matt or Steve still have my advance payment for this book…:roflmao:

It's been so long that I can't remember but I believe I did send them an advance payment for this book.  If they have people's money for a project they aren't gonna complete perhaps they should refund.

On 7/1/2022 at 11:20 AM, thehumantorch said:

It's been so long that I can't remember but I believe I did send them an advance payment for this book.  If they have people's money for a project they aren't gonna complete perhaps they should refund.

You would think. Not that I don’t consider them both as anything but honest guys. But it has been a LONG time.

Perhaps I should mention a “pedigree book” discount next time I buy a book from Steve or deal with Matt at HA…